Potassium

Options
What do you guys eat to meet your potassium needs?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Bananas!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    In addition to bananas I consume coconut water, tomatoes, watermelon (very high for low calories), potatoes (they are not evil), appricots, milk (not evil either) and meats do contain potasium even though not listed in data base. I really wish potassium was a required listing.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy. Out of my regular foods, potatoes are probably the best source. You're probably getting more than you think since a lot of foods aren't labelled with potassium in the database.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I tend to run low on potassium due to Celiac disease and have found orange juice, peanuts, raisins, potatoes and bananas to be the best for that.
  • missmeganlyn
    Options
    I had no idea that a lot of food didn't provide the potassium info..lol we'll that's good to know. I eat a lot of vegetables and I usually have a banana a day. I pretty much only eat fish/shellfish. Idk if they have more or less potassium then other meats. But I'll have to look into it! Thanks guys.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I read an article that stated Potassium is so common in all foods that there is really no need to track it. It is very rarely diagnosed as a nutrient that someone might be deficient. If I remember correctly, the only group of people who are deficient with any regularity are alcoholics who eat very little and get all their calories from alcohol.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am gluten, dairy and banana allergic and have low potassium so I have a lot of coconut water (no sugar kind), tomatoes, beets and beet greens, goji berries, lentils, carrots, beans (kidney, garbanzo, etc.), avocado, and swiss chard :bigsmile:
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Need a boost of potassium? Try low sodium (not the regular stuff) V8 juice. 8 ounces has over a 1000 mg.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, spinach, & potatoes mostly.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that a lot of food didn't provide the potassium info..lol we'll that's good to know. I eat a lot of vegetables and I usually have a banana a day. I pretty much only eat fish/shellfish. Idk if they have more or less potassium then other meats. But I'll have to look into it! Thanks guys.

Shrimp and Fish are really good too.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Romaine lettuce has a lot so I usually have that. I'm not crazy about bananas. Does salmon have a fair bit? Chili has tons too.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You can add some tomato paste to recipes to pump up the potassium quickly. This website has some great info on potassium contents of foods: http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/
  • kpcardwell
    kpcardwell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that I needed to increase my potassium to decrease water retention. If you get the "salt substitute" stuff it is LOADED with potassium. It tastes gross, so I bought empty pill casings and filled it with the salt and got a huge dose.

Make sure you take it with a meal.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Need a boost of potassium? Try low sodium (not the regular stuff) V8 juice. 8 ounces has over a 1000 mg.
    That^ or tomato juice very good sources
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

The food database contains many errors.

Sorry. I forgot to warn you to buckle your seat belt first. LOL
  • musicalboats
    Options
    I was just thinking of a similar thing the other day...

I am always low on potassium... Maybe get around 15% of the recommended amount a day. Does it actually matter a whole lot?

And on a side note, the majority of the foods I am entering do show potassium levels, so I don't feel like the low numbers are due to no information.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat to meet your potassium needs?

kiwifruit.
  • atibrat
    atibrat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    white beans, Spinach, white mushrooms and avocados are all higher in potassium than bananas. I eat a lot of raw spinach in salads.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that I needed to increase my potassium to decrease water retention. If you get the "salt substitute" stuff it is LOADED with potassium. It tastes gross, so I bought empty pill casings and filled it with the salt and got a huge dose.

Make sure you take it with a meal.
    I have no idea how much is in that salt substitute stuff, so it might not be a problem, but be careful of getting a "huge dose". Too much potassium can be very dangerous, which is why (in the UK at least) you can't get very high amounts in over the counter supplements.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    sweet potatoes, black beans, spinach, bananas. Personally, I eat a sweet potato everyday with cinnamon and a Splenda to keep the leg cramps away, works like a charm.