For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Do you do something special to your garlic when you pack it in the oil?

I’ve wanted to do this so often when I manage to find big fat bulbs (rare - my local supermarkets only seem to sell tiny little bulbs). However, I’ve read/heard so often about the dangers of botulism inherent with garlic preserved in oil that I’ve always been too wary to do it.

Or do you just use it up fast enough that it’s not an issue? If so, realistically, how fast is fast enough?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    @purplefizzy - that's a LOT of pomegranate! How long can it keep?So many look split, so I guess you have to go ahead and process them. Lucky you. A pomegranate ranch?!?!? Lucky YOU!

Be very careful with the garlic. I'm sure you're aware that you're setting up some ideal growing conditions for Clostridium. That stuff will kill you. NOT lucky you if that happens.

I love winter, but I have cold feet most of the time. My sauna is at the gym, but sitting there is one of the few times for several months I can have warm feet. Mmmmm. Our winter is bone chilling even without it being THAT cold because it's wet and rainy most of the time and just above freezing. That kind of cold cuts deeper than when it gets below freezing for a few days (several days), and the air dries out. I lived in northern Utah for a few years, and it got really COLD there, but was easier to deal with. But all that rain brings lots of wild mushrooms, so it's not all bad. And it does snow in the mountains, and between rain and snow, our rivers are great.

Roasted roots were delicious as expected, and I managed to save half for today. I have observed I pretty much always see my scale jump up a couple pounds when I eat roasted roots. I think they're just dense. Today it might also be that taco I ordered last night; it was SO salty.

I went up to Squirrel's last afternoon to remember friends and family who have crossed the rainbow bridge. For me this year -- Chester - always cherished; Bill - larger than life; Ken - even larger; Laverne - unlike any other. Plus Julyian who everyone misses. I hope you had time to honor those who have died.

lgnsiy5wsxwg.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I missed this thread! With wind driven fire risk all around we had our power cut as a precaution. Day and a half at the start of the week and then a little over three straight days. Aside from conserving my phone battery as much as possible for looking at news and not being able to check in here, after the second outage we had to get rid of SO MUCH FOOD. It was so depressing. I'm nervous to stock up again until I'm sure the Santa Anas are done and am living off a couple Trader Joe's packaged salads and some bagels and yoghurt and stuff for a few days. I did make a nice lentil soup which is what I came here to ask about and then got to ranting - assuming I want to stay veggie, how do you liven up your veggie broth based soups? This soup is booooring. I had to toss pretty much all of my fridge condiments but I will sparingly buy a few essentials this week. How do you get the umami in there from packaged veggie broth? Tomato paste and soy sauce are on my list, but I wouldn't want to add those to lentil soup.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I’m a fan of lemon rind and juice in lentil based soups to add freshness and brightness. I know you’ve said umami but give the lemon a go unless you’re not a fan of lemon at all. I throw in a large handful of either parsley or coriander (cilantro) at the end too. I guess it depends what you use in your particular lentil soup though. Orange may work too, especially if your soup has carrots.

Or harissa if you like spicy! Sprinkle with a bit of sumac, za’atar or dukkah and a swirl of yoghurt!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have lemons - I have trees so no shortage. Good call, I'll give that a go today. I do super simple - this time got the pre cut pot of mire poix from TJ's so I didn't have leftovers, garlic, potatoes, red lentils, stock, S&P. I would have ordinarily used more carrot than that so perhaps I am also missing some sweetness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,082 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I missed this thread! With wind driven fire risk all around we had our power cut as a precaution. Day and a half at the start of the week and then a little over three straight days. Aside from conserving my phone battery as much as possible for looking at news and not being able to check in here, after the second outage we had to get rid of SO MUCH FOOD. It was so depressing. I'm nervous to stock up again until I'm sure the Santa Anas are done and am living off a couple Trader Joe's packaged salads and some bagels and yoghurt and stuff for a few days. I did make a nice lentil soup which is what I came here to ask about and then got to ranting - assuming I want to stay veggie, how do you liven up your veggie broth based soups? This soup is booooring. I had to toss pretty much all of my fridge condiments but I will sparingly buy a few essentials this week. How do you get the umami in there from packaged veggie broth? Tomato paste and soy sauce are on my list, but I wouldn't want to add those to lentil soup.

Depends on what else is in the soup, but some thoughts off the top of my head would be miso (especially dark ones), gochujang chili paste, mushrooms (or mushroom powder), unsweetened cocoa powder (better IMO in tomato-based vs. broth-based soups), kombu, browned onions (I have a gas stove & camp stove, you may not), nutritional yeast. Even some herbs (sage springs to mind, or a truly tiny amount of asafoetida if you're really brave) can add some richness and interest.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    ayog4bgrwt0i.jpeg

Big bowl o Pom from dad’s ranch I need to clean. I’m gonna get straight slutty with the Pom this week. Had just lush amounts last week, cascades of Pom everywhere.
    meagqa9yk4xv.jpeg

@purplefizzy did someone say Poms?! On my way!

@BarbaraHelen2013 re: harissa - in the last few years I’ve become a harissa devotee. I can’t believe I didn’t have this in my life growing up! I first had it in North Africa and I had it for breakfast lunch and dinner!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @Safari_Gal_

Same for me! Although I’m old enough that I’d not have expected to have it growing up - curry powder was ‘exotic’ when I was young!

But I’ve only discovered the joys of harissa in the last few years. The first I had was when I made a batch of my own because I needed it for a recipe and didn’t think I’d ever seen it in the shops. Of course, after that I saw it everywhere and now can’t live without it! Still make my own from time to time.

In fact I just finished dinner which was harissa roasted purple carrots, feta, bulgur wheat and a yoghurt, honey and harissa drizzle. Delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    @purplefizzy do you make pomegranate molasses when you have a glut?

Following large late lunch, dinner was just a salad of canary melon with feta, mint dressed with pomegranate molasses.

x80ffo3jrb3e.jpeg
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Do you do something special to your garlic when you pack it in the oil?

I’ve wanted to do this so often when I manage to find big fat bulbs (rare - my local supermarkets only seem to sell tiny little bulbs). However, I’ve read/heard so often about the dangers of botulism inherent with garlic preserved in oil that I’ve always been too wary to do it.

Or do you just use it up fast enough that it’s not an issue? If so, realistically, how fast is fast enough?

Honestly, I’ve heard so much caution in this thread about it that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

I batch cook a lot in winter, so only make it then. Fridge if I’m doing some batch cooks.

Otherwise, I keep it in the freezer, and just sorta hack at it when I need some. The oil seems to help it not freeze.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    @purplefizzy do you make pomegranate molasses when you have a glut?

Following large late lunch, dinner was just a salad of canary melon with feta, mint dressed with pomegranate molasses.

x80ffo3jrb3e.jpeg

I do not. I ❤️ the one at Ranch99.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Chips done.

6ozxxr869oyu.jpg

Don’t leave us hanging.

Apple cinnamon?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    "Food prep Friday" is nicely alliterative, but it's a coincidence. Also, this is food prep, mostly-orange edition, I guess.

Roasted a pie pumpkin (thinking soup), a couple of sweet potatoes, some spaghetti squash, and some extra-crispy cabbage (the way I like it). Further down the post, a basin full of fresh sage getting rinsed, just bringing it in before it freezes hard enough here to kill the top (not sure when that'll be, but soon).
    7exvv7iuhfg6.jpg
    vau4mcbemaf1.jpg
    Split peas, maybe tomorrow . . . because split-pea Saturday, I guess. :lol:
  • acpgee
    Options
    Artichoke, asparagus, hollandaise. A couple of drumettes.
    ktcs6zz5a4px.jpeg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Artichoke, asparagus, hollandaise. A couple of drumettes.
    ktcs6zz5a4px.jpeg

Looks amazing, two of my top vegetables. Asparagus has been depressing in the stores lately but I have two artichokes from my produce box.
  • acpgee
    Options
    A favourite way to use boring old carrots. Grate and treat like shredded papaya in som tam recipes if you like SE asian salads.
    ubjob6uvqjgc.jpeg

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome food photos all!

Whoever said food prep Friday - 💥 yes!

I have a little bit of a dragonfruit fetish. I decided to adopt a few and bring home today. 😉

fz5luuc23hf5.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Wow awesome food photos all!

<snip for length >

I have a little bit of a dragonfruit fetish. I decided to adopt a few and bring home today. 😉

I've tried them, and wish I liked them more**, because they're so pretty.

** They're good, to my taste, but not enough so to justify the price here in the frozen North. :(