Transitioning off KETO..HELP

Hi all,

I’ve been doing the keto diet on and off for about 4 months now. The diet had its ups and downs but I recently made the ultimate decision to try a traditional diet/excersise plan. I want to stick to something sustainable and a little more flexible. I feel brainwashed after being on keto for this long. I have no idea how to incorporate carbs into my diet because in my mind, carbs are the enemy and will make me fat.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is, what is a balanced, nutritional meal plan that promotes successful weight loss?

Thanks so much!!!

Ps. I’m planning on doing 5 days of 60 min hiit workouts.

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Enter your info into MFP and it will give you your calorie target, factoring in what deficit you need to have in order to lose weight.

Expect to see an increase on the scale initially-this is water weight from reintroducing carbs and is not actual fat gains.

As far as what's a balanced way of eating-I prefer the models of the DASH diet or the Mediterranean diet (these aren't weight loss diets per se, but patterns of healthy eating).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Just start adding in the carbs that you feel are best. If that's veggies, add veggies. If it's fruit, add fruit. etc.

And don't worry if you regain a few pounds of water weight. It's just water.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Any meal plan that allows you to consistently be in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss. For overall health, it's good to get at least enough protein and fat; there's no need to worry about carbs unless you have a medical condition related to carb intake.

Many people feel more satisfied if they eat protein, fat, and/or fiber. You can try out combinations of these nutrients to see which one(s) help you feel full.

It's also good to eat a variety of foods that provide different micronutrients. If you don't have any diagnosed deficiencies or other relevant conditions, a varied diet that includes fruits and veggies is probably going to get you the vitamins and minerals you need.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    You’ve been given good advice above. Just eat food. It doesn’t need to be complicated. As far as macros go, don’t stress so much. I’ve lost 80 pounds and here’s what worked for me - YMMV.
    #1 I aim for my calorie goal. Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit.
    #2 I aim for my protein goal to guard against muscle loss.
    #3 I don’t stress about carbs and fats. Some days one is up, some days another.
    Good luck!
  • Dontkillbill
    Dontkillbill Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2019
    I am planning on doing the same after a few more months. Hoping to stay off sugar, white rice and white bread. I think sweet potatoes, steel cut oatmeal and quinoe are good choices. I am watching with interest.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Eat the foods you love. Stay in a calorie deficit. Lose weight.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Don't overthink it. It's not complicated. Eat the widest variety of foods you can in reasonable amounts. MFP is a reasonable boundary and all of the constructs are here. Set yourself up and you can tweak your macros while you keep tooling along.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    What motivated you to do keto to begin with?
    For myself, I find that many of the foods I easily overindulge in are carbs so by cutting them I naturally drop weight easier because I can't eat so much actual 'real food' compared to pizza and chips.
    If you are like that at all, maybe start increasing your carb intake slowly with foods that have a bit more to offer nutritionally. Carby vegetables, quinoa, w/e.

Some people seem to have little problem regulating the amount they eat - all they need is the nutritional breakdown and they will eat the reasonable amount within their goal. I envy these people and I know I will get there eventually, but if I was so great at moderation I originally wouldn't have gotten fat to begin with. So for now I find it better to avoid certain food groups. Anyhow that's off topic a bit - I just mean that if you have a similar issue, then upping your carbs with non trigger foods will probably help you avoid a backslide.
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    There was good post I found from AnnPT77 explaining how to do lose weight without any fad diets (I thought it was already a sticky but now I can't find it) I hope someone can link it for u or find it for urself.. on other side (not to be rude or anything) but no way for average person to be able to do proper HIIT for 60 min, 5 days a week.. u should look a bit into it too in order to be able to log properly
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    neyagoal wrote: »
    There was good post I found from AnnPT77 explaining how to do lose weight without any fad diets (I thought it was already a sticky but now I can't find it) I hope someone can link it for u or find it for urself.. on other side (not to be rude or anything) but no way for average person to be able to do proper HIIT for 60 min, 5 days a week.. u should look a bit into it too in order to be able to log properly

Oh I found it, it's sticky but can't link it, anyway search on mpf:FREE Customized Personal Weight Loss Eating Plan! (Not Spam or MLM)
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    you should not be doing 5 days of 60 mins of HIIT. in fact if you are doing HIIT for 60 mins...you are not doing real HIIT. its not likely at all you could sustain a true HIIT for 60 straight mins if you are doing it right. HIIT should be about 20 mins (i put 5 mins on each side of that) and you should really only do 3 sessions per week. you can do other things on the other days either cardio or strength related.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    I would suggest finding your TDEE (this doesn't include cardio). Then subtract 100-200 calories and start there. If you are not losing more than a pound a week, then drop calories again or up the cardio (although you are doing a ton of cardio it seems). Now, break up your calories into macronutrients (proteins, carbs, fats). Protein should be about 1g/lb of body weight. Fats should be 20% of your daily calories. The rest should be carbs (remember units are in grams). Try to stay within 5g (under or over) of each macronutrient.

I have done this plan before and I believe it can work for anyone.

P.S. If you don't want so much protein because you aren't trying to gain muscle, then feel free to shift that over to carbs. Carbs aren't bad, they give you energy. As long as you are under your TDEE calories, you will lose weight, no matter what your carb amount is.
  • fitness9656
    fitness9656 Posts: 15 Member
    Intermitent fasting. Eat what you want for 6 days, eat nothing for one day. Repeat.