Potassium

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Funny I found this post. I was just checking mine as I had a bad muscle cramp in my leg.

Based on this site I am so low it's scary but then when I checked most foods don't list it even if it's in them.

So I found this site
    http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/

Great list. Top of the list tomaoes paste followed by everything tomatoe....
    Just as a note as well a baked potatoe has double the potassium of a banana....;)
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am gluten, dairy and banana allergic and have low potassium so I have a lot of coconut water (no sugar kind), tomatoes, beets and beet greens, goji berries, lentils, carrots, beans (kidney, garbanzo, etc.), avocado, and swiss chard :bigsmile:

I will have to check out coconut water, haven't tried it and if sugar free probably much lower in calories than orange juice.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    great question. was wondering the same thing. my potassium seems low every day.
  • haylsquish
    haylsquish Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Banana's, mushrooms and leafy greens like kale and spinach!
    (Is there anything Kale doesn't do?!?!)

Banana's can be full of sugar though, so I just make sure I incorporate spinach, kale and raw mushroom into a salad at some point in the day and that does the trick - I hardly ever get cramps when I work out now!

46967410.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    great question. was wondering the same thing. my potassium seems low every day.

The DB rarely has potassium filled in.

Most people get enough from normal food.

I get mine from coffee. :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    What do you guys eat to meet your potassium needs?

Salmon, bananas and potatoes for me.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that I needed to increase my potassium to decrease water retention. If you get the "salt substitute" stuff it is LOADED with potassium. It tastes gross, so I bought empty pill casings and filled it with the salt and got a huge dose.

Make sure you take it with a meal.
    I have no idea how much is in that salt substitute stuff, so it might not be a problem, but be careful of getting a "huge dose". Too much potassium can be very dangerous, which is why (in the UK at least) you can't get very high amounts in over the counter supplements.

Yes, please ask your doctor about what you are doing and no one else should follow this advice. Potassium can cause serious heart trouble if taken excessively.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Actually most people do not get enough potassium in their diet .... Low potassium can be bad. Just raising your potassium intake can actually lower you blood pressure too .....

4700mg/day is what is recommended for an ACTIVE adult, ie ... exercising, cardio, working out, running, ect .....

Go online and check out some of the latest studies on it ... it is very a important macro ...
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    prunes
    bananas
    avocado
    potato
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your fruits and veg, you most likely don't need to worry about it. People who skimp on their fruits and veg are often deficient. Keep in mind that it is not required by law to include potassium on food labels so a lot of the food you're probably eating already has it in there and you just don't know it.

Due to the nature of my workouts and how much I sweat, I also drink at least 1 can of low sodium V8 juice daily (about 1,000 mg potassium in 8 oz) and I drink coconut water after my runs and what not...natures gatorade. I avoid the coconut waters with all kinds of additives and added sugar though..kind of defeats the purpose and might as well just drink a gatorade.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going, but my High on pot thread withers away. It's so unfair!

unfair_zps73fd61c7.gif
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    you can alos go online and find a chart that shows you the potassium content of almost everything you eat. Then add those into your MFP foods. Then they are there for good in your diary.

Like an average banana has around 400-500 mg of potassium, ect .....
    avg egg has 55mg

1/2 cup of carrots is around 175mg ....ect ..ect... add this to your food list ....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    you can alos go online and find a chart that shows you the potassium content of almost everything you eat. Then add those into your MFP foods. Then they are there for good in your diary.

Like an average banana has around 400-500 mg of potassium, ect .....
    avg egg has 55mg

1/2 cup of carrots is around 175mg ....ect ..ect... add this to your food list ....

Dang, I forgot about eggs.

I alter my previous entry to Salmon, bananas, potatoes and eggs.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Cantaloupe and papaya ...

ETA: Look up nutrient levels on Nutritiondata.com ... it's more accurate than MFP for micronutrient contents ...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies. Usually with the greens and the fruit I choose they have tons of potassium.