No success on keto

Options
I have been following the keto diet since the beginning of the year. I hit the numbers + or - 10g and my net carbs are usually 20-25g. I have only lost 6 pounds and 0 over the last two weeks. Starting to wonder if I should try something else.

Replies

• plitrico
    plitrico Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat enough fat while keeping the calories down. I have been hovering around 1800 calories a day. I also started going to the gym this week so maybe I need to give it more time. Thanks for all of the replies.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    plitrico wrote: »
    I find it hard to eat enough fat while keeping the calories down. I have been hovering around 1800 calories a day. I also started going to the gym this week so maybe I need to give it more time. Thanks for all of the replies.

I did a low(er) carb WoE for a while and it worked great, but wasn't sustainable for me. Carbs were limited to <100g daily, but I don't think I ever got fully into ketosis.

While I was doing it though, I went much higher on cheeses, burgers, bacon, eggs, full fat dairies and everything else than what conventional wisdom said I ought to, and it helped immensely.

That said though, the calorie deficit is still what enabled me to lose weight. Best fortune with your goals.

edit: Echoing the others, your rate of loss looks good. Be patient :)
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have been following the keto diet since the beginning of the year. I hit the numbers + or - 10g and my net carbs are usually 20-25g. I have only lost 6 pounds and 0 over the last two weeks. Starting to wonder if I should try something else.
    "Only 6 pounds" in two weeks? :o If that is so, you need to adjust your mindset and expectations. There are no quick fixes when it comes to weight loss.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    "Only 6 pounds" in two weeks? :o You need to adjust your mindset and expectations. There are no quick fixes when it comes to weight loss.

Well, there are...but that's what you good folks here work so hard to head off. ;)

Eating disorders...and some of the really bad info and "how to do it" guides that are out there are frightening. I've bought into a couple of the less harmful ones in the past myself....arg lol.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    6 lbs since the beginning of the year, and 0 pounds in the last 2 weeks...so that's like 6 lbs in the first month, much of which will be water, and then no loss for this month so far.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Phirrgus I may have misunderstood the comment though. 6 pounds lost, 0 in two weeks. I wonder though in what span of time the OP lost the initial 6.
    edit: thanks @tcunbeliever
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    6 lbs since the beginning of the year, and 0 pounds in the last 2 weeks...so that's like 6 lbs in the first month, much of which will be water, and then no loss for this month so far.

That's probably why folks are referencing the deficit and her starting the gym routine. She said she's "hovering around 1800"...which isn't very specific.

Also, as she's going for ketosis, there are probably a lot of servings of butters/cheeses/oils etc in her diet now. Things that if aren't weighed properly can be super easy to over estimate.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    @Phirrgus I may have misunderstood the comment though. 6 pounds lost, 0 in two weeks. I wonder though in what span of time the OP lost the initial 6.
    edit: thanks @tcunbeliever

@Fatty_Nuff Yeah, I had to reread a couple of times myself lol. Never know if it's my old eyes or the words on the page :)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    For what it's worth, I do keto for migraine control, and I actually find it harder to lose weight on keto than on a standard LCHF diet. Not having migraines is magical, and for a lot of people keto is magical for weight loss because they have a reduced appetite or IR or T2D or other metabolic issues that keto helps to resolve. But in terms of just losing weight with no other health issues, it's not magic, it's still about eating less. And if keto is so restrictive that you struggle with sticking to it long term, then something less restrictive might be more effective.

We have common ground there - I killed my own progress by restricting myself so needlessly, but I didn't know what I didn't know, ya know?

Sorry about the migraines you deal with too. A close relative of mine gets them very frequently. I could only imagine..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What are your overall goals (besides weight loss since that’s what you asked about in the OP) and how do you believe keto helps achieve those goals above and beyond what any other diet that results in a calorie deficit would provide?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    5cf2alu1cpo3.jpg