10 Unbelievable Diet Rules Backed by Science

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Mostly sound advice. I can't afford organic (or fresh food in general), so that rule doesn't apply to many folks, but overall - I dig.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'd disagree with #4. A traditional Japanese diet includes carbs, but it's not a "high carb" diet by any means. It's healthy b/c it includes lots of fish, lean meat, and vegetables. In fact it's probably higher in protein and lower in carbs than the current average American diet.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Pleasantly surpised by this list - was expecting the usual nonsense.

Not sure about vitamin D for weight loss and wonder who thinks organic food will help them lose weight, but otherwise a fairly sound list of points.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Not a bad list at all, nice one. :)
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Pleasantly surpised by this list - was expecting the usual nonsense.

Not sure about vitamin D for weight loss and wonder who thinks organic food will help them lose weight, but otherwise a fairly sound list of points.

Agreed. Clicked on this expecting total bull****. It turned out to be a voice of reason in a forum that seems to lack any reality.

There is a lot "science" out there that Men's Health, Shape Magazine and every fitness website on the planet feed to countless nimwits willing to believe everything they read without doing the research.

Fact of the matter is, what science may lead you to believe based on lab studies does not translate to real world body composition changes. A good example of this is the "30 minute anabolic window" that many body builders live and die by. Yes, amino acid uptake is elevated during the first two hours after hypertrophy and glycogen stores are easier refilled. BUT when this "science" was tested in the real world by real people doing real work outs, there was no difference between the person who had their protein right after a work out and the pacebo group who did the same work and had their protein in the morning and before bed.
  • DiamondL88
    Options
    check out smack fat its a amazing community that strives on helping & suggesting solutions to losing weight & your questions just follow this link for more details http://goo.gl/IerPQr

For videos & more info take a look at smack fat fan page on Facebook & Twitter http://www.facebook.com/LoseWeightBeHappy88
    http://twitter.com/SmackFat
  • 007AS
    007AS Posts: 12
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone think that organic means weight loss friendly? Do people not know what that word means?

There actually are a number of people who don't know what it means. Many think organic means homegrown. They think everything at a farmer's market or grown at home is organic. Also, quite a few think it means grown without pesticides.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,353 Member
    Options
    I am still a firm believer that skipping breakfast can leave you starved by lunch or dinner. It would seem better to burn off that what you eat early and allow it to fuel your body throughout the day. Any meal can be bad if your eating the wrong things. But smaller meals throughout the day or going bigger to smaller at night allows your system to work on healing itself while you are fasting during your sleep time. It is not science but common sense.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am still a firm believer that skipping breakfast can leave you starved by lunch or dinner. It would seem better to burn off that what you eat early and allow it to fuel your body throughout the day.

I agree is can leave some hungrier. But it's not true for everyone. Some people feel hungrier when they eat earilier, and some simply eat more calories than if they waited until later to start eating. Science also backs that up.

Which way is "better" depends on which way keeps your calories in control.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Bump for great justice. First bit of sense I've seen on the forum all week.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Finally, an article that makes sense!

I've never been a breakfast eater and it hasn't affected me weight one way or the other; WHAT I eat for my other meals and the level of activity has.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not a bad list at all, nice one. :)

My only issue would be that if you're going to claim something is "Backed by Science", it might make sense to, you know...cite some science.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree. Luckily all of those topics have studies posted on issn and jissn, etc. But I agree, it's always good to use citation.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great Tips!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    In for this thread!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love this post! I cannot eat breakfast (I leave for work at 7 and it's just too early for me to eat before then, I'm just not awake enough :) ), I never eat before going to the gym, I almost always eat dinner after 7 in the evening , I think that organic food is an expensive fad but I love good quality fresh produce and I've never been tempted by diet pills. I can do all of this guilt-free now because I have the backing of science. Thank you!!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There needs to be a LIKE button for this thread! Everything is absolutely true. My doctor subscribes to the breakfast idea, and I tried it for a time. It makes me hungry for the rest of the day, and I end up going over my calorie intake. I can go all day without food and just eat at night and I'm fine. Personally, that has worked FAR better than anything else I've tried.

I don't limit my carbs, fats, or anything else. I try to stick to staple foods and healthy oils. Boxed foods (or "processed") tend to have a lot of salt, and that's the one thing health-wise nearly everyone SHOULD be watching!

I expected to click on this thread and laugh at all the bad advice. I'm pleasantly surprised to find REAL, factual infomation for a change. Thanks, OP!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This article was a nice surprise when I read it this morning. I agree with most of it...