Any suggestions for something to soothe a stomach?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Gravol makes a ginger formula that works really well.

Hope you feel better soonest!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Gravol makes a ginger formula that works really well.

Hope you feel better soonest!

Thanks my friend - I don't believe that's available in the US, but there must be equivalents.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    If we have it here in Canada, odds are you've got it there. Ask the pharmacist, perhaps?

Are you able to keep liquids down? As I'm sure you know, hydration is paramount. :)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    This won't help if it's vomiting, but if you are having diarrhea, immodium is great for that.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If we have it here in Canada, odds are you've got it there. Ask the pharmacist, perhaps?

Are you able to keep liquids down? As I'm sure you know, hydration is paramount. :)

Nope not available in the states
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    PS: Found it on Amazon.com, so it looks like you can get it there.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Chewable-Lozenges-Antinauseant-VOMITING/dp/B009ZBO7QI
  • snickerscharlie
    edited February 2019
    Options

Too bad! I guess it can be shipped to the States from Canada through Amazon, though. It's really good. Won't get there in time to help the OP, though. :(
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Water and some coffee yes (Thank God on the latter lol)
    MikePTY wrote: »
    This won't help if it's vomiting, but if you are having diarrhea, immodium is great for that.
    It was both - now just upset thankfully. Call me odd, but I'd rather hit a thumb with a hammer than be nauseous.

Thanks for looking :)

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Chewable-Lozenges-Antinauseant-VOMITING/dp/B009ZBO7QI

AHH I hope it doesn't last that long! :D
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Water and some coffee yes (Thank God on the latter lol)
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It was both - now just upset thankfully. Call me odd, but I'd rather hit a thumb with a hammer than be nauseous.

Thanks for looking :)

AHH I hope it doesn't last that long! :D

If it does, you'd likely need a doctor, anyway. ;)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Gotta say - you folks are awesome with the replies and help :)
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Dry toast and lemonade settled my stomach re vomiting but I just had to let the other end take its course, so to speak. I had my darling Granddaughter [aged 6] to thank for passing the tummy bug on to me but on the up side it made me think, yes I'll start doing something about this weight NOW.

Hope you get better soon :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I typically go with ginger, like others have suggested. My most frequent cold (which wasn't stomach related) involved making a lot of Korean style ginger tea, not unlike this recipe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I typically go with ginger, like others have suggested. My most frequent cold (which wasn't stomach related) involved making a lot of Korean style ginger tea, not unlike this recipe.

@aokoye - mind blown - never knew about making ginger mixture ahead for tea! How long does it keep in the frig, esp the variation where it is pureed and sweetener added?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Ginger tea?

That sounds good for some reason...need to find some...

Yogi Tea makes ginger tea, but you can also see aokoye's recipe and make it yourself.

Bigger supermarkets carry it where I live, as does Amazon.

71KBtMnEeJL._SY606_.jpg

This is for two boxes: https://smile.amazon.com/Yogi-Ginger-Herbal-Supplement-Bags/dp/B01EGDFOI4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Yogi+Tea+ginger+tea&qid=1549672905&sr=8-6&th=1

My supermarket ran out of the just ginger and I subbed Lemon Ginger, which was essentially the same.

• Phirrgus
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    Dry toast and lemonade settled my stomach re vomiting but I just had to let the other end take its course, so to speak. I had my darling Granddaughter [aged 6] to thank for passing the tummy bug on to me but on the up side it made me think, yes I'll start doing something about this weight NOW.

Hope you get better soon :)

I'm pretty sure it was my 8 month old grandson lol. :)
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@aokoye - mind blown - never knew about making ginger mixture ahead for tea! How long does it keep in the frig, esp the variation where it is pureed and sweetener added?

I'll be looking at that too. Thanks @aokoye !
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Ginger tea?

That sounds good for some reason...need to find some...

Yogi Tea makes ginger tea, but you can also see aokoye's recipe and make it yourself.

Bigger supermarkets carry it where I live, as does Amazon.

71KBtMnEeJL._SY606_.jpg

This is for two boxes: https://smile.amazon.com/Yogi-Ginger-Herbal-Supplement-Bags/dp/B01EGDFOI4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Yogi+Tea+ginger+tea&qid=1549672905&sr=8-6&th=1

My supermarket ran out of the just ginger and I subbed Lemon Ginger, which was essentially the same.
    I bought a box of this earlier - not bad at all! Hoping to see/feel results by the morning.
    aiin56bevg6q.jpg
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yogi also makes a "Stomach Ease" tea (https://yogiproducts.com/teas/herbal-teas/stomach-ease/) which I discovered when coming off prescription acid-reducing drugs (rebound effect .... not fun). I'm on a different acid reducing med but find this particular brew quiet soothing. Some good soothing effect with chamomile tea as well (which has anti-inflammatory properties).
  • aokoye
    Options

I have no idea honestly, I'd suspect at least a week. I just so happened to go out to Korean BBQ a week before I got really sick and tried it there before looking up the recipe.

What I've been doing is grating ginger (with the same type of grater she uses in the video - it was probably under $5 at one of the Japanese grocery stores I live near, I bought it years ago), simmering it for about 20 min in a quart or so of water, and then straining it into a container. It will keep for over a week in the fridge. When I want tea I 1:1 ginger water to regular water and then some honey and it tastes nearly the same as what I had in the restaurant.

The other option that I'll do is just grating ginger into a tea cup, adding honey, and pouring over hot water. It's really, really good (and tastes identical to what I had at the restaurant).

Note, if you cook with grated ginger with any sort of frequency I highly suggest buying one of the graters that is shown in the video. It's totally worth it. They make very quick work of ginger and, unlike a metal grater, you don't risk grating your fingers (I'm looking at you microplane...). They're also easier to clean.
  • aokoye
    Options
    I've never had Yogi Tea's ginger tea, but having had other ginger teas from tea bags, the fresh ginger tea tastes a lot better than what you can get from a tea bag or loose dry ginger ;) Well I guess it's not so much better so much as it's different. A lot fresher, which makes sense.

It's arguably not nearly convenient as teabags though (I'm not going to keep a jar of ginger and honey on my desk at the office...). It also packs a bigger punch which could be a pro or a con depending on who you are.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Well, whether the ginger tea or just passing things are a lot better this morning, about time lol.
    I've done a little reading on ginger since you folks suggested it and I'm going to follow your lead with the fresh ginger aokoye. Stomach issues aside I also creak in a few places I shouldn't and if ginger really can help a little with anti-inflammatory properties...well..I'll take it :)

Maxitt - I used to drink Chamomile tea quite a bit many years ago - maybe time to revisit that too, thanks.

I really appreciate the tips folks. Time to get back on track :)
  • mags19723
    mags19723 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One time I was flying back from Europe and my stomach was very upset. I asked the stewardess for Ginger Ale but they had none. Then she told me to try a little apple juice mixed with a little Sprite. She made some up for me and it worked! Maybe give it a try..