YouTube and Online Resources for Weight Lifting

Options
I’ve had a gym membership and have been consistently going to several months. I really enjoy group fitness classes and try to make it to at least one a week, but with my work schedule and the class schedules, it’s next to impossible. Also, I’m not a fan of cardio, I get so bored.. So a typical day at the gym for me is:

5-10 minutes of cardio for warm-up
20-30 minutes of machines
5-10 minutes (maybe) of cardio

My problem is, I have no regimen. I just go in and either do leg machines or arm machines (for like “leg day” or “arm day”), but really, I have no idea what I’m doing. At all. I avoid the free weight section at all costs because I REALLY have no idea what I’m doing there.

Can anyone recommend any online resources/YouTube channels on weight lifting so I can come up with an actual regimen rather than wing it?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good job with your consistency!
    Will the gym staff orient you to the machines or set up a simple program for you?
    Also check out this MFP thread!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • amdev23_23
    amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No, they want you to sign up for personal training. I got a quick session where they showed me how to use the machines and then tried to sell me personal training. I feel fairly comfortable on how to use most the machines, it’s more so which machines to use at what time that I have no idea what I’m doing with.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    The link @lorrpb posted has some excellent programmes including ones that focus on beginners, bodyweight, and dumbbells.

You have mentioned the machines a couple of times so I will leave you with these two links.

The article is a good read and it has a good simple machine routine.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

This is also a machine routine. Even though it says it is for women, men can do it too.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.
  • amdev23_23
    amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the info, thank you!
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I get why free weights would be imposing. I’ve been there. But I think there is a ton of value in some dumbbell chest press, bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc. I would recommend just watching some people who look experience and mimicking them but at a weight you can handle. The more you do it the more comfortable it will become
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    amdev23_23 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any online resources/YouTube channels on weight lifting so I can come up with an actual regimen rather than wing it?

Main Question is: What is your goal?

The reason why i am asking this is because, while any exercise is a move in the right direction, knowing what to do, would potentially improve weight loss, muscle gain, cardio vascular resistance etc.

Going blindly to Youtube, although positive, doesn't help if you continue to do random things.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If i was you i would go around on each machine none stop and do 1 minute for half hour 3 x week start lite weight and go up as it starts to get easy.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do a upper and lower body split(Monday_upper, Tuesday-lower). 4 days a week. Do this for 3 months. Then decide from there, where you want to go. Do not waste time with a trainer for machines. Do not mover complicate things either. Simple is best. Put in the time and effort, results will come. It is important to have a plan before stepping into the gym. This one is best for you you. Consider it, body conditioning to begin training. start.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would suggest Strong Curves, Strong Lifts 5X5, New Rules of Lifting for Women. My favorite youtubers are Fitnessblender or HasFit. I follow their video while in the gym. I go when it's pretty empty so taking free weights doesn't cause a problem.