Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Wow awesome food photos all!

<snip for length >

I have a little bit of a dragonfruit fetish. I decided to adopt a few and bring home today. 😉

I've tried them, and wish I liked them more**, because they're so pretty.

** They're good, to my taste, but not enough so to justify the price here in the frozen North. :(

I've had them when traveling, but agree they are never good locally (I am also in the North, though not quite as far as you).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    Artichoke, asparagus, hollandaise. A couple of drumettes.
    ktcs6zz5a4px.jpeg

Looks amazing, two of my top vegetables. Asparagus has been depressing in the stores lately but I have two artichokes from my produce box.

I've given up on trying to find good asparagus this time of year. For me they are a spring and early summer veg. I should eat more artichoke since I tend to only eat it at restaurants.

My farm box was all greens plus turnips (with the greens), daikon radishes, potatoes, and kohlrabi this week, so I supplemented with mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, and green beans (I have some brussels too). I did use my this week farm box kale (some of it, there's a lot more) and leeks from last week for my omelet this morning, and then had some other leftover veg on the side.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I concur that dragon fruit looks so gorgeous but is disappointing tastewise.

We normally only get it at hotel breakfast buffets when we are on vacation in SE Asia and I usually have some once, but then veer off to the tastier (if less attractive) fruits available there like mangosteen, rambutan and mangos.

I wouldn't normally buy asparagus at this time of year due to prohibitive cost but I was waiting to meet a girlfriend in front a tube station where there was a vegetable stall at the entrance. The guy was selling bunches of asparagus for £1 at this time of year! The ends were dry so I had to break off quite a lot of stalk, which when into bone bag for collecting bones and vegetable trimmings in the freezer for making stock.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I concur that dragon fruit looks so gorgeous but is disappointing tastewise.

We normally only get it at hotel breakfast buffets when we are on vacation in SE Asia and I usually have some once, but then veer off to the tastier (if less attractive) fruits available there like mangosteen, rambutan and mangos.

I wouldn't normally buy asparagus at this time of year due to prohibitive cost but I was waiting to meet a girlfriend in front a tube station where there was a vegetable stall at the entrance. The guy was selling bunches of asparagus for £1 at this time of year! The ends were dry so I had to break off quite a lot of stalk, which when into bone bag for collecting bones and vegetable trimmings in the freezer for making stock.

Same with star fruit... Not a fan!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    There is so much delicious happening in here.
    I’m in awe.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My first attempt at roasting beets. Added to a veggie power bowl with sweet potato , cauliflower, broccoli and kale with lemon tahini dressing. I have a lot to learn but will eat well in the process. ipgz8wts3xoh.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    First time ever trying eddoes. I honestly had no idea what to expect. Read some recipes, but ended up just boiling them and then mashing into pure to have with my pork chops. Excellent, but completely different texture than a potato. I think I also over cooked them. Next time I will try and plant this out a bit more :)

eddoes.jpg

😯 oooh! 😉 Love checking out new produce!! Haven’t had them — but a friend makes them all the time. Apparently they are high in minerals like zinc and magnesium. They are called “silent doctors!” Cool.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    First time ever trying eddoes. I honestly had no idea what to expect. Read some recipes, but ended up just boiling them and then mashing into pure to have with my pork chops. Excellent, but completely different texture than a potato. I think I also over cooked them. Next time I will try and plant this out a bit more :)

eddoes.jpg

I can honestly say that I have learned about produce that I never knew even existed! Maybe that will be a goal....try something brand new every week, assuming I can find it around here. I guess this week it was beets. Never cooked them but really enjoyed them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    <snip image for length>

I've been looking at these, malanga, and some of the other related root vegetables at my produce market, but haven't quite convinced myself to buy them. My assumption is that they fit in the "starchy side or ingredient" kind of niche, which isn't really my jam, with the exception of sweet potatoes (and probably some others I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, but different flavor profile). Not big on potatoes (except fried, as a vehicle for absurd amounts of catsup - it's a character fault ;) ), rice, most other fairly neutral-tasting starches, etc. - not a nutritional religion thing, just taste preference within calorie budget.

Are there flavor rewards from the eddoe that I'm overlooking? Wondering if I'm missing out because of my poorly-founded "potato-y" assumptions. ;)

Thanks!
  • auroraboriaustralis
    Options
    I love vegetables but my little sister is picky so I have started to try disguising some of her less favorable foods.

Smoothies: a good serving of leafy greens can be moderately forgotten if blended with sweet fruits. I typically pair with yellow flesh fruits (frozen is cheaper and less work) like mango, pineapple, orange (juice ).
    Beats pair well with mixed berries and cherry (or cranberry) juice

Ground meat recipes: [taco meat, meat sauce, meatballs, whatever you like] My sister has a (mental) issue with carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. But I tried mincing these vegetables before browning the meat and not only does she not notice but it also adds a sweetness to the meal I never expected to love so much.

Mushrooms (not sure if people count as veggie) can also be minced and hidden within ground meat or rice/grains.

Bread/cake. A moderate serving of carrot (or sweet potato, pumpkin, zucchini) bread can be a more nutritious dessert option for getting some of those veggies in. (Zucchini isnt my favorite so in the summer when zucchini is grown locally this is how I use the squash)

Cauliflower mash is a good one too but I recommend roasting rather than steaming so it doesn’t come out watery. And some cream or butter and garlic make this a great substitute for mashed potatoes.

I personally enjoy butternut squash noodles, with butter or olive oil, to replace pasta (or to top it)

Just tried a golden Hubbard pumpkin recently. It was so sweet and delicious. I made a creamy pumpkin soup from the roasted flesh and a pumpkin bread with the de-seeded guts. The bread ended up being a bit to sweet for my taste, as I just used a recipe for sugar pumpkin and not Hubbard, so next time I will reduce the added sugar.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Today on the menu will be purple yam.
    Since today I have miso marinated turkey breasts in the fridge, I will either dice and roast or roast and pure. Will serve with a daikon salad me thinks to keep the theme here Japanese.

GettyImages-1131522172-563bb3eeef8342789c2c70ff71b9d89d.jpg

@just_Tomek - 💜 love purple yam!!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Options
    Produce fam!

Who is a sweet pea greens lover? I had no idea they had so much protein. (5grams per 4oz)

I’ve been using them in morning shakes (and poms!)

PS - Send all dragonfruit my way. 😉

j2madplzatox.jpeg
    and I’m so happy they aren’t bitter at all! 2 points. 🤗

mzn91xnc4d4o.jpeg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I love pea shoots! Pretty good protein-wise. Last time I bought them was from an Asian market, didn't do anything fancy with them, just added to salads.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Well. I am a man of my word.

5io1aulzot75.jpg

Oh. My.
    Speechless at the presentation of things I would eat. Well done!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I love pea shoots too. I grew fava been shoots successfully on my balcony this summer. Planted peas afterwards, but they haven't been germinated well.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I love pea shoots! Pretty good protein-wise. Last time I bought them was from an Asian market, didn't do anything fancy with them, just added to salads.

Super weird (for me) that I love them but didn’t know they were protein-heavy for veg. Awesome!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    3axy2sthlsmj.jpeg

A very lovely lunch. Left over ottelenghi stuffed courgette with a kohlrabi and apple salad with parsley and a truffle mustard vinegrette. So delicious

This is one of my FAVES and the only reason I have tamarind paste in my cupboard!!