Am I not giving cardio the due importance it deserves with respect to weight training?

Options
Hey folks,

I’ve just started training after a year long hiatus (during which I’ve put on almost 10 kilos lost previously). My plan is to train 7 days a week - go all out, and it’s been good and manageable so far. I begin my session warming up, doing a few stretches and pull ups (assisted). I then do a 7 minute cardio on the elliptical set at highest incline, and then I hit the rack, working out till I feel like I’m about pass out (I’ve always done this way, the stop point is when my muscles can’t lift anymore). That’s pretty much all the cardio I get during the week. 7 minutes multiples by 6; a 40 minute cardio session on day 7 paired against abs and oblique workout.

I now have concerns if I’m going mild over the cardio.

The goal is to go down from weighing 83 now to 70 kgs, losing a huge chunk of fat (accumulated over thighs, buttocks and the sides).

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to burn out, but that's just my opinion. Why did you take the year off? Slow and steady wins the race. Working out until you feel like you're going to pass out is dangerous and unnecessary. Your "time" with respect to cardio seems to be the least of my concerns when I read this.

My advice would be to workout 5 days a week at a normal pace. Again, just my opinion.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's good to have a rest day, it allows your body to recover. In regards to weight loss, you need to just eat less calories than you burn. Cardio can help with a higher calorie burn and heart health, weights help to preserve muscle mass while losing fat. That's about it.
  • ArshadAhamed
    ArshadAhamed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I’ll surely review my strategy and come up with an efficient one.

On the side note, I’m on a break from work and have about two months of vacation left. I had to take a hiatus as I relocated to a new city and was working in a refinery then. The work was too demanding then.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think you should redefine your goals over all. 7 days all out and no recovery/rest built in is a recipe for injury, fatigue, burn out and other side effects if not done properly. I wonder how steep your deficit is on top of that?

eta: find you a progressive overload strength training program to follow (it will have proper progression and rest/recovery days built in) and sprinkle in cardio on alternate days.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1