Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Outstanding
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Bump for great justice. First bit of sense I've seen on the forum all week.

QFT!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nice read! Thanks for the info.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't limit my carbs, fats, or anything else. I try to stick to staple foods and healthy oils. Boxed foods (or "processed") tend to have a lot of salt, and that's the one thing health-wise nearly everyone SHOULD be watching!

Actually, health-wise, sodium intake is one of the few things that very few people should be watching, except to make sure they're getting enough of it. If you were referring to watching it from the low-end, I apologize and retract my disagreement.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A lot of these "rules" are dependent on your medical condition. I can't skip breakfast...I feel nauseated if I do. Same with not eating before I exercise. Plus I can't take my meds on an empty stomach. And I can't fast....for the same reasons. And being diabetic, I have to keep my carb intake low. I do agree with the protein and organic statements.

But for all the normal people out there, they are probably all ok rules.

As part of the 'invisible growing minority'...I can sympathize and completely agree :huh:
    Here's to uncharted waters :drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I am still a firm believer that skipping breakfast can leave you starved by lunch or dinner. It would seem better to burn off that what you eat early and allow it to fuel your body throughout the day. Any meal can be bad if your eating the wrong things. But smaller meals throughout the day or going bigger to smaller at night allows your system to work on healing itself while you are fasting during your sleep time. It is not science but common sense.
    Belief is subjective. Actual scientific proof isn't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    first list that's not full of nonsense :drinker:
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone think that organic means weight loss friendly? Do people not know what that word means?

There actually are a number of people who don't know what it means. Many think organic means homegrown. They think everything at a farmer's market or grown at home is organic. Also, quite a few think it means grown without pesticides.

Was at Sprouts farmer's market, and asked about the nutritional content of the rolled oats. wanted to make sure it was uncooked weight on the packaging because it was so different than the organic rolled oats (regular was actually lower calorie than the organic in the end). But, when I asked the guy who worked there he said - "I think that is cooked weight because this one is organic and so it has to be healthier and lower calorie" And this guy worked there.......
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So... this article provides no backing by science for any of its points.
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    Options
    Bump
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options

1. Skip breakfast if you want.
    The one diet rule we've heard more than any other: A healthy diet begins with a great breakfast. There's just one problem: A good breakfast doesn't guarantee an overall healthy diet. In fact, according to a survey conducted by the NPD group, nearly 90 percent of Americans now eat breakfast, and yet nearly 50 percent of Americans are either overweight or obese. There are two things you should know about breakfast:

This doesn't state what the Americans then went on to eat, if they were trying to loose weight, this means nothing and of course a good breakfast doesn't guarantee an overall healthy diet, it depends on what you eat the rest of the day, this doesn't mean you shouldn't have a breakfast.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    I love the sources yahoo posted in their article. So informative and insightful.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This article just reinforces what I pretty much believe over every new "fad" or new "secret" or tidbit of science on weight loss: Moderation is the key.
  • archers33
    archers33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks!
  • springbreakmission
    springbreakmission Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I agree that the article is a little, "meh," because anyone can say, "hey it's science!" But, it came from Shape magazine and Yahoo.com. A good start though for further research if you do want to argue and at least they do quote some studies. However, one study doesn't REALLY prove anything. Sometimes getting multiple studies on one topic can be hard since someone has to fund them. There are a few variables when it comes to health and nutrition.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Really good post, thanks for sharing :)
  • iTrainHARD
    Options

1. Skip breakfast if you want.
    The one diet rule we've heard more than any other: A healthy diet begins with a great breakfast. There's just one problem: A good breakfast doesn't guarantee an overall healthy diet. In fact, according to a survey conducted by the NPD group, nearly 90 percent of Americans now eat breakfast, and yet nearly 50 percent of Americans are either overweight or obese. There are two things you should know about breakfast:

This doesn't state what the Americans then went on to eat, if they were trying to loose weight, this means nothing and of course a good breakfast doesn't guarantee an overall healthy diet, it depends on what you eat the rest of the day, this doesn't mean you shouldn't have a breakfast.

Yes it does because other points reflect that it doesn't matter how many meals you eat in a day- it's calories in calories out. So yeah, you can skip breakfast.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Kinda fascinating how this article, which includes no supporting evidence or citations, is given a complete pass on its total broscience approach because it agrees with MFP forums conventional wisdom.