Doing everything right but not losing

Options
Hi there I've been doing this for about 3 weeks and am seeing no loss on the scale. I have been weighing my food on a scale and using a heart rate monitor for exercise calories. I usually eat them back or sometimes save them for a cheat meal. Your thoughts and insights would be great. I exercise 6x a week and log all my food. Thx again.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Be more patient
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise new to you? New exercise causes the muscles to retain water to repair themselves. This water often masks any fat loss you've got going on.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • atasteofgrace
    atasteofgrace Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Be more patient
    So it's normal to not lose any weight in the first 3 weeks?

• atasteofgrace
    Options
    Is the exercise new to you? New exercise causes the muscles to retain water to repair themselves. This water often masks any fat loss you've got going on.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
    I had seen that online which is why I wanted to check with everyone here to get opinions. I had taken two months off of exercising completely and about 4 since doing this frequency. Do you think 3 weeks is normal for no weight loss and at some point it will just drop off? Seems crazy but plausible.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I had seen that online which is why I wanted to check with everyone here to get opinions. I had taken two months off of exercising completely and about 4 since doing this frequency. Do you think 3 weeks is normal for no weight loss and at some point it will just drop off? Seems crazy but plausible.

If you are certain you are creating a calorie deficit, yes.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

which may require weighing your food on a food scale, not just cups and weights listed on packaging.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

From my own personal experience of losing the 20lbs I set out to drop, I started seeing results in my clothes first before it ever registered on the scale. I think it was roughly 4-5 weeks of trusting the process before I first saw the scale move, but it did and it will for you as well. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. :smile:
  • atasteofgrace
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

which may require weighing your food on a food scale, not just cups and weights listed on packaging.
    Yes I have an actual food scale that is what I meant when I said weighing, the other would be measuring.
  • atasteofgrace
    Options

From my own personal experience of losing the 20lbs I set out to drop, I started seeing results in my clothes first before it ever registered on the scale. I think it was roughly 4-5 weeks of trusting the process before I first saw the scale move, but it did and it will for you as well. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. :smile:
    So you were eating at a deficit and exercising? Did the scale drop a lot then to make up for lost time?
  • atasteofgrace
    Options

Yes I'm certain I am weighing everything and using the heart rate monitor to calculate my burns. Speaking of which I'm going to do the Santa Monica Stairs now. So I hope it is all right and I lose soon! Thanks so much:)
  • atasteofgrace
    Options

Yes I'm certain I am weighing everything and using the heart rate monitor to calculate my burns. Speaking of which I'm going to do the Santa Monica Stairs now. So I hope it is all right and I lose soon! Thanks so much:)

Just a thought - are you eating back all of your exercise calories?

You may try cutting it back to 50% if you don't see any loss soon.
    Okay I tried one week eating them back one week not but even if I eat them back I should still lose 1 lb a week.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

So you were eating at a deficit and exercising? Did the scale drop a lot then to make up for lost time?

I did eat at deficit and exercise; however my exercise started out 3 days a week and ramped up to 5 eventually a couple months later. I averaged a loss of 3 pounds a month, which ended up being roughly .7lbs per week. My food deficit and exercise were split so I wouldn't have to drop my calorie intake too low and still fuel myself for my running (exercise of choice)

The scale didn't drop a lot in the beginning honestly for me, but I lost consistently over 6-7 months in order to achieve my goal. It worked out really well for me, but everyone will see results differently.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    How much do you have to lose overall?
  • atasteofgrace
    Options
    How much do you have to lose overall?
    40-50 lbs.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Im not a weight loss expert, but I think that if you have not loss anything after 3 weeks then you need to adjust what you are eating.
  • peeweecorrea
    peeweecorrea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I feel like I’m not losing fast enough. So I just started using this app again to get an idea of my calorie intake so I know whether or not I’m in a deficit.