• leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    leiflung wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    m7fehgv412lf.png

Best. Venn. Diagram. EVER.

I'm sorry but that Venn diagram implies that people losing weight by counting carbs represent a subset of people losing limbs. That's a terrible Venn diagram.
    Well, technically, if you are losing fat, your limbs should be losing fat too, just not all of the limb. B)
    Yes, an ellipse around limbs would clarify, but there's also the label "People losing weight" crossing both boundaries that is supposed to be the label for the largest circle.

No, the circle of people losing weight by counting calorie is entirely inside the circle for people losing limbs. That means that the only people losing weight by counting calories are people losing limbs.

Or is that not applied to any circle? It's just words hanging in the air?

In that case, circle around "people losing limbs" wouldn't clarify, it is the only way to make this a functional Venn diagram. But you still need that circle to overlap the carb and calorie counting because that happens. Some amputees count carbs, I'm sure of it.

As it is, as a Venn diagram, this thing is a HOT MESS.

Amputees aren't losing limbs, they're people who have lost limbs. I'm not sure how interesting the small intersection of people undergoing amputation (amputators?) in a calorie deficit is.

Though I suppose now that I brought up the losing fat from limbs, amputators are people losing body fat without a recomp or calorie deficit since their limb is bound to have fat in it. Or should amputation be looked at as a calorie deficit activity - the most extreme calorie burning activity?

Does this help?
    rdfqylmtnog6.png

Okay, if you get to be pedantic about not calling a person an amputee until the limb is gone, then fine. I take that back. But I get to be pedantic, too.

It doesn't matter how interesting it is. This isn't statistics and probability. It's set theory. Your interest in the overlap doesn't matter, all that matters is if it exists. There are people currently on a low calorie diet while in the process of having a limb amputated or losing one due to gangrene/frostbite or some manner of necrotizing fasciitis etc.

In fact, if you are losing a limb from frostbite or gangrene or necrotizing fasciitis, you probably aren't eating very well at all due to the usual circumstances of these events so I would imagine a substantial fraction of the losing limbs circle would be inside the people in a calorie deficit circle.
  • lildickybarrett
    lildickybarrett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When you want to know the truth, go to a good source, here is what Layne Norton phD in Nutritional Science and imo weight loss expert had to say about it https://youtu.be/9ZYQ6_35TLw

It is down to calories in and calories out, still works, not super healthy if you consume a lot of saturated fat, but if you can stick to that better than a regular diet, do what works for you.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    m7fehgv412lf.png

Best. Venn. Diagram. EVER.

I'm sorry but that Venn diagram implies that people losing weight by counting carbs represent a subset of people losing limbs. That's a terrible Venn diagram.
    Well, technically, if you are losing fat, your limbs should be losing fat too, just not all of the limb. B)
    Yes, an ellipse around limbs would clarify, but there's also the label "People losing weight" crossing both boundaries that is supposed to be the label for the largest circle.

No, the circle of people losing weight by counting calorie is entirely inside the circle for people losing limbs. That means that the only people losing weight by counting calories are people losing limbs.

Or is that not applied to any circle? It's just words hanging in the air?

In that case, circle around "people losing limbs" wouldn't clarify, it is the only way to make this a functional Venn diagram. But you still need that circle to overlap the carb and calorie counting because that happens. Some amputees count carbs, I'm sure of it.

As it is, as a Venn diagram, this thing is a HOT MESS.

Amputees aren't losing limbs, they're people who have lost limbs. I'm not sure how interesting the small intersection of people undergoing amputation (amputators?) in a calorie deficit is.

Though I suppose now that I brought up the losing fat from limbs, amputators are people losing body fat without a recomp or calorie deficit since their limb is bound to have fat in it. Or should amputation be looked at as a calorie deficit activity - the most extreme calorie burning activity?

Does this help?
    rdfqylmtnog6.png

Okay, if you get to be pedantic about not calling a person an amputee until the limb is gone, then fine. I take that back. But I get to be pedantic, too.

It doesn't matter how interesting it is. This isn't statistics and probability. It's set theory. Your interest in the overlap doesn't matter, all that matters is if it exists. There are people currently on a low calorie diet while in the process of having a limb amputated or losing one due to gangrene/frostbite or some manner of necrotizing fasciitis etc.

In fact, if you are losing a limb from frostbite or gangrene or necrotizing fasciitis, you probably aren't eating very well at all due to the usual circumstances of these events so I would imagine a substantial fraction of the losing limbs circle would be inside the people in a calorie deficit circle.

Sure and the gangrene group might have an odd overlap with carb counting for diabetic reasons, but I don't think I have the pixels for that proportionality of the tendril snaking across that.

I also left off the giant eagles from the diagram since I'm waiting for them to swoop in and fix it.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Something that will help you with this is to look up the biggest loser study. Doing keto its so hard for me to take in too much calories because i am satiated. I do try to stick to mfp goal though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nbrady001 wrote: »
    Keto is unnatural. Don't chase the newest fad diet thinking it is a shortcut. There are long term consequences to keto and it doesn't teach you how to eat in the long run for maintenance. Keto is for today 1200 calories is for life.

That's depressing. And false.

P.S. Not doing keto either, but I'm closing today on 1605 calories, and within 10lbs of goal weight.

No kidding. Very sad.

I'm about 4 years into mostly keto and eating around 2000 kcal a day. And still losing a bit each month.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside Venn diagrams and pedantics of where diabetic eagles fit into the picture.........

OP, I have never heard anyone say keto and counting calories are one and the same.

Counting calories is a tool to create a calorie deficit.

Keto is a way of eating - sure, a way that tends to be lower calorie than more carb containing diets and thus may create a deficit for some people without counting - but nevertheless a way of eating, not a tool for weight loss in itself.

The success of any method depends on creating a calorie deficit but the success does not depend on how many lb's one loses per month.

I ate far from keto or even low carb - and I lost at a rate of an average of 1/2 lb per week.

Does this make my diet a failure???

I would think not, since I only had 10 kg (around 22lb) to lose so losing it all in one month would of been a terrible plan.
    (as it was, I lost it in 10 months - about a kg per month)

The best weight loss option is one that is sustainable for you and in which you create a calorie deficit to lose at the approriate rate for you.

That can be keto with/without calorie counting for some people - but I am not one of them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    correction - leaving aside pedantry, not pedantics. ;)

Before we have any pedants disecting my grammar. :o:o:DB):p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Keto and calorie counting are not one in the same. They are very, very different concepts that may or may not get you to the same place.