2»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    JanetReyna wrote: »
    So you changed your mind about following an actual program then? :huh: :noway:

No, but I wasn’t being too specific on how I was working out and how I wasn’t consistent enough. Like to be honest, I’ve never been consistent with that workout plan so I don’t really know if I could get results or not.

You will get nothing without consistency. You will not lose weight, you will not have a body composition you want. Both of those things require dedication and work.

I know, I'm just being honest it's hard to be consistent at times and have motivation but I am determined I can reach my goals this year, I just want to be more knowledgable at the gym and with strength training.

Fine. Do something like Starting Strength 3x per week. Accurately log your caloric intake. Make both a habit, and you'll see results. If you want to be more knowledgeable, then do what you've been advised instead of hoping someone will come along and say whatever it is that you want to hear.

I understand how hard it can be to stick to a routine and create that habit - I've had more than my share of starts and stops. But if you *actually* want to achieve the things you're talking about, you HAVE to put on your Adult pants and create the habits that will allow you to achieve those goals. Motivation is fleeting. Create habits and don't allow yourself to get out of them.

Agh, especially tougher when you have a boyfriend that loves going out to eat, and OMG I love going out to have dinner and eating dessert. It is really difficult to stay on track. I'm hispanic and we go to Mexico every weekend and agh, raspas, tacos, everything gets to my cravings I swear. Staying consistent has been harder than ever for me, especially tracking every single thing I eat. I really wish I could just magically have the body of my dreams without putting so much work into it, lmfao. But again, I know that is and will never be realistic. Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate it :) God bless, and have an amazing weekend.

I’ve lost 60 pounds and maintained that loss for about 3 years now and I eat out at least 3-5 times a week. I grew up on the border and Mexican food has always been pretty much a staple in my diet. My quick meals at home are often enchiladas, huevos rancheros, chilequiles, tacos, posole… My “trick” is to rely on habits, not motivation. If I relied entirely on motivation moment to moment, I’d live on flautas and queso and weigh 500 pounds.

I go into restaurants with at least a general plan for what I’m going to eat. I usually eat about half my meal and take the rest home to eat the next day. Just like I know whether I can financially afford a particular restaurant, I track my food and know how many calories I can “afford”. Some nights it’s three courses and wine at a steakhouse, some nights it’s street tacos at the taqueria down the street. Use motivation to help you get new habits in place. Once you create a new “normal” a lot of this just falls into place.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    There’s already a ton of great advice here. The only other thing would be to hire a coach to take you through the process.

Pshttt, I would hire anyone ASAP.
    Unfortunately, I feel like the trainer at my gym doesn't have too much knowledge.
    He won in a body composition and trust me, he has an amazing physique, but he only ate tilapia and vegetables while being in the process to compete and I feel he might now really know how to train myself.
    I do gotta say though, the guys he trains are starting to get cut and muscles.

The trainer doesn't have to give you a meal plan. Competing is a completely different thing; I doubt he'd give a meal plan like that if you are not competing. As for the "I feel he might not know how to train me", that is a huge assumption.
    Seems your biggest problem is consistency, so hiring a trainer to motivate you for a while and knowing you'd have to make it to your personal training appointments could be beneficial for you.
    That said, learning how to be consistent on your own would be good, unless you'd want to pay for personal training for years to come.

I can pay him and that would be good, but, his wife is also a trainer there and the other day she told me I needed to neglect the weights for a while and focus a little more on cardio in order for me to see results. You can see how I'm not really sure about getting him as a trainer. But, if you look at him, at his physique he seems to have a really good body composition. Take a look. sgk0qq0494c4.jpg
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

No, but I wasn’t being too specific on how I was working out and how I wasn’t consistent enough. Like to be honest, I’ve never been consistent with that workout plan so I don’t really know if I could get results or not.

You will get nothing without consistency. You will not lose weight, you will not have a body composition you want. Both of those things require dedication and work.

I know, I'm just being honest it's hard to be consistent at times and have motivation but I am determined I can reach my goals this year, I just want to be more knowledgable at the gym and with strength training.

Fine. Do something like Starting Strength 3x per week. Accurately log your caloric intake. Make both a habit, and you'll see results. If you want to be more knowledgeable, then do what you've been advised instead of hoping someone will come along and say whatever it is that you want to hear.

I understand how hard it can be to stick to a routine and create that habit - I've had more than my share of starts and stops. But if you *actually* want to achieve the things you're talking about, you HAVE to put on your Adult pants and create the habits that will allow you to achieve those goals. Motivation is fleeting. Create habits and don't allow yourself to get out of them.

Agh, especially tougher when you have a boyfriend that loves going out to eat, and OMG I love going out to have dinner and eating dessert. It is really difficult to stay on track. I'm hispanic and we go to Mexico every weekend and agh, raspas, tacos, everything gets to my cravings I swear. Staying consistent has been harder than ever for me, especially tracking every single thing I eat. I really wish I could just magically have the body of my dreams without putting so much work into it, lmfao. But again, I know that is and will never be realistic. Thanks for helping, I really do appreciate it :) God bless, and have an amazing weekend.

I’ve lost 60 pounds and maintained that loss for about 3 years now and I eat out at least 3-5 times a week. I grew up on the border and Mexican food has always been pretty much a staple in my diet. My quick meals at home are often enchiladas, huevos rancheros, chilequiles, tacos, posole… My “trick” is to rely on habits, not motivation. If I relied entirely on motivation moment to moment, I’d live on flautas and queso and weigh 500 pounds.

I go into restaurants with at least a general plan for what I’m going to eat. I usually eat about half my meal and take the rest home to eat the next day. Just like I know whether I can financially afford a particular restaurant, I track my food and know how many calories I can “afford”. Some nights it’s three courses and wine at a steakhouse, some nights it’s street tacos at the taqueria down the street. Use motivation to help you get new habits in place. Once you create a new “normal” a lot of this just falls into place.

Ufffff! Tacos are my fave girl, so are enchiladas! but, I try to make a lighter version of everything. Tostadas can be pretty healthy if you make them healthy. Do you track every single thing you eat? I have a hard time tracking Mexican food because it's a little more difficult.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

Ufffff! Tacos are my fave girl, so are enchiladas! but, I try to make a lighter version of everything. Tostadas can be pretty healthy if you make them healthy. Do you track every single thing you eat? I have a hard time tracking Mexican food because it's a little more difficult.

When I was losing, I tracked everything with calories. Even now, I check the information for my recipes, for new foods, and use the database to estimate restaurant calories. If I ever get over the flu, I'm going to work on losing another 5-10 pounds. Once I start that, I'll be back to tracking everything.

Tracking Mexican food is the same as tracking any other kind of food. It's made from ingredients that come with a nutrition label. Foods without labels, like vegetables or meat are in the database as individual foods. They go on the scale and into the dish.

I think you just need to do something. Don't worry about changing everything all at once and not immediately being perfect at it. Just start. Track what you eat now for a couple of weeks. Use that information to figure out what you need to do to get your calories to the appropriate deficit and be as satisfied as possible. Once you've got a handle on that, pick a lifting program and start that. Just worry about the first step. There will be plenty of time to get to the next one and the one after that. Just start!
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    There’s already a ton of great advice here. The only other thing would be to hire a coach to take you through the process.

Pshttt, I would hire anyone ASAP.
    Unfortunately, I feel like the trainer at my gym doesn't have too much knowledge.
    He won in a body composition and trust me, he has an amazing physique, but he only ate tilapia and vegetables while being in the process to compete and I feel he might now really know how to train myself.
    I do gotta say though, the guys he trains are starting to get cut and muscles.

The trainer doesn't have to give you a meal plan. Competing is a completely different thing; I doubt he'd give a meal plan like that if you are not competing. As for the "I feel he might not know how to train me", that is a huge assumption.
    Seems your biggest problem is consistency, so hiring a trainer to motivate you for a while and knowing you'd have to make it to your personal training appointments could be beneficial for you.
    That said, learning how to be consistent on your own would be good, unless you'd want to pay for personal training for years to come.

I can pay him and that would be good, but, his wife is also a trainer there and the other day she told me I needed to neglect the weights for a while and focus a little more on cardio in order for me to see results. You can see how I'm not really sure about getting him as a trainer. But, if you look at him, at his physique he seems to have a really good body composition. Take a look. sgk0qq0494c4.jpg

Two options:
    1. Hire a trainer to help with motivation and consistency (which seem to be your biggest problem - so this option is probably best) and accept that he might have you do a few exercises you don't really enjoy. And yes, that might include a little more cardio along with the strength training if you say fat loss is one of your goals.
    2. Look online for a program that you think you will enjoy doing, but you have motivate yourself.

*Of course, none of those two options will yield good results if you also don't take care of your diet.
  • JanetReyna
    Options
    By seeing his physice he does seem to know how to train right?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

There is no way for us to know that. Many people succeed in spite of what they know not because of it.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'd hope so if he works as a trainer...
    You seem very focused on this guy as a trainer. Are there no other trainers at your gym beside him or his wife?
    If you are worried about his wife influencing his training for you, choose another trainer.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

He knows how to train himself, if you aren’t going to eat/sleep/workout like him OR if you’re not trying to look like him, then his plan probably isn’t best for you.

The most fit person isn’t necessarily the best trainer just like the smartest person isn’t necessarily the best teacher.