Looking for a good weight lifting site to follow

I've been weight lifting again for about a month after not lifting for about 3 years. It feels great to do it again! I am looking to amp up the routine because I find myself doing the same thing over and over like bench, curl, tricep - repeat. I know there is a host of exercises you can do to target the muscles. Does anyone know of a good website to check out that can give good exercises with good explanations on how to do them?

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Here are a few different options, depending on how advanced you are, what kind of equipment you have access to, what your goals are, and how much time you have.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I just look up form videos on youtube and compare a couple for a lift I am unfamiliar with, or that I need to re-review as I progress.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Personally, I will follow several youtube channels for inspiration/motivation (mostly just trying new exercise variations): AthleanX, Joe Bennet (hypertrophycoach), Dr. Mike Israetel/Juggernaut strength, John Meadow (mountaindog1), Jeff Nippard, RedDeltaProject (calisthenics), Jeremy Ethier, other good ones about bodybuilding in general (Eric Helms, Layne Norton, etc.)
  • Keto_Vampire
    *Would steer clear of stuff like bodybuilding.com, other mainstream sites filled with lots of "bro-y" information.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Coach Eugene Teo is a brilliant brilliant man. He's on Instagram @coacheugeneteo and has his own website ( www.ganbarumethod.com ) where you get one week free subscription or it's like $10 per month. There is a wealth of knowledge in there - videos, an extensive exercise database, workout plans, stuff about food as well as training - he is just phenomenal.

Other than him, I second Mountain Dog (also features on Eugene's site - they tour together often)
  • midwestj
    midwestj Posts: 4 Member
    www.startingstrength.com
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Thank you everyone for your input! I have a great starting point to work from!!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    I think AthleanX is one of the best YouTube subscriptions you can watch.

I love Jeff Cavilers ab stuff, but i rather listen to Jeff Nippard for the rest. Stephanie Buttermore is also really good.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    AthleanX seems to be very highly regarded! Very cool! Thanks again to everyone for their input!
  • kingjuwo
    kingjuwo Posts: 4 Member
    One thing i would like to also mention, compound movements are the best option for easy and quick muscle growth and also strength growth. So you are already good with compound movements alone unless you really wanna become a bodybuilder then isolation movements will become handy to too for the cuts and strations of the muscle.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Technique Tuesday with Jeff Nippard
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    AthleanX lost me on his most recent video about fat loss in men vs women. So much nonsense. Nippard has great informational videos. I also like Maxx Chewning , Guzman and Lipsett who have become more vloggers but still have good info occasionally
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited February 2019
    jdog022 wrote: »
    AthleanX lost me on his most recent video about fat loss in men vs women. So much nonsense. Nippard has great informational videos. I also like Maxx Chewning , Guzman and Lipsett who have become more vloggers but still have good info occasionally

Yeah Jeff is great, but I think he occasionally gets away/is resistant to receiving criticism because of how consistently good his content is 95+% of the time.

I find it strange how he has very little content on leg training and some of his videos he will explain how he doesn't like the good morning (or various other leg exercise) as an exercises because he has a particular injury; as a PT, I think he should be able to look beyond his own limitations. He does include plenty of content training legs, mostly unilateral movements...content pales in comparison to his content on chest, abs, arms, back, etc. (just not very balanced). Leg training is just not as "clickbait"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    jdog022 wrote: »

Yea, his generally message was ok, but that nonsense about eating specific foods based on sex was ridiculous. Although i loved his SF diet.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited February 2019
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    I like Muscle and Strength. If you click on the exercise, it takes you to a video of how to perform it.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workout-routines
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSnXBaGmkRZCy2ZQqgCQXw

I like Jason Gallant, he's a little different from a lot of channels, he's a successful natural bodybuilder and has a very good mantra / catchphrase "train the muscles, not the joints".

He gave me a slightly different perspective and really emphasises 'finding your own groove' in terms of form that works best for you, not being a slave to full range of motion if it results in your straining tendons and not stimulating the muscle belly.

Generally he advocates high rep ranges, and I have found this to be very useful advice.

He shows what it is possible to achieve as a drug free lifter, he's a little goofy sometimes but it's fun, and he makes his own music for his videos.
  • kakagonz
    kakagonz Posts: 3 Member
    Athlean x for me in YouTube is the best
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    I've been weight lifting again for about a month after not lifting for about 3 years. It feels great to do it again! I am looking to amp up the routine because I find myself doing the same thing over and over like bench, curl, tricep - repeat. I know there is a host of exercises you can do to target the muscles. Does anyone know of a good website to check out that can give good exercises with good explanations on how to do them?

I’m a student of Fortitude Training. I’ve been training Fortitude since about June and I LOVE it. I’ve made major gains in muscle and strength. Google it and check it out. It’s well worth the time investment if you’re serious about gaining muscle.