February 2019 Self-care Challenge

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 3,073 Member
A day late, but new month, new thread. January hasn't been the best self-care month for me, so I'm looking for some inspiration! ;)

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,193 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am going to focus on self care this month with gusto!
    I did meditate for 19 days in a row in January but ruined my streak yesterday because I stayed out too late and when I meditated it was already Saturday! :)
    Thanks for setting up the thread!!
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This week proved too difficult to stay on track with everything, but it's over. I suppose my self care is starting healthy living again instead of giving up because of a bad week.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Good morning! I am going to focus on self care this month with gusto!
    I did meditate for 19 days in a row in January but ruined my streak yesterday because I stayed out too late and when I meditated it was already Saturday! :)
    Thanks for setting up the thread!!

Since you didn't go to sleep, I think your "Saturday" meditation counts as Friday, especially if you plan to meditate again today. :)
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yesterday I took a day to "do nothing." I hung around the house in my pajamas and watched the office. I finished setting up February in my bullet journal and continued working on my home collection. My two big habits I'm trying to build this month are at least ten minutes of yoga a day and at least ten minutes of reading a day. These are both party of creating a better sleep routine. So far, I'm on track for February.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Self care: Getting out of my comfort zone, pushing aside guilt, and speaking my truth despite how uncomfortable. These last 8 days have been all that and more.

Today, I’ll have lunch with my cousin who is like a brother to me. We grew up on the same street and were best friends. I haven’t seen him for two years because of busy lives, so I reached out to him and we are meeting at noon. The past was not pleasant for him ; very violent childhood but he has risen above it. I am so proud of him. I can’t wait to hug him.
  • PKM0515
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Orphia, thank you for reposting those suggestions! I've been wanting to do that, but can't figure out how to copy/paste on my Kindle and rarely get on my slow laptop.

Sometimes we really do need reminders about the basics. I've not been taking my medicine as I should (No. 12).
  • 57discovery
    57discovery Posts: 3,170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting February started
    Made myself hang out with friends when I wasn’t in the mood and it was great
    My goal to say my truth even though it is scary to me
  • MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am going to join, if you don't mind me being a couple of days late. I'm getting pretty good at doing the calories and exercise, but should keep in mind the self-care as well. If I don't keep up my self-care then what is the point of doing the other stuff?

I'l start tonight with a nice bath before bed. Then work on building a morning self-care routine in the morning.
  • 57discovery
    57discovery Posts: 3,170 Member
    Options
    LOVE
    mynacha73 wrote: »
    I want to join, but I've been struggling to come up with a goal. I think for February I need to work towards remembering that my value is not determined by my job. So my goals are:
    - Speak to someone (voice to voice - texting doesn't count for me) about something that is not work-related each day this month
    - Practice separating work from the rest of my life by actively picturing myself closing the door on work when I get in the car at the end of the day
    - Writing down 3 positive qualities in myself each morning before I leave my house
    I'm glad to be joining all of you!

LOVE you goals
    Will try the same. Number 3
    Great time yesterday reconnecting with old friend
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Feb 4
    Learning more & practicing sketching faces at different angles.

Building more techniques for eyes ears nose mouth

Painted for 2 hours in a coffee shop.

For me, it’s all about the DO, now!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Self care: Last night, I took a hot bath and played fav music.
    Painted an ocean scene - will go online to learn how to paint trees (evergreen)
    Signed up for painting class on Wednesday’s.
    Will resign today from a committee that it too consuming and I didn’t feel I add value or they add value
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I really think, based on how poorly sells care is going so far this year haha, that one of my over arguing goals this year needs to be more self care. And not passive care in the sense that I'm forgiving myself for things but actively being mindful of taking time for myself while still being serious about my goals.

So far this month I've taken my vitamins everyday which is good. But I realized that much of my self care revolves around allowing myself to eat at maintenance or have a lazy day and telling myself I deserve it. I'm at the point where I need to start warming those days again. So maybe that's my self care for today is figuring out why I'm giving myself a pass and getting serious about my weight loss and overall health again.

I feel like I sound so serious when I post in here. I promise that I know how to have fun!!! Haha.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Self care: Last night, I took a hot bath and played fav music.
    Painted an ocean scene - will go online to learn how to paint trees (evergreen)
    Signed up for painting class on Wednesday’s.
    Will resign today from a committee that it too consuming and I didn’t feel I add value or they add value

@RubyRed427
    Bravo for taking care of yourself! And yes sometimes that means resigning or figuring out that something doesn’t serve yourself. I know it’s difficult, but congratulations!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skram01- When I feel like being lazy and skipping my exercise for the day, I remind myself how good I feel afterwards. It helps to see daily exercise as something we do as care for ourselves (mind, body and soul), rather than a punishment or penance. If it's hard to find the motivation to do the workout you planned, tell yourself that you deserve to have an easy workout and just go for a short walk or some light stretching. Almost always, I end up doing my whole workout and sometimes even more. Getting up and going is the hardest part!
  • lporter229
    Options
    @rubyred427- Good for you. It sounds like you are making some great strides in the self-care department. Congrats!
  • lporter229
    Options
    I am continuing to struggle with concentration at work. It always takes me most of the morning to wrap my head around my work for the day, and then I end up scrambling at the end of the day to get things done. Today I woke up a half hour early and had a cup of coffee at home and did my daily sudoku rather than waiting until I got to work to do this. I also tried envisioning my day and how it would play out on my drive in. Both of those things helped a little, as I have gotten more done this morning than most mornings, but I am still sitting here perusing the MFP forums rather than tacking the mountains of things on my to-do list. This is kind of new territory for me because I am not used to struggling with this type of lack of self discipline.

I am not sure where this falls in the "self care" challenge, but until I get this turned around, I will not be "right" with myself. Any suggestions on tips to improve focus concentration are greatly appreciated!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am continuing to struggle with concentration at work. It always takes me most of the morning to wrap my head around my work for the day, and then I end up scrambling at the end of the day to get things done. Today I woke up a half hour early and had a cup of coffee at home and did my daily sudoku rather than waiting until I got to work to do this. I also tried envisioning my day and how it would play out on my drive in. Both of those things helped a little, as I have gotten more done this morning than most mornings, but I am still sitting here perusing the MFP forums rather than tacking the mountains of things on my to-do list. This is kind of new territory for me because I am not used to struggling with this type of lack of self discipline.

I am not sure where this falls in the "self care" challenge, but until I get this turned around, I will not be "right" with myself. Any suggestions on tips to improve focus concentration are greatly appreciated!

@lporter229

First things to check: The Basics
    ** Are you under stress?
    Sleeping well?
    Eating nutritiously? Evenly spread throughout the day? Enough calories?
    Drinking sips of water throughout your day?

Second tier to check: Underlying Physical Cause
    When was your last physical?
    ** When were your last blood tests?
    I had trouble concentrating (and no energy), and by the time I got to doc, I was Severely Anemic & my kidneys were failing. I learned anemia comes on so slowly that most folks don’t know they have it, (I also did sudoku’s & had to rally myself to complete even simple tasks.)

Third: work/task completion
    Do you like your job?
    Try the “3 Most Important” technique:
    Sounds like you have a “mountain” of things to do...I found the “What are the 3 most important tasks?” approach helped me get through my stack. Identify the top 3, and let nothing else distract you. Next day, ask the same. Getting those big jobs off your plate makes you feel great & is energizing & after a few days, you’re in great shape again.

Note: I’m not saying you’re anemic, but it’s probably worth getting to the doc if the First List is all good.

I hope this helps.