Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Strength Training While Losing Weight??

Options
Do you think that it is better to strength train while trying to lose weight -OR- do you think that it is better to lose the desired amount of weight before trying to tone the body?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I've heard numerous people on here say "I wish I'd started lifting sooner."

I've never heard anyone say "I wish I'd started lifting later."

QFT
  • FaithfuLEEfit
    FaithfuLEEfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @kami3006 yes! I'm definitely looking forward to keeping some of my curves.
  • FaithfuLEEfit
    FaithfuLEEfit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @estherdragonbat that's exactly what the video's reasoning was. I'm so glad to hear that I can work on my muscles while losing weight. It makes wayyy more sense to strength train now as oppose to waiting and struggling to rebuild muscle after I lose weight.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting now! I lost all my weight and I wasn't lifting (I didn't know I should), I was just doing cardio and light weight circuit training. My results were that I lost weight but I was skinny fat. Once I started lifting I saw major changes in my composition. So I'm one of those that says "I wish I would've started lifting sooner".
  • Sapphire1812
    Sapphire1812 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Definitely start strength training as soon as you can if you're losing weight, as it most definitely will help counteract the risk of losing muscle as you lose fat.
  • FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Do you think that it is better to strength train while trying to lose weight -OR- do you think that it is better to lose the desired amount of weight before trying to tone the body?

Shhhhh... Don't tell anyone about my secret weapon to melt body fat.... Muscle.

Muscle is the friend of my metabolism and the enemy of my fat. Why not direct those calories to work, grow and keep muscle instead of shuttling those calories off to storage? Why would I want to melt away my body and lose my secret weapon muscle?

Ultimately the calorie deficit is what burns the fat but the muscle helps tilt the body fat percentage towards less fat and more muscle. The more muscle I grow the easier that process gets. I build myself up to get lean, I don't deprive and strip myself down.... at least at the age of 41 that is what I have learned from the past 26 years of doing just that.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Another vote for training while losing. The only thing I would add is that it's highly recommended to follow a vetted program. The great news is that there's lots to choose from, depending on what you enjoy and your goals. Here's a great thread just for that.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting. You will tone up while losing weight.