Ideal weight for 5'9?

Options
I have no idea ...

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Depends on your frame. I'm 5'8" and my steady weight is 124 lbs, but I'm looking at a new goal weight of 120 lbs. What is your frame? If you don't know encircle your middle finger and your thumb over your wrist. If it overlaps, you have a small body frame. If your fingers touch, it's a medium body frame. If it doesn't quite touch and there's a gap between the two fingers, you have a large body frame. From there, I would say your weight can range from anywhere from 120-150 for a 5'9" female, but that is just my guess. Hope you get a clearer answer!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A lot more than your pictures show.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, you should be able to squat at least 1.5 times your body weight, and deadlift about twice as much as you weigh. And bench close to your bodyweight. But it might take a while to get there so you have to train hard.

.... Wait a minute. You mean how much *your body* should weigh? What a silly question.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and a half and my ideal weight is 142lbs. On paper at least.
    I have a medium frame and currently weigh 149lbs and am not at all "fat".
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Well, you should be able to squat at least 1.5 times your body weight, and deadlift about twice as much as you weigh. And bench close to your bodyweight. But it might take a while to get there so you have to train hard.

.... Wait a minute. You mean how much *your body* should weigh? What a silly question.

Very silly question as most with anorexia are fully aware of what they should weigh, and I speak from personal experience.
    A simple google search would bring up numerous sites, there is a bmi calculator on this site, and I am sure your doctor or whoever is treating you has also told you the ideal weight range.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just depends! I am 5'8'', small frame according to the wrist test mentioned above (my thumb overlaps my middle finger and can full cover the middle fingernail) and I'm currently 170lbs. No one believe that I weigh as much as I do, probably because I have a decent amount of lean muscle mass. I think I look best around 145lbs, which is my UGW.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think the whole IDEA is to be fit and healthy, my Dear. I am 5'9" at 169lbs and I can run for miles, do push ups and for the very first time in my life....I did 3 pull ups last saturday!! I am 37 years old and I am a champion!! You can be a champion too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and weigh 150 with 18% body fat. Your composition will be different from mine. I looked just fine at 175 and I look very skinny at 150.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think the whole IDEA is to be fit and healthy, my Dear. I am 5'9" at 169lbs and I can run for miles, do push ups and for the very first time in my life....I did 3 pull ups last saturday!! I am 37 years old and I am a champion!! You can be a champion too.

Great post, where is the like button?
    I am aiming to be able to do pull ups.
  • rachaellumpkin
    rachaellumpkin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on you. I'm 5'8" and between my frame and my chest, I can weigh 170 and look great, even though the BMI charts say I'm overweight. If I go down to what the charts say I should weigh, I look emaciated.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Doctor tells me I need to weight about 160... like others said, depends :ohwell:
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It depends on your build, muscle mass, and personal preference. Your BMI would have you somewhere between the low-to-mid 120's and the high 160's. Smack dab in the middle would put you in the 140's but there are so many variables.

At 5'10" I can tell you that, with a good amount of lean mass and a large frame, not to mention the fact that I never wanted to look waif-ish, I was too skinny at 156. I know other women who are very slight of build and who don't have much muscle mass who look great in the low 130's. I'm personally most comfortable with my appearance in the mid 160's but was told by my doctor that I was healthy even at 195 (20 pounds over the top of a "normal" BMI for my height).

Bottom line? Aim for good health first and foremost and worry less about the scale. If that's you in your profile picture with all of the ribs showing, you shouldn't drop any weight but if you're unhappy with your appearance, work on body composition by consuming adequate calories and doing strength training.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My doc wants me no more than 140 based on labs from the past. I'm 5'8". That weight is apparently when I am at my peak health assuming no change in muscle to fat ratio.

Here's a chart with weight ranges that might help you. Don't be afraid to put a little more insulation on those bones. It's good for your health. :)

Healthy-Weight-Range-Chart.gif
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    130ish-169 is what the BMI said last time I looked. Also, when I did Weight Watcher's before, that was the numbers given. But like everyone else says, it depends on your frame. When I weighed 163, I was really skinny. I felt much better and comfortable with myself at 170-175. And I still liked how I looked. I'm 5'9" btw.
  • candifeola
    candifeola Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and 149 pounds my ideal is 135 but it depends on how you feel in your body
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Ideal? Hard to say depends on so many factors. You could be an ideal weight but have poor body composition. Or you can be on the heavier side yet have optimal body composition
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ideal? Hard to say depends on so many factors. You could be an ideal weight but have poor body composition. Or you can be on the heavier side yet have optimal body composition

You still makin' sushi? Can I come over?
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options

You still makin' sushi? Can I come over?

Wife and kids ate it all. I am making other Chinesey foods later today though.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Please get help.