Car snack ideas needed

Options
2»

Replies

• hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a small bag of dried fruit and nuts. Cheap and easy to eat at the wheel, and very satisfying, but make sure you have a weighed portion, not a big bag! The problem with sweet carb only snacks based on fruit or grains is that you feel just as hungry after you've eaten them. Well, I do anyway! Ideally you want to hit your stomach with something that also has some fat and protein, otherwise the stomach demon knows it's been short changed.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, carrot sticks, cucumber slice, cherry tomatoes. Salary if you like :s
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Personal preference is shakes and fruit. For longer drives I might have protein bread/peanut butter ready.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Jerky...but I'm curious as to why you need road snacks for a 2 hour drive.

My guess is she said it's around 11am - so two hours around that time does dip into the lunch hour. Depending on how early her breakfast is, this can get to a time where you're starting to deal with hanger...for me anyway!

That would make sense. I'm just not much of a snacker, so I always find the snacking posts kind of odd. Not a big deal when you're calorie counting, but I think regular and mindless snacking and feeling the need to snack all the time is a big reason so many people are overweight.

I find having proper, full, regular meals works best too. I have periods where I need to drive a fair bit, but I schedule in a break to eat if need be....because.....I've got my hands on the steering wheel and my eyes on the road, not on food.
  • mtnbkr1966
    mtnbkr1966 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I leave home at 7a so I need things I can throw in my bag or the fridge at work and grab on my way out at 11. I usually eat at 6:30a and lunch between 2-3. I need to find thing that will keep my body fueled and filled until lunch

I get it!! That's a crazy long stretch between meals. When I was in a similar situation, rather than have a "snack" I had 4 meals/day - for example: 1st breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch and dinner. It really helped me make better choices just by changing the label. If it's a "meal" then I think it's easier to avoid the "munchie" foods and go for something nutritious. There are lots of great suggestions re those above. Good luck! I know you can do this!!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's too long without a meal, or maybe a mini meal. Sandwich. deli meat and cheese slices with crackers, or wrapped in lettuce. Finger food veggies. Meal replacement bar or cookie (like Lenny and Larry's), or homemade muffins with protein added (meat, cheese, or protein powder).

• adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mini peppers filled with cheese, tuna salad, peanut butter, hummus or cream cheese.
  • cary4565
    cary4565 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love drinking soup for lunch on the go. You can put it in a go cup or a mug.
  • TheMothership71
    TheMothership71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in my car a lot and some days I don’t get a lunch time at all. So I bring apples,small amount of nuts, maybe an egg and or small amount of cheese. Lots of water and flavored water in my car. Here’s the most important part...I have a talk with myself and commit to not stopping and buying anything else. I only eat and drink what’s in mg car. I believe it’s HUGE to not eat or drink things with added sugar or artificial sweetener. Sugar is bad news. And it just makes you hungry again. Eat REAL food. I even snack on half a sweet potato or celery with homemade peanut butter. No oil or sugar in the pb.
    Make really solid clean food decision before you get in the car and stick to it. You got this. 💪🏼. Best wishes!!
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have some mix of things for best satiety. Maybe some green grapes, cherry tomatoes and jerky. Or carrots and celery sticks, peanuts and a hard boiled egg. Or buy some of those Sargento Balanced Breaks from Costco or Target. They're little containers of nuts, dried fruit and cheese, and quite satisfyingly tasty. They travel well.