I can't believe I overestimated this bad.

Options
In 30 days I burned 56936 calories TDEE based on my fitbit 24/7 hrm charge 3 blah blah blah
I supposedly ate 51632 calories in this span of time

So roughly I should have only lost 1.5 pounds this month. I've lost 8.6 pounds.

How did I fall into this trap, I'm usually the one providing advice too! I weigh everything that I'm able to and do my best with portion sizes in the cafe at work. I didn't think I could overestimate calories this badly.

This is mainly a vent, as I can't really complain to anyone else. They would just roll their eyes at me. They don't understand that I'm worried about losing muscle mass.

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Is it possible it's your calories out that is more the culprit? Did you change anything that might have caused you to dump some water weight?

I understand venting, vent away!

I've been on a deficit with a few diet breaks thrown in since December 2017, My last diet break was in November 2018 so I don't think it's a big drop in water weight like you'd normally expect starting a deficit. I thought fitbit had overestimated calories burned, not underestimated. Lol this is so silly that I'm venting about this. i could have been eating more this whole time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Is this your first month on plan? If so, the difference could just be water weight, some of which may go back on in the next couple of weeks.

Is your Fitbit new? If so, it takes a while for it to become more accurate as it gains more data.

If not, I would start by adding some calories. Maybe try 200 per day and see how it shakes out next month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Are you on any new medications or supplements that might have caused a water drop?
  • endermako
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Are you on any new medications or supplements that might have caused a water drop?

Nope been on the same pill regimen since 2017, been drinking a gallon a day since november 2018
  • endermako
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Is this your first month on plan? If so, the difference could just be water weight, some of which may go back on in the next couple of weeks.

Is your Fitbit new? If so, it takes a while for it to become more accurate as it gains more data.

If not, I would start by adding some calories. Maybe try 200 per day and see how it shakes out next month.

I'm a deficit vet December 2017 was when I started. Got my fitbit in November 2018 as well. I'm going to reach out to my online trainer and ask her if I can increase my cals.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your Fitbit underestimates? I know my Watch is under by about 20 percent for me...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would have to think you would have noticed a change in how you feel if your deficit suddenly escalated to almost 6 times what you normally run. Still seems like water weight may be a culprit on at least some of it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I'm a deficit vet December 2017 was when I started. Got my fitbit in November 2018 as well. I'm going to reach out to my online trainer and ask her if I can increase my cals.

Is this a faster pace than you were losing at the last couple of months, or were you aiming for a slower loss this month and it didn't slow down as expected?
  • endermako
    edited February 2019
    Options

Is this a faster pace than you were losing at the last couple of months, or were you aiming for a slower loss this month and it didn't slow down as expected?

I was shooting for a -500 deficit each week. So even the 1.5lbs expected based on my stats doesn't make sense. Maybe that extra 5 lbs is some sort of water weight. I have suspected that my estimated calorie burns on the weekends seems too low...
    ETA: I'm 5'4 CW is 153.6 as of this morning so my goal is 1550 cals each week
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer put you on the calorie intake you are on (looking at your diary)? Following TDEE or MFP method?

If MFP method, you are not eating back exercise cals causing a bigger deficit. If TDEE, then that is off and needs adjusting.
  • endermako
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Did your trainer put you on the calorie intake you are on (looking at your diary)? Following TDEE or MFP method?

If MFP method, you are not eating back exercise cals causing a bigger deficit. If TDEE, then that is off and needs adjusting.

My trainer gave me macros to eat. MFP just equates it to 1550. I have premium so I manually inputted my daily macro goals, with 20% less carbs on non training days.

Fat: 50
    Protein:100
    Carbs: 175
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? Are these average/trending weights for start and end? Or single data points that could be anywhere within a fluctuation range?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I was shooting for a -500 deficit each week. So even the 1.5lbs expected based on my stats doesn't make sense. Maybe that extra 5 lbs is some sort of water weight. I have suspected that my estimated calorie burns on the weekends seems too low...
    ETA: I'm 5'4 CW is 153.6 as of this morning so my goal is 1550 cals each week

As Novus said, it feels like there must be some kind of water weight drop in there, because losing 2 lbs of fat a week considering your stats should have caused some kind of hunger or workout fatigue or something. I wouldn't increase cals too much right away jic, maybe just 250 and see what happens.
  • endermako
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? Are these average/trending weights for start and end? Or single data points that could be anywhere within a fluctuation range?

I record my weight every Sunday, But I weigh everyday pretty much. I've had the normal 1-2 lb weight fluctuations per week. It really depends on when I recover from leg day honestly. Sunday is the furthest day from leg day and it's always my lowest weight day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Didn't have a surprise chinese dinner that Sat at the start of the 30 days?

The macro method can be fine - protein based on LBM and activity level, fat set amount per lb - but carbs makes up the difference in calories to the selected level.

So even using the trainer's macro setup - there's a daily burn value in the math at some point - and it's wrong obviously.

Though I'll agree some was likely some water weight.

With winter and colder - are you sweating as much, doing as much cardio, ect?
    Those things affect blood volume, and water weight from it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about it, I humbly suggest you get a couple of dunk tests 6 months apart to establish some reality beyond whatever the scale can tell you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about it, I humbly suggest you get a couple of dunk tests 6 months apart to establish some reality beyond whatever the scale can tell you.

Actually - that is ONLY going to give you a bodyfat % figure - and from there still a formula driven BMR, and then estimated TDEE from self selection.

If anything, an RMR test, and from there a TDEE estimate, leaves out 1 estimate.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Deducting 20% of your carb grams on non training days - are you making those 140 calories up in other macros? If not, what about eliminating that deduction to slow the weight loss a bit (not sure how many training days you have in a week).