do you actually have to drink SO MUCH water to lose weight?

Options
obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Hydration comes from virtually all liquids, even caffeinated ones, and plenty of foods. If your urine is pale yellow, you’re hydrated.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

If you're peeing a lot then your body doesn't need as much water as you're drinking. You drink fluids (doesn't necessarily have to be water, other drinks and food contain water) to stay hydrated, there is no one size fits all for water intake, just check your urine is the right colour (see below from UK NHS)
    mfu0w4ej9rb8.png

As for weight loss, it might help with hunger, as thirst can be mistaken for hunger, but no it doesn't directly have any effect on weight loss. You can see an article about this also at the NHS Website. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/ten-weight-loss-myths/

Thank you for sharing this. It’s really helpful! I’ve been “trying to lose weight” so many times, going back to the 90s. For awhile there it seemed like the advice was that more water = better, and I think a lot of people like me still sort of think of it that way. I’m going to use this chart as a reference from now on and now stress so much about how much I’m drinking (or not drinking).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »

Drinking water doesn't have anything to do with losing weight. You should consume enough fluids to stay hydrated.
  • kodaridge
    kodaridge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It does not affect your weight loss but you do get a lot of steps ;)

ETA: grammar

That was classic..
  • mrsdunc07
    mrsdunc07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have been told to drink half your body weight to help with weight loss....I tend to feel better when I good and hydrated which makes me more motivated to keep moving (that and you do get in more steps going back and forth to the bathroom and kitchen hahaha!)