Being OK With Not Reaching Goal- How?

Options
I've been thinking this over and its very hard. Please bear with me.

I've been trying to get back to 135 for a while, but my weight has been hovering around 147 to 150 for the most part. My highest weight was 208, and I've lost most of it on WW, and got down to 135 here around 2017.

I'm seeing a dietitian (RD) for weight loss, and she referred me to a therapist for a possible eating disorder (binging and excessive exercise). We discussed my weight goals, again I want 135 lbs, and she recommended that I accept my current weight as a goal until things calm down. She also asked how I would feel if I never reached 135. I'm worried about health, I want skin removal surgery, I just want people to stop treating me like I'm fat and hopeless. That's why I'm still pursuing it.

My question is if anyone had to take a hard look at their efforts or life situation and decide if what they've already achieved is enough. Even if it means giving up a goal, or changing a goal. How can I tell myself it's okay to stay where I am for the long haul?

Thanks.

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mental health is just as important as your physical health, and if there's concern about a disorder it would be helpful to focus on that at the moment. You say you're worried about health, are there specific health concerns? Have you brought them up to your therapist?

I was prediabetic, gone now, but my family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes leaves me worried. So far my numbers are great and I was told not to worry. That's why it was suggested I set my current weight as goal for now.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    I used to suffer from body dysmorphia syndrome meaning that even at 108 pounds I felt fat and worked out like crazy. I never actually starved myself or vomited but it wasn’t good. I had to be medicated for anxiety which helped. Please don’t let it get to that point. Is it possible you feel “big” but are really perfect for your height? I think you are smart to seek help. How tall are you?

I'm 5'3" so technically still overweight, but yes I do feel big. I'll discuss this with the therapist too.

Thanks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this over and its very hard. Please bear with me.

I've been trying to get back to 135 for a while, but my weight has been hovering around 147 to 150 for the most part. My highest weight was 208, and I've lost most of it on WW, and got down to 135 here around 2017.

I'm seeing a dietitian (RD) for weight loss, and she referred me to a therapist for a possible eating disorder (binging and excessive exercise). We discussed my weight goals, again I want 135 lbs, and she recommended that I accept my current weight as a goal until things calm down. She also asked how I would feel if I never reached 135. I'm worried about health, I want skin removal surgery, I just want people to stop treating me like I'm fat and hopeless. That's why I'm still pursuing it.

My question is if anyone had to take a hard look at their efforts or life situation and decide if what they've already achieved is enough. Even if it means giving up a goal, or changing a goal. How can I tell myself it's okay to stay where I am for the long haul?

Thanks.

Can you give any specific examples of people treating you as fat and hopeless at your current weight? I ask because I find it difficult to imagine that in a society filled with people who are actually obese (not sure where you live, of course), someone who is only slightly overweight is being treated as fat and hopeless.

I bring this up because it seems to me that in addition to having an unrealistic perception of your own body, you may be projecting that perception on to other people and assuming they view you that way too.

As others have said, these seem like issues to discuss with your therapist.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Edited because i should've read first.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different but 147 sounds good to me, maybe you expect too much of yourself. I am 5'4 and weigh 157 and like you I was up to 208 lbs. I am happy to be where I am. I know everyone has different bone structure and my legs are not tiny and I also have boobs.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I learned to be OK with failing to accomplish a college degree.

I'm in my 40's and am at uni but there are others doing the same degree in their 60's. It is never too late to continue with your education.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I learned to be OK with failing to accomplish a college degree.

I'm in my 40's and am at uni but there are others doing the same degree in their 60's. It is never too late to continue with your education.

I'm a professor in my mid-30s and I have had students older than me. At my university it's not uncommon at all.