For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    Lol at crab apple!

I found Cosmic Crisp at Winco for $2.99. My Winco didn't have them but I was in the neighboring town's and spotted them. I love Honeycrisp and thought Cosmic had less flavor. I just got one so maybe it was the bad apple of the bunch.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If I'd found them I was going to buy honeycrisp too to do a comparison. Still a plan, as I imagine I'll see them eventually.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,228 Member
    Options
    If you like Honeycrisp, you actually will probably love Cosmic Crisp. I like those two, but sometimes go for Fuji. I had some Arkansas Black a couple weeks ago. I used to like those. There was one available at our coop called an Airlie Red. The flesh was DARK PINK; almost red. Very interesting, and a nice flavor and good crunch. My favorite NAME for an apple is "Winter Banana."
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Speaking of apples, what your favs?
    For me has to be Golden Russett and Honeycrisp second.

Pink pearl apples and winesap apples!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I tried a Lady Alice for the first time today, and it was good. (I don't have a favorite apple, I like that they are different, and different apples are good for different uses.)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Oh man this was a good day to come play!

Apples are my fave.
    This season, from what’s available locally:
    -pink lady, if firm
    -Fuji, but only the cuyama orchards ones (or similar title)
    -koru & kiku
    -envy, if skin feels not leathery
    -honey crisp for certain things, like shaved into salads
    -Gravenstein

Man. I adore apples.

ETA: I only do fresh applications. I just never got fully into cooked apples, except for tart green in some soups.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Just made some Sweet potato Frosting! Yummy, yummy stuff❤❤
    This is not my picture but looked just like it. I've seen other recipes that also include either avocado or coconut oil or nut butters too...but I wanted to keep the calories lowered this time around
    4fm383d10q31.png
  • Katmary71
    Options
    You need to say where you're finding your apples, they're my favorite fruit! I've been partial to Pink Lady and Honeycrisp for year round. I usually get my usual plus one or two different ones to try once fall hits. My favorite seasonal is probably Opal which is good as it's cheaper than a lot of seasonal ones. I'm going to check in on this before going to Sprouts tomorrow!

If you like sweet soups the butternut squash soup I just made has two apples in it, I can type if interested. My SIL doesn't like how gingery it is but I love it and added extra pumpkin spice to mine.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    This video of sandwiches showed up in my YouTube recommendations (it gets me) last night and I particularly want to try this Broccoli Reuben! Tried to link starting at 14:41...

https://youtu.be/lF2sKFnuALw?t=881

Also, Pink Lady 4ever. I might make pie but what's the best pie apple?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    This video of sandwiches showed up in my YouTube recommendations (it gets me) last night and I particularly want to try this Broccoli Reuben! Tried to link starting at 14:41...

Also, Pink Lady 4ever. I might make pie but what's the best pie apple?

Watched it and going to be honest. I see NOTHING appealing about the broccoli samwich. Nothing.

Haha, each to their own. I am stocked on other options right now so it'll have to wait but I am gonna report back and have high hopes.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Watched the video and the last one was the only one I would really make for myself, but they had some interesting ideas.
    The Indian chicken sandwich looked good, but too much cooking for me.
    I’m interested to know how the broccoli Reuben turns out.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    So I was experimenting yesterday and made a sort of Thai-ish curry with cauliflower, green beans, and tempeh, with lite coconut milk and a pre-mixed spicy Thai curry spice I picked up at my local spice store (also onions and garlic). I decided to try it with millet, and wasn't really sold last night. Today I'm having it for lunch with some additional broccoli I added to it, and it's delicious. I think partly the broccoli goes well, but mostly the millet had time to really soak into the sauce.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    It seemed to cook really well (and didn't taste bad, just weird with the rest of the meal, initially). I toasted it in the pan before adding water, which is what the internet told me to do. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like, it seemed like it would work well as a breakfast instead of or in addition to oats.

But tell me, what's the trick?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Watched the video and the last one was the only one I would really make for myself, but they had some interesting ideas.
    The Indian chicken sandwich looked good, but too much cooking for me.
    I’m interested to know how the broccoli Reuben turns out.

The woman with the "veggie" sandwich totally phoned it in haha
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It seemed to cook really well (and didn't taste bad, just weird with the rest of the meal, initially). I toasted it in the pan before adding water, which is what the internet told me to do. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like, it seemed like it would work well as a breakfast instead of or in addition to oats.

Toasting is the trick, from what I’ve read. I tried millet but just can’t mentally get past the fact that I’m eating actual birdseed. It tastes okay enough, makes my house smell like popcorn, it’s just... literally what I put out on the ground for my sparrows and phoebes and juncos every morning. Only if you buy it in a people bag it costs way more.

This thread is reminding me, I haven’t had barley in a while. I like a big old stew with barley, Granny Smith apples, onion, cabbage, and turnips.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    Options

You have to rinse it, a lot. That will remove its almost bitter taste. This is how I do it.
    Place in a pot and cover with hot water from the tap. Drain and repeat until the water you see is clear.
    Place into a dry pot and basically roast a bit. You will it becoming fragrant now and change colour.
    At this point cover with liquid of choice and cook as you normally would.

I didn't think it was bitter, I just thought the texture was weird with the curry, initially. But I will do that next time and see if it makes a difference.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

You have to rinse it, a lot. That will remove its almost bitter taste. This is how I do it.
    Place in a pot and cover with hot water from the tap. Drain and repeat until the water you see is clear.
    Place into a dry pot and basically roast a bit. You will it becoming fragrant now and change colour.

I didn't think it was bitter, I just thought the texture was weird with the curry, initially. But I will do that next time and see if it makes a difference.

Most millet available in grocery stores in the US comes pre-rinsed. If it is, it should say so on the box or bag.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Most millet available in grocery stores in the US comes pre-rinsed. If it is, it should say so on the box or bag.

Didn't say, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. It was this: https://arrowheadmills.com/cpt_products/organic-hulled-millet/
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I am now absolutely obsessed with persimmons. They are around for a short period of time so I am going through case weekly plus I have already dehydrated few pounds of it. Amazing stuff. Hachiya is my absolute fav.

8e95a7cc2f2c9f3a00a7f319eebbf87b.jpg

Love persimmons! I don't know if it's an Armenian thing but my grandmother used cooking persimmons all the time and froze bread and cookies, there was always something with persimmons in it around.
  • Katmary71
    Options
    I bought a new mystery (something new to me) that I've never tried, anyone make yucca that's decent calories? I know you can mash it and use like potatoes. We had yucca plants growing up but I never knew you could eat them until recently. What about agave, I have 2 in my herb/succulent garden.