Kombu recipe, please.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    From this mess to that deliciousness.

Kombu recipe, please.

me too, please.... i usually just toss it in whatever vinegary Asian dressing I have (usually a yuzu dressing), or if I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll make my own ponzu style dressing
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I grew peashoots successfully on the balcony for three years from a single box of dried marrowfat peas sold for cooking. When I ran out I bought more dried peas but my last attempt failed to germinate and I thought I just got a bum batch of peas. I made pea soup of some of them.

Gave one last try with that batch of peas but this time germinated under lids (cookie sheets places on top of
    compost trays) and that seemed to do the trick. Day 9 after sowing last Sunday. The peas are in the top tray. Soaked popcorn kernels in the bottom tray.

cg9e1mnd20hl.jpeg

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Produce Peeps. I needed this visual playground tonight.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Hooray. We scored white asparagus. I never see them in the UK but in Holland, where the hubby is from, they are a seasonal delicacy. A bit of pain to make because they need peeling but much more delicately flavoured the green ones. The hubby will do them tomorrow with some boiled new potatoes served with cold prosciutto cotto we have in the fridge. I will make hollandaise sauce because he gets stressed out by dishes that require last minute attention.
    ysryspwno9rg.jpeg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hooray. We scored white asparagus. I never see them in the UK but in Holland, where the hubby is from, they are a seasonal delicacy. A bit of pain to make because they need peeling but much more delicately flavoured the green ones. The hubby will do them tomorrow with some boiled new potatoes served with cold prosciutto cotto we have in the fridge. I will make hollandaise sauce because he gets stressed out by dishes that require last minute attention.

I just got the Noma guide to fermentation and it has a recipe for lacto-fermented white asparagus. It looks amazing, but if I ever found any I think I'd just want to try it fresh. I adore regular asparagus!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ysryspwno9rg.jpeg

I've never heard of white asparagus but I LOVE the regular stuff. How does the taste compare? And why does it need to be peeled? Does it have a tough skin or something?
  • acpgee
    Options

I've never heard of white asparagus but I LOVE the regular stuff. How does the taste compare? And why does it need to be peeled? Does it have a tough skin or something?

White asparagus is grown under cloches to prevent clorophyl formation and the skin is tough and needs to be peeled so a pain to prepare. Taste is quite different to green asparagus. If I were to say green asparagus is close to green beans or broccoli stems, white asparagus is more like artichoke hearts. In dutch white asparagus is called "witte goude" or white gold.

I was surprised that the British white artichokes we scored were relatively inexpensive. We sometimes get them a German trattoria (they are also a seasonal delicacy in Germany) where they cost £12 a kiloo.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options

White asparagus is grown under cloches to prevent clorophyl formation and the skin is tough and needs to be peeled so a pain to prepare. Taste is quite different to green asparagus. If I were to say green asparagus is close to green beans or broccoli stems, white asparagus is more like artichoke hearts. In dutch white asparagus is called "witte goude" or white gold.

I was surprised that the British white artichokes we scored were relatively inexpensive. We sometimes get them a German trattoria (they are also a seasonal delicacy in Germany) where they cost £12 a kiloo.

That's a good description. I'll have to figure out how to get some and try it out! I'm intrigued more.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    They are always at my farmer's market in normal years. I'm ordering from a farm, so expect they might have them (I prefer the green, however).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    ^^^wow! Beautiful haul!
    I got a green cabbage, asparagus, large sweet potato, bananas, 2 kinds of apples, iceburg lettuce, jumbo avocado, and Roma tomatoes at the store today
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,075 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling, folks.

I'm running out of fresh veggies, or close. But my half share of a produce box is due to arrive tomorrow . . . !
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    k84frtwvrr3p.jpeg

I was on a waitlist for weekly home deliveries of produce and they finally started coming in! This is definitely making my life better :smiley:

I made a carrot top pesto with those fine carrot greens. Amazingly I managed to sprout one of the turnip tops that could have ended up in the trash, so it looks like I'll have turnip greens in the garden this year.

I don't think I've ever tried cherry bomb peppers before. They lent a nice color to a chimichurri I made earlier this week. So happy!

Dang!
    Which company are you using?
    I’m dying of jealousy.
    I have yet to choose a vendor that delivers that degree of rainbow.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    k84frtwvrr3p.jpeg

I was on a waitlist for weekly home deliveries of produce and they finally started coming in! This is definitely making my life better :smiley:

I made a carrot top pesto with those fine carrot greens. Amazingly I managed to sprout one of the turnip tops that could have ended up in the trash, so it looks like I'll have turnip greens in the garden this year.

I don't think I've ever tried cherry bomb peppers before. They lent a nice color to a chimichurri I made earlier this week. So happy!

Wow, that's beautiful! I've been getting a farmer's box the last couple weeks my town is putting together, the pickup is pull-up with a small stand where a person with a mask and gloves brings the box to the car. It's about half that size, I told them they need a larger box! My carrot tops were wilted or else I would've made pesto with them, I just ended up tossing them in my salad. I'm curious what delivery you had too!
  • acpgee
    Options
    The typical germanic white asparagus dinner with hollandaise, boiled new potatoes and cooked ham. A side salad with ranch. I read that Germans on average eat 2kg white asparagus in the short season end of April to end of June.
    4fffhywzdu7x.jpg
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    3sjl7juj2qup.jpeg

A bunch of peppers was the most appealing veg I had left in the fridge tonight. So...Pepperonata on a bed of Pearled Spelt. Tasty!