How do you know how many calories are ACTUALLY in fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find the chart at the bottom of this page helpful for a quick reference:

https://www.lasting-weight-loss.com/calories-in-vegetables.html
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, but what I have read I tend to agree with those who are less rigid. If you are eating the recommended servings of fruit & veg (is it still 5-10 daily? in the revised food guide) and not choosing HUGE portions then it shouldn't be that big of a deal if you're not exactly exact. And even though MFP contains varying estimates, I think most things can be averaged out without going extreme either way.

If you think about it Weight Watcher members lose weight WITHOUT calculating most of their fruits & veg intake, but it is also based on being reasonable, it isn't a free-for-all just because they are considered "free" foods. For instance bananas are a free food, but only if you eat ONE banana not FIVE bananas. I'm assuming Weight Watchers still calculate that way...they tend to change their format regularly so perhaps it isn't...ANYHOO the principle still applies.....

except 5 servings of fruit can be up to 500 calories and that can and often does wipe out a deficit.

Same with veggies...

I am not saying that it has to be so strict that you are stressing over a carrot stick or even 4 or 5 but they do have calories and they need counted especially if you are stalled...or finding it difficult to lose weight or gaining...time to take stock of the CI CO equation.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, but what I have read I tend to agree with those who are less rigid. If you are eating the recommended servings of fruit & veg (is it still 5-10 daily? in the revised food guide) and not choosing HUGE portions then it shouldn't be that big of a deal if you're not exactly exact. And even though MFP contains varying estimates, I think most things can be averaged out without going extreme either way.

If you think about it Weight Watcher members lose weight WITHOUT calculating most of their fruits & veg intake, but it is also based on being reasonable, it isn't a free-for-all just because they are considered "free" foods. For instance bananas are a free food, but only if you eat ONE banana not FIVE bananas. I'm assuming Weight Watchers still calculate that way...they tend to change their format regularly so perhaps it isn't...ANYHOO the principle still applies.....

I would argue that WW members tend to be less successful in their loss/maintenance efforts than those who track calories. This is purely based on observations that I've made throughout the years of reading threads on MFP (I had another account before this one). 1-5 servings of fruits and veggies can easily wipe out a deficit. When I lose I stick to a 250 calorie deficit which is like... a banana and a side of peas and carrots. Not a lot of food at all.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options

It might help if you actually read through the thread, this was already addressed by some of us.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about it. If there are a few calorie options, I tend to pick one that makes sense. Really, I didn't gain weight by overeating on fruits and veggies! At the end of the day, a lot of this is a guesstimate and now I know that I maintain my weight right where I want it so the calories in vs. calories out must be working.
  • ikakakhel
    ikakakhel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Guava 100g 68Calories
    Small apple 50Cal
    Medium apple 65 Cal
    Large Apple 75Cal
    Banana 80Calories
    Grapefruit 45Calories
    Orange 60 Calories
  • ikakakhel
    ikakakhel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    2d3dlnddhn0j.jpg

I reduced 26 KG in 5 Months, strictly following Calories in/Gym
  • Gaspode661
    Gaspode661 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is always the UK govt official listing of food values: "McCance and Widowson" https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/composition-of-foods-integrated-dataset-cofid but you have to do some work to find out what the documents contain
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    ikakakhel wrote: »
    For reducing Belly FAT, I strongly believe on Weight Training 90 minutes and Protein Diet. No Carbs. I am no very smart, Waist size reduced from 46 inches to 39 and i am planning to reach 32 waist size

For weight loss the only thing that matters is calories, not cabs or other macros/macros ratios.

I eat 200+ grams of carbs a day and I'm nailing my weight management goals.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Might want to wrap your head around the fact that none of this is exact. There is no way to know exactly how many calories in the food you are eating can be used to raise 1gram of water one degree in temperature.

It's a complicated science. Not to mention every person's metabolism is different depending on the amount of muscle they have, how efficent their body is with using calories, how much sleep they are or aren't getting.

So go with the estimates and then compare to how much weight your losing.

Even then it wont be exact. So control only what you can control and don't get obsessive. Quit bad habits and adopt good ones for life and You'll be great.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Anita4548 wrote: »
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I can live with entering my apple as a medium or large. But a lot of people prefer to be more accurate, and the best way to be accurate is to weigh, after peeling and/or coring your fruit. You can also create custom entries to use in your diary, if the ones already in the database seem inaccurate. And quite a few are inaccurate and repetitious.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I don't know which entries to trust on MFP. Especially if one says Apple 100g - 85 cal and another says Apple 100g - 105 calories. I know the green tick means it's not user generated but if there isn't one that has a green tick then you have to pick another one. And as I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, even a couple of hundred calories can make a difference

If I see multiple entries, until I determine otherwise I pick the middle value from the cluster that is closest to consistent. I ignore the outliers. Not perfect, but a quick way to approximate if you have trouble finding exactly what you are looking for.

But yet, the USDA website would be a good source.
  • Elerian
    Elerian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's already been said but something my nutritionist told me that I didn't know was that the information on the package is for the product AS IS on the inside of the package. So if it says 1/2 cup, and it's something like rice, it literally means 1/2 cup DRY like in the package, unless it specifically says "prepared".
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Elerian wrote: »
    Not sure if it's already been said but something my nutritionist told me that I didn't know was that the information on the package is for the product AS IS on the inside of the package. So if it says 1/2 cup, and it's something like rice, it literally means 1/2 cup DRY like in the package, unless it specifically says "prepared".

Might read through the topic - because that has been mentioned, as well as the much more important point that it's by weight, not volume.

Many other tips and tricks mentioned you might find enlightening.