Infrared Sauna and Weight Loss?

Options
mithion
mithion Posts: 78 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone had any experience using an infrared sauna specifically for weight loss?

I just learned about this from the Joe Rohan Experience podcast when he interviewed TJ Dillashaw.

It sounds pretty interesting.

There are plenty of articles available with a google search, I’m just curious if anyone here has first hand experience using one.

https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/infrared-sauna-health-fitness-benefits

Replies

• ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The sauna is good for muscle recovery and heart health in men. It's a soothing ritual and can help lift depression. If it helps in weight loss that's a bonus, but I don't think weight will fall off. I used one regularly when I was a member at the leisure centre and didn't notice a weight loss effect.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have a portable infrared sauna. a long time ago when I was prepping for a competition my coach prescribed sauna twice a week and I couldn't afford it at the salon so I bought a portable thing from eBay.

Now, as for it helping with losing weight? I doubt it, except for maybe water.

It is, however, nice, and does help with muscle recovery. I don't regret my purchase and should actually use it more often. I tend to use it more in winter coz now in summer last thing I want to do is go boil in a little cubicle with my head sticking out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    TJ Dillashaw was cutting water weight to compete. He said in that podcast that he weighed in 24 pounds UNDER what he walked into the cage at. That means he gained 24 pounds once he reintroduced water.

Does this really sound like a sustainable weight loss technique???
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Things that burn a significant number of calories often raise heart rate. Not everything that raises heart rate burns a significant number of calories. If it did, people would lose weight watching scary horror movies. Up to 600 calories in half an hour sitting in a sauna? Not likely, not likely at all.

Sitting in a cedar box with radiation-like light at 145 degrees not only raises your heart rate considerably, it maintains the raised heart rate for the duration of (and a few minutes after) the treatment. No, going to an infrared sauna once a week isn’t going to effect a weight loss change. But medical studies have shown that this does effect metabolic rate and if used every day, body fat percentage would lower. See attached.

vl463gim8ms0.jpeg

You’ve gone through and found three old threads to resurrect so that you could post this same thing. I’m assuming you work for a company selling the beds or treatment