I haven't lost any weight.

Options
124»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    This is why I feel that many other threads on mfp are misleading. Many people reiterate that you can eat whatever you want, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit.

But for people like this poster who are already at a low weight, she will not be able to sustain herself on chips and ranch dressing. A 750 calorie bag of chips wont fit into a 1500 calorie a day meal plan realistically because it allows little other real food. I tried to say this once and people got upset.

I dont think she is paying attention at this point though.

You’re right, and I believe that giving that sort of irresponsible advice to someone that doesn’t know any better could potentially be harmful.

I agree. I hope she is reading the advice here but I doubt she is.....
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is why I feel that many other threads on mfp are misleading. Many people reiterate that you can eat whatever you want, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit.

But for people like this poster who are already at a low weight, she will not be able to sustain herself on chips and ranch dressing. A 750 calorie bag of chips wont fit into a 1500 calorie a day meal plan realistically because it allows little other real food. I tried to say this once and people got upset.

no they appear to have left.

it IS all about calories in and calories out. but the issue is mos people are not accurately and honestly logging. and thus are eating far more than they THINK they are. There appears to be tons of missing information in her diary and no use of a food scale.

but not one (female) should eat under 1200 unless under supervision of a doctor.

I was in no way saying one should live on pizza, chips and cookies alone :P
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

no they appear to have left.

it IS all about calories in and calories out. but the issue is mos people are not accurately and honestly logging. and thus are eating far more than they THINK they are. There appears to be tons of missing information in her diary and no use of a food scale.

but not one (female) should eat under 1200 unless under supervision of a doctor.

I was in no way saying one should live on pizza, chips and cookies alone :P

I know it is about calories in and out but people with lower TDEE's probably can't sustain themselves eating a bunch of high calorie junk food. So if they are just going to keep eating the same crap they are used to then they probably will quit soon enough. She eats one bag of chips and that is half her daily calories. Then when she is hungry and doesn't stick to it and doesn't log half of what she ate because she is so ravenous because she is not eating food that is nutritious and satiating then she wonders why she cant lose weight.

My point is that many people do have to change the type of food they eat so they can be full and satisfied. I'm not saying one has to eat healthy food 100% of the time, but for someone who is 128 lbs like she is, there probably isnt much room in her daily calories for a full sized bag of chips on a regular basis.

I do agree with you that many people dont accurately log btw.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    for the record - you don't actually need to eat healthy to lose weight, calories are king. it can just be harder to get enough food with calorie dense foods to feel full. and general nutrition may be hard to obtain which can help you feel better overall (but not lose weight - i gained a TON eating "healthy").

This is correct. Calories IN vs. Calories OUT is a simple way to explain that weight loss is a physics problem. Neglecting the nutrition aspect of dieting will make everything much harder and potentially harmful/deadly, but you could lose weight on nothing more than rice and water. Just ask the survivors of the Bataan Death March.

However, choosing the right foods FOR YOU is important because it's the strategy that will see you to the end. It';s very difficult to lose weight eating Cheese Wiz and Doritos and nothing else. Not only will you need to supplement your diet with vitamins, but those foods will fuel your appetite and make you crave more carbs. You have to find the right mix of foods for yourself that give you enough variety to satisfy you, while filling you up, meeting your nutritional needs (macros, etc.), while still keeping you at your daily calorie goal. Start by cutting out all of the junk and once you get comfortable with that, you can add back the occasional snack as a treat (log it!). It's ok to have occasional snacks because an important part of sticking to your diet is knowing that you're not cutting out your cravings for good. There is room for ice cream or chocolate in your diet, just not huge amounts nor everyday. A diet without those foods would be very difficult to stick to.

One last thing. The changes you make now are changes you'll want to be able to live with even when you meet your weight loss goal. Lots of people get to their goal and relax their diet and in a couple of years, put all of the weight back on and then some!

In summary, what you eat is important because it's the strategy that works best for you to stay in a deficit. For some people that's eating clean, for others that's keto, for other's that's vegetarian... you can try any of those strategies (or a zillion others) or come up with your own mix of foods that works for you. That's the key though. The one that works for you will make the whole process really easy. If you're struggling to eat clean, then that means it may not be the right strategy for you and it needs to be modified.

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Panini911. I went back and re-read her post. She didn't ask why she was hungry all the time. She asked why she wasn't losing weight. I am going to assume on the little info that we do have, that she isn't weighing food or logging food/exercise accurately. 1200 cals of chips is still 1200 cals. Which goes back to the basic cals in/cals out. Not quality of cals and all the technical stuff.

To the OP: be completely honest with what goes in and what goes out. Get a food scale and heart rate monitor if you don't have them. Don't quick log calories. Pay attention and be tedious. Yes, it's a pain in the *kitten* but if you are honest with yourself and your diary you will lose weight whether you eat 1200 cals worth of chips or 1200 cals worth of veggies. Will you feel better and be less hungry with the veggies vs. the chips? Yes. But that is completely your prerogative to eat whatever the hell you want.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Panini911. I went back and re-read her post. She didn't ask why she was hungry all the time. She asked why she wasn't losing weight. I am going to assume on the little info that we do have, that she isn't weighing food or logging food/exercise accurately. 1200 cals of chips is still 1200 cals. Which goes back to the basic cals in/cals out. Not quality of cals and all the technical stuff.

To the OP: be completely honest with what goes in and what goes out. Get a food scale and heart rate monitor if you don't have them. Don't quick log calories. Pay attention and be tedious. Yes, it's a pain in the *kitten* but if you are honest with yourself and your diary you will lose weight whether you eat 1200 cals worth of chips or 1200 cals worth of veggies. Will you feel better and be less hungry with the veggies vs. the chips? Yes. But that is completely your prerogative to eat whatever the hell you want.

QFT.

Also, I don't think she's around anymore. She probably went off to have that liposuction. :)

(The wanting to be a model and the reasons why are kind of a red flag to me, tho. I would say she's anorexic because of what she eats...and she *is* averaging 1200 calories more or less...because I'd weigh nothing on all the "crap" I eat.)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

QFT.

Also, I don't think she's around anymore. She probably went off to have that liposuction. :)

(The wanting to be a model and the reasons why are kind of a red flag to me, tho. I would say she's anorexic because of what she eats...and she *is* averaging 1200 calories more or less...because I'd weigh nothing on all the "crap" I eat.)

Er...WOULDN'T say she's anorexic because of what she eats. Damned finding the typos after the editing window is closed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

People generally don't say "eat whatever you want, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit" and stop, however. They add nuance, just like @Panini911 did:
    for the record - you don't actually need to eat healthy to lose weight, calories are king. it can just be harder to get enough food with calorie dense foods to feel full. and general nutrition may be hard to obtain which can help you feel better overall (but not lose weight - i gained a TON eating "healthy").