PROTEIN ALERT - Crawfish Season Is Here!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 23MJ88DBFan
    23MJ88DBFan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

@austinwb8 @Crafty_camper123

Love crawfish!!!! 🦞 especially steamed or in an old fashioned boil with just spice!
    Love Louisiana too! 💕

Could go for a pretty bayou drive right now for some Cajun food. 👍🏻 waving from the northeast!
    @njitaliana
    They actually do sell crawfish in supermarkets up here in NY and NJ ...esp fish markets. They are soo worth the try!
    I might have to add them to my list now since you guys have me thinking of them!!

We call them mudbugs too! 😝 I'm in TX, close to Cajun Country, & we like to do boils w/ mudbugs, shrimp, smoked sausage, red potatoes and corn on the cob. It can get spicy!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

Love crawfish!!!! 🦞 especially steamed or in an old fashioned boil with just spice!
    Love Louisiana too! 💕

Could go for a pretty bayou drive right now for some Cajun food. 👍🏻 waving from the northeast!
    @njitaliana
    They actually do sell crawfish in supermarkets up here in NY and NJ ...esp fish markets. They are soo worth the try!
    I might have to add them to my list now since you guys have me thinking of them!!

We call them mudbugs too! 😝 I'm in TX, close to Cajun Country, & we like to do boils w/ mudbugs, shrimp, smoked sausage, red potatoes and corn on the cob. It can get spicy!

@23MJ88DBFan - it can never be too spicy!! 😋
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

Love Louisiana too! 💕

@njitaliana

If your lips aren't numb it's not spicy enough! :tongue:
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

Love Louisiana too! 💕

@njitaliana

@Crafty_camper123 Best quote of the day!!!!
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ahem. “Mudbugs” ☺️

Love Louisiana too! 💕

@njitaliana

Oh no! the last thing I need is numb lips ;)
  • TerylOz
    TerylOz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have lots of crawfish in the streams here in the high mountain deserts of Arizona so going hiking & bagging some is a great calorie burning activity & then you're rewarded by getting to grill them back at camp.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The only crayfish I can find here are pre cooked frozen. I want to try but how do I get any flavour into that meat without overcooking it? Anyone use the pre cooked / boiled frozen kind? Such as these...

kraftor-frozen-crayfish-in-brine__0162217_PE317414_S4.JPG

Yes- I have a family recipe for crawfish stew that is to die for, but unless you're familiar with making a dark roux you will likely need someone to physically show you how before you make it. (Or watch a good video!)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Your best bet would be to add them at the very end of your boil. Just long enough to warm them up. Unfortunatly, you can't get much of the boil seasonings into the meat itself. But it will still compliment the other ingredients nicely. I would make your boil with shrimp, and add these in at the end as a little "extra" to the meal. If these are the already peeled kind, those are best to add into a stew such as gumbo, IMO. Then, the meat won't really absorb flavor so much as compliment the dish as a whole.
    crazyravr wrote: »
    The only crayfish I can find here are pre cooked frozen. I want to try but how do I get any flavour into that meat without overcooking it? Anyone use the pre cooked / boiled frozen kind? Such as these...

kraftor-frozen-crayfish-in-brine__0162217_PE317414_S4.JPG