What digests faster? Carbs? protein? Or Fats

Options
A healthy digestion is a huge importance in weight loss but I'm wondering what burns faster? I'm lightly active. I occasionally work out 2 to 3 times a week. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good ratio for me?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    simple carbs.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For most of us, ratios are very individual, and often connected to our fitness goals or nutrition plans. No size fits all.
    A start would be, to enter your stats into the MFP food tracker, activity level included. The chart will give you a suggestion for the ratios. Compare it to your logged food, make notes about how you feel every day, adjust ratios accordingly.

Best of luck!
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    What matters for weight loss is that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Macros ratios don't matter for weight loss, calories do.

Don't over-complicate things-eat the foods you like, accurately track your food (using a food scale if possible, to measure out portion sizes), hit your calorie target (that MFP sets for you), and then be patient.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As someone with delayed stomach emptying I have to stay low fat and fiber because both of those slow your stomach down but it has nothing to do with metabolism, just digestion.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kath06139 wrote: »
    A healthy digestion is a huge importance in weight loss but I'm wondering what burns faster? I'm lightly active. I occasionally work out 2 to 3 times a week. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good ratio for me?

could it be possible things are being needlessly complicated too much?

I never paid any attention to macros really. I used what MFP recommended (base line) and sorta ensure I am more or less in line. Then select foods that keep me full (satiated).
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Your body is pretty good at arranging when to digest the chyme it to meet needs.
    It seems the kind of thing to only take into consideration if one is trying to impact physical performance - timing has almost nothing to do with weight loss.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So are you looking for quick fuel for a workout? Are your workouts very intense?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options

The MFP default macro ratios are not terrible for most people. Start there.

If you want to be more structured about it, consider this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For micronutrients, you'll do pretty well if you eat plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits.

If you're running out of steam during your workouts, and you're not overdoing the workouts for your current fitness level, then consider eating something carb-y before your workout that doesn't upset your stomach.

For weight loss, only calories matter. But it's:

Appropriate calories for weight management + well-rounded, balanced eating (including occasional treats) for nutrition + exercise for fitness = best odds of continuing long term good health.

And most of us want good health, not just thinness, right? :)

Best wishes!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Simple carbohydrates, complex carbohydrates, proteins, fats (fastest to slowest GI transit time)
    Combining macros will "muddy the water" in how fast food moves through your GI tract (ex) fat + carbohydrate food will still digest fairly slow, for instance, peanuts). Combining proteins & fats with carbohydrates also makes the glycemic index fairly irrelevant because of this

Has relevance (mainly avoiding high fat content, dose/grams fat does matter) in avoiding hangover effects of many medications (notable zolpidem, doxylamine, sildenafil, etc.) and ensuring faster peak onset of effect. Likewise fat content is important for absorption of numerous vitamins & medications
  • kath06139
    kath06139 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So are you looking for quick fuel for a workout? Are your workouts very intense?

Yeah I'm doing plyometrics circuit from insanity. And I figure as long as i eat some good low carb food like a veggie and berry smoothie before and have high quality protein i.e. wild caught salmon after I should be fine right?
  • kath06139
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The MFP default macro ratios are not terrible for most people. Start there.

If you want to be more structured about it, consider this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For micronutrients, you'll do pretty well if you eat plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits.

If you're running out of steam during your workouts, and you're not overdoing the workouts for your current fitness level, then consider eating something carb-y before your workout that doesn't upset your stomach.

For weight loss, only calories matter. But it's:

Appropriate calories for weight management + well-rounded, balanced eating (including occasional treats) for nutrition + exercise for fitness = best odds of continuing long term good health.

And most of us want good health, not just thinness, right? :)

Best wishes!

Thank you so much for that link and wow that was a lot of info and I'm not going to analyze it too deep but I definitely understand what you mean and it is my goal. Just being lean and living a long healthy and youthful life
  • kath06139
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Yeah I'm doing plyometrics circuit from insanity. And I figure as long as i eat some good low carb food like a veggie and berry smoothie before and have high quality protein i.e. wild caught salmon after I should be fine right?

Why would you think you should eat low carb food before a workout? It's exactly the opposite. You should have some carbs before hand to fuel your energy level for the workout, especially if it's high intensity.

I add 100g of frozen acai puree about 30 to 40g of arugula and I try to alternate that with chard or kale and my plant milk which is called ripple and 15g of cordyceps powder is that bad?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Why would you think you should eat low carb food before a workout? It's exactly the opposite. You should have some carbs before hand to fuel your energy level for the workout, especially if it's high intensity.

I add 100g of frozen acai puree about 30 to 40g of arugula and I try to alternate that with chard or kale and my plant milk which is called ripple and 15g of cordyceps powder is that bad?

I have no idea. I'd log it and see the breakdown. It's not that critical but before a workout, some carbs and a little protein is ideal. After, some protein and a some carbs. Adequate fat throughout the day. None if this has to be very precise though. Sounds like you may be trying to get overly perfectionistic about it.
  • kath06139
    Options

I want to thank everyones input and opinion thus far and it has made me realize that I am over thinking this too much 🤣🤣🤣 I'm finally ready to go back to where I was which was 40lbs less currently at 5'3 160lb age so the MFP has me at 1200 so I'm just going to play around with those numbers and work out 2 to 3xs a week and always listen to my body and hope for the best.
  • kath06139
    Options

I have no idea. I'd log it and see the breakdown. It's not that critical but before a workout, some carbs and a little protein is ideal. After, some protein and a some carbs. Adequate fat throughout the day. None if this has to be very precise though. Sounds like you may be trying to get overly perfectionistic about it.

That's exactly what I thought ....but when I started doing a lot of research about nutrition macros digestion diet fads my mind got overwhelmed and it led me doubts.
    Got to keep it simple and do a lot of testing to see what is right and good for me :)