For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I like this thread as my daughter is vegetarian. Gives me more ideas while she's staying with us (my wife and I are mostly plant based but eat poultry and seafood maybe once a week too).

Making a Buddha Bowl with Peanut Sauce tonight. Black rice, Daikon, Red Cabbage, Black Beans, Red Pepper, Kale w/ Sesame Oil (raw and chiffonade), fresh Pineapple, Roasted Sweet Potato, Pea Pods and KimChi. I wanted the bigger bean sprouts but every store seems to be out of them.

Any other ideas for this? Green Onion or something else that's more authentic?

Likely will make a Peanut Sauce I saw on Minimalist Baker's site for the dressing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to make Nam Prik Om tomorrow.
    https://importfood.com/recipes/recipe/201-spicy-pork-and-tomato-dip-with-veggies-nam-prik-ong

It's a North Eastern Thai dish of warm spicy pork and tomato sauce for dipping raw veg into. We have a cucumber, a small carrot and some sugar snap peas in the fridge.

What other veg do people like for sturdy crudites for dipping into a strongly flavoured sauce (spicy, sour, sweet, salty, garlicky, meaty). I get a little tired of my usual suspects. Would normally add a baby gem lettuce or tenderstem broccoli to what we already have in the fridge.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @acpgee Zucchini or summer squash, celery, radishes, green beans, bell peppers, green onions, romaine, asparagus (thin ones are best raw)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I'm planning to make Nam Prik Om tomorrow.
    https://importfood.com/recipes/recipe/201-spicy-pork-and-tomato-dip-with-veggies-nam-prik-ong

It's a North Eastern Thai dish of warm spicy pork and tomato sauce for dipping raw veg into. We have a cucumber, a small carrot and some sugar snap peas in the fridge.

What other veg do people like for sturdy crudites for dipping into a strongly flavoured sauce (spicy, sour, sweet, salty, garlicky, meaty). I get a little tired of my usual suspects. Would normally add a baby gem lettuce or tenderstem broccoli to what we already have in the fridge.

Jicama, maybe celeriac (it's been long enough ago I ate pork that I'm having trouble clearly imagining the full flavor profile of your Nam Prik Om, though I sort of remember pork ;) - you probably know celeriac is sturdier than celery, similar flavor, maybe a little stronger), perhaps a mild turnip like Hakurei (I think standard turnip's slight spicy profile might compete with the dip?), cold cooked baby potatoes, . . . ?
  • acpgee
    Options
    For a vegetarian version of Nam Prik Ong I would probably substitute minced pork with finely diced reconstituted dried shitake maybe in combintion with quorn mince if you don't mind quorn being highy processed. Nam Prik Ong is a great way to eat lots of crudites. I make rice for grain eating members of the household but don't miss it myself.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »
    k84frtwvrr3p.jpeg

I was on a waitlist for weekly home deliveries of produce and they finally started coming in! This is definitely making my life better :smiley:

I made a carrot top pesto with those fine carrot greens. Amazingly I managed to sprout one of the turnip tops that could have ended up in the trash, so it looks like I'll have turnip greens in the garden this year.

I don't think I've ever tried cherry bomb peppers before. They lent a nice color to a chimichurri I made earlier this week. So happy!

Dang!
    Which company are you using?
    I’m dying of jealousy.
    I have yet to choose a vendor that delivers that degree of rainbow.

Thank you (and also to others who commented :smiley: ). This is from Misfits Market (their larger "Madness" box). I'm just as happy with our most recent box. They also have an option where you can add special items for a little more $$ so this week we should be getting lion's mane mushrooms, hen-of-the-woods, purple broccolini, and some berries. (Yay! New-to-me items!) :smile:

The site is misfitsmarket.com and I have a code if anyone wants to try them COOKWME-BS6FSP (we each get 25% off a box if the code is used, so everyone wins). They are still waitlisting newbies right now.

There are other similar programs like Imperfect Foods. I'm not as familiar with them but I've seen people post pics of their boxes and they looked great to me. I think with Imperfect you can add items like eggs and milk as well.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    summery79 wrote: »

Thank you (and also to others who commented :smiley: ). This is from Misfits Market (their larger "Madness" box). I'm just as happy with our most recent box. They also have an option where you can add special items for a little more $$ so this week we should be getting lion's mane mushrooms, hen-of-the-woods, purple broccolini, and some berries. (Yay! New-to-me items!) :smile:

The site is misfitsmarket.com and I have a code if anyone wants to try them COOKWME-BS6FSP (we each get 25% off a box if the code is used, so everyone wins). They are still waitlisting newbies right now.

There are other similar programs like Imperfect Foods. I'm not as familiar with them but I've seen people post pics of their boxes and they looked great to me. I think with Imperfect you can add items like eggs and milk as well.

I do Imperfect Foods. What I like about them over Misfits is you can customize what you want in the box. When you have food restrictions and allergies, not being able to pick is a waste of money. Like, I can't just eat citrus fruit (too acidic) so getting those would be a waste. Imperfect also has additional options like meat, dairy, eggs, and pantry items. It constantly changes due to what they have access to, but it's a nice option.
  • acpgee
    Options
  • acpgee
    Options
    Nam prik ong.
    gd290085bpmu.jpg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @acpgee - that looks amazing!

On Thursday (the day we were supposed to have the Peanut Buddha Bowl, my wife and daughter wanted quiche instead, so I made it last night.

Turned out good, I don't know if I'd say great. Loved the Peanut Sauce -- just fresh ground Peanut Butter (from Sprouts), Coconut Aminos, fresh ginger and garlic, maple syrup, fresh lime juice, a splash of rice wine vinegar, Sriracha and enough water to thin.

I just put out a veggie tray with everything. Fresh Pineapple, diced raw sugar snap peas, kale with roasted sesame and sesame oil, daikon, broccoli slaw (my wife's idea, didn't love that), KimChi, carrots over black rice and roasted sweet potato. Also some really crispy fried tofu. Oh, forgot red pepper and green onion.

We make a Buddha bowl weekly. This weeks will be Mediterranean with homemade Falafels.

33ql1wh2z0ky.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @acpgee - that looks amazing!

On Thursday (the day we were supposed to have the Peanut Buddha Bowl, my wife and daughter wanted quiche instead, so I made it last night.

Turned out good, I don't know if I'd say great. Loved the Peanut Sauce -- just fresh ground Peanut Butter (from Sprouts), Coconut Aminos, fresh ginger and garlic, maple syrup, fresh lime juice, a splash of rice wine vinegar, Sriracha and enough water to thin.

I just put out a veggie tray with everything. Fresh Pineapple, diced raw sugar snap peas, kale with roasted sesame and sesame oil, daikon, broccoli slaw (my wife's idea, didn't love that), KimChi, carrots over black rice and roasted sweet potato. Also some really crispy fried tofu. Oh, forgot red pepper and green onion.

We make a Buddha bowl weekly. This weeks will be Mediterranean with homemade Falafels.

33ql1wh2z0ky.jpg

You might want to google "gado gado" Indonesia's national dish of salad containing cooked and raw veg dressed with peanut sauce. It's vegetarian too. Typically contains tempeh, tofu, and boiled egg for protein. Boiled potato instead of rice for starch.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's breakfast was from the pantry and fridge. I put some rolled rye in boiling water with a chopped up apple. After six or eight minutes, I added some rolled oats and cooked a little longer. I added salt, of course, and a little cinnamon. And butter! Then I made the mistake of adding some Greek yogurt; it's getting near it's expiration date; the flavors didn't go together as well as I hoped, but it was nutritious and filling. It filled me until about 15:00 when it was time for "lunch."

Lunch was another green salad; lettuces, carrots, and broccoli from the fridge. A sprinkle of black pepper, oregano, and dried basil, dressed with a few ml of extra virgin olive oil and good balsamic vinegar.

zipzgp7bxv02.jpg

Later in the afternoon, my friend sent a text he was taking a break, heading to the river, and trying to fish. The wind was downstream, so that was challenging. The weather was cooler, so we both wore more insulating clothes. And it sprinkled on us. He got one or two and I got three. Good way to take a break.

For supper, I roasted the Brussels sprouts I bought Wednesday. There were two colors - green and purple. There was room on the baking sheet, so I cut up a red potato and a parsnip. Served with a LARGE serving of sprouted brown rice.

bkyzfpl9znyd.jpg

Happy hour was a Quarantini. I use 2:1 gin to vermouth. I had already poured the vermouth and realized the bottom of the bottle of Sipsmith was really thick, and there wasn't enough, so this 'tini was a mix of Sipsmith and The Botanist. Ice from the freezer, olives and Dolin vermouth from the fridge, and gin from the pantry.

wsulnclk02y2.jpg

For dessert I finished the Medjool dates I brought home. They can no longer tempt me!

So all food that I already had at home, and aside from a half tablespoon of butter and some Greek yogurt (that I should have skipped), it's all plant-based.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    Rice (sprouted), roasted roots (red potato and parsnips), and rhizopus (the mold that makes tempeh). How's THAT for the three Rs?

What? Rice AND potato? Yeah dude. There’s a pandemic going on!

I realized it’s redundant to say sprouted brown rice. White rice would not sprout

2ea198ca3iap.png

Yeah. More beige food. Oh well. Tasty! I had two olives in my quarantini. That's green AND red vegetables. I'll probably finish off my broccoli tomorrow and maybe one of my two beets. Then I have to decide if I want to skip my Wednesday produce shopping day and go until the next week on more beige things like sweet potatoes and more potatoes. And more rice. And beans. And beige fish. Or ping if I thaw out that Coho....
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,560 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot I was a beige veggie person today too, had roasted potatoes and parsnips! I'm down to potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, and a carrot but am picking up my town's farmer's market box tomorrow afternoon so tomorrow night should be better.

As for Imperfect produce, I started getting them late last summer and loved them until Winter. I was getting medium boxes. I started getting a box with something bad or that went bad right away, from slimy cucumbers, wilted rubbery broccoli, to potatoes that sprouted the first couple days. They gave me money back for this but it kept happening and if I couldn't count on what I was getting it's not worth it to me. It IS customizable and there are other discounted and non-discounted items you can order. I loved getting it and waited until the 6th time to cancel. They are good at correcting mistakes, my very first box wasn't delivered and they had a driver go out of his way to bring it to me. I really respect the customer service, just seemed to be having bad luck there. Don't know if it had something seasonal to do with it or what.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I live in cherry growing country and the harvest usually beginsin mid-late May but I wasat the Farmer's Mkt yesterday and a local grower was already selling them

Bought 4#'s and they were sweet & delicious despite being early. Yum!

Hope the orchards will be open during the crisis for u-pick-it which is cheaper and a lot of fun.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I am planning to do a starter of bagna cauda tomorrow prior to pasta. This is a warm dipping sauce for raw veg consisting of melted butter, olive oil, anchovies, and garlic.

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/marcella-hazans-bagna-cauda-anchovy-and-garlic-dip/

I have a few sugar snap peas and green asparagus spears in the fridge as well as a head of baby gem. Ideas please for crudites that hold onto the fineley diced garlic and anchovy in bagna cauda. Different problem from my last question around Nam Prik Ong (another warm dip for raw veg) where you want crudites that act as little plates to hold the larger particles of warm dipping sauce that is the texture of sloppy a joe filling.

My go to solution would be tender stem broccoli but would welcome other ideas.
  • MinTheKitCat
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @acpgee
    Oh, broccoli sounds delicious with that dip!! Curly lettuces, light roasted cauliflower, large homemade kale or potato peel chips? ... would the asparagus heads catch the garlic? (cause they would be yummy together with that anchovy!)
    I really just want to make this dip with a nice bread to dunk in it!!!
  • MinTheKitCat
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Does anyone order dried fruit, mushrooms, nuts or other food online in bulk? Typically we buy from a massive local farmers market, but it hasn’t been practical to go since quarantine.