Being OK With Not Reaching Goal- How?

Options
2»

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I learned to be OK with failing to accomplish a college degree.

So did I. Though it's never too late. After 4 universities and 35 years since HS I finally got one (only because my company told me I needed one to be promoted to the next level). The point with that is that even when comes to fitness and the like, the process is just as important as the goal - and the goal may change.

@JeromeBarry1 you can still go get one if you want it, but I would submit it doesn't make you any smarter. I'm betting that you'll likely make some of the instructors and fellow students smarter. :smile:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you become okay with it when you have the realization that YOU are not YOUR WEIGHT and people really DO NOT CARE about your weight.

i may or may not ever reach my 'number' goal. im okay with that. as long as I am healthy, strong, physically able to do the things I want to do, happy with myself as a person, living a good life and enjoying life .... my gravitational relation to this planet is not a big deal.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Having put out here that I'm ok with not completing college, I got at least 3 people advocating that as a retired cis white male I should aspire to returning to the academy to get, what? Please understand, I'm not uneducated. I'm uncredentialed. My thinker works fine, and my knower is capacious.

Given your context, perhaps I would not have "advocated" it had I known. I've read enough of your posts to know your thinker and knower are fine. I was also perfectly fine as an educated person without credentials myself until I got a piece of paper that was requested of me. Otherwise I would have been happy staying as I was. It was meant as a compliment.

But...being educated (and now with a credential) doesn't mean I always communicate clearly. Carry on sir!
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    People focus way too much on goals and numbers (all those published numbers and marketed program stuff), and not enough on the process and doing what is right for their body. I am very guilty of this, but have more recently come to terms with better ways to measure my success. So now, I worry less about calorie numbers and weight loss numbers, and more about just doing the right things as much as I can. So I know what too many calories looks like from years back when I was doing the calorie counting here, and I eat within reason each day. As long as most days in a month are moderated, I can lose weight. Maybe a few pounds, and maybe several pounds, but it happens. Then I try to exercise at least a few times a week for actual exercise sessions, but I choose to park my cars futher away from the shop and walk in, I take walking breaks, I never take elevators, and try to stand often, etc. Just little things to stay active in daily life.

Doing the process and the best you can is enough. The numbers of your body will work themselves out there.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    This thread has taken a very interesting turn with the discussion of a college degree. It is clear to me that the posters encouraging pursuit of a degree were attempting to be encouraging. I would like to parallel that the people who commented on the OPs weight were also trying to be encouraging. As a human being I have sometimes reflected on my choice of words and wish I had stated things differently. And sometimes wished I hadn’t said anything at all. It’s clear that no one here was mean spirited in their comments. And I am hopeful that the OPs aquaintences were not trying to be unkind.

As to the original topic of this thread I think it’s sometimes smart to redefine your goals. The dietitian has concerns. Take a step back and consider why. How much exercising are we talking about? It might be time to break down into different fitness goals vs weight goals. Counseling can be helpful. You might also benefit from a planned diet break eating at maintenance calories for two weeks.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this over and its very hard. Please bear with me.

I've been trying to get back to 135 for a while, but my weight has been hovering around 147 to 150 for the most part. My highest weight was 208, and I've lost most of it on WW, and got down to 135 here around 2017.

I'm seeing a dietitian (RD) for weight loss, and she referred me to a therapist for a possible eating disorder (binging and excessive exercise). We discussed my weight goals, again I want 135 lbs, and she recommended that I accept my current weight as a goal until things calm down. She also asked how I would feel if I never reached 135. I'm worried about health, I want skin removal surgery, I just want people to stop treating me like I'm fat and hopeless. That's why I'm still pursuing it.

My question is if anyone had to take a hard look at their efforts or life situation and decide if what they've already achieved is enough. Even if it means giving up a goal, or changing a goal. How can I tell myself it's okay to stay where I am for the long haul?

Thanks.

are you healthy? is your bio metrics in the healthy range? do you accept your body as is? it is ok to morph your goals to reflect what is reality. its perfectly ok...often times we travel a path and the path leads to another place other than the one we planned ...and its ok to change roads based on where the road led you/
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I How can I tell myself it's okay to stay where I am for the long haul?

I think this is entirely the point of the therapist. You have some disordered thinking that is preventing you from viewing your situation objectively and that is causing you to be unreasonably hard on yourself. That is not likely to change without professional help. And once you've learned to view things in the right context, just think of the possibilities it might open up for you in all areas of your life, not just your weight & health! :)

I think I may have shared this link with you before, and I'll also leave it here for lurkers:

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

It's a tool for realistically assessing your health risk, based on age, weight, & other factors. Of course, it doesn't account for existing health conditions or family history. However, you have been told that your numbers are great and your weight is fine for now. Can you genuinely say if you got to 135 that you would suddenly cease to worry excessively about these issues? Do you truly think 10 lbs would make a critical difference? You are an extremely fit and active person... I would venture to guess that you are far better off health-wise than most sedentary people that are a several lbs lighter.

As to the comments from others- sadly, they are feeding into this weakness you have, but I'm guessing deep down you know these people have a problem, even if it is just thoughtlessness, that ultimately has nothing to do with you. Have you heard this quote before:

"You’ll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do."

You are a beautiful, healthy woman, and I'm so excited for you to get the extra help you need to realize it! :)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My goal weight is on the high end of my height range. I set this goal on purpose. So once I reach it I can reevaluate and see if I can go lower. If not, I'll still have met my original goal.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    After losing 100lbs, but still being shy of my ultimate goal weight for months now (a year actually), I have to remember that being *slightly* in the overweight category, but having an active, healthy lifestyle is still better than being 100lbs overweight. I would love to drop this last 10-15lbs forever, and I think I'll do it...but it's gonna be hard work of balancing exercise and diet to get there. I think a lot more of my body composition now than I did when I was just trying to shed lbs. I'm overall pretty happy with any progress (even if it's maintaining-ish) as long as I feel good about my body composition and athletic abilities.

If I had to stay at this weight forever? Fine by me.
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Specific examples? Being asked by coworkers why I'm still big (their words) for someone who's always at the gym. Being recommended a certain supplement to take when "I'm finally ready to lose all that weight" by a former friend. A congregation member saying I'm smaller but just not there yet. It gets irritating.

1st sounds like they're jealous that you actually bother to keep going and are finding a way to to bring you down.
    2nd, well, is it a supplement they sell with an MLM by any chance?
    3rd may just be trying to encourage you to keep going, or just being an *kitten*.

15lbs over your goal isn't that much, it's far less than most people carry. Having people who think it's ok to be that rude to you around isn't because of you, it's the type of people they are. They'll always find something to criticise. Too big, too small, too bulky.

If it'd make you feel better, you could ask your therapist if you could set a small defecit, 100 cals a day or something. Would still keep you losing slowly but not excessively.

But your mental health is really important, every bit as important as your physical health, you've gotten your weight to a point to improve your physical health, taking the time to improve your mental health is a good thing too.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this over and its very hard. Please bear with me.

I've been trying to get back to 135 for a while, but my weight has been hovering around 147 to 150 for the most part. My highest weight was 208, and I've lost most of it on WW, and got down to 135 here around 2017.

I'm seeing a dietitian (RD) for weight loss, and she referred me to a therapist for a possible eating disorder (binging and excessive exercise). We discussed my weight goals, again I want 135 lbs, and she recommended that I accept my current weight as a goal until things calm down. She also asked how I would feel if I never reached 135. I'm worried about health, I want skin removal surgery, I just want people to stop treating me like I'm fat and hopeless. That's why I'm still pursuing it.

My question is if anyone had to take a hard look at their efforts or life situation and decide if what they've already achieved is enough. Even if it means giving up a goal, or changing a goal. How can I tell myself it's okay to stay where I am for the long haul?

Thanks.

Can you give any specific examples of people treating you as fat and hopeless at your current weight? I ask because I find it difficult to imagine that in a society filled with people who are actually obese (not sure where you live, of course), someone who is only slightly overweight is being treated as fat and hopeless.

I bring this up because it seems to me that in addition to having an unrealistic perception of your own body, you may be projecting that perception on to other people and assuming they view you that way too.

As others have said, these seem like issues to discuss with your therapist.

Specific examples? Being asked by coworkers why I'm still big (their words) for someone who's always at the gym. Being recommended a certain supplement to take when "I'm finally ready to lose all that weight" by a former friend. A congregation member saying I'm smaller but just not there yet. It gets irritating.

I'm sorry people are being so terrible. The simple response is people who act like that towards you don't deserve to have their opinions affect you, especially a former friend. But easier said than done. Because it hurts.

"I'd rather be overweight than rude. Weight can be lost, being a jack*ss is forever" could be a response for these folks that offered their unsolicited opinions/advice that should shut them the *kitten* up.

Or, you could turn the other cheek and be kinder and say something like, "I don't find your comments helpful or motivating, in fact they hurt and I'd appreciate you not making comments about my body in the future."