Excessive Poster Here/27yrs/mom

Options
Hello all,
This is my 2nd go around with MFP. I was here last year maybe a little later in the year and abandoned ship on Thanksgiving. Gained all my weight back, about 20lbs.

My goal weight is 160lbs and I'm currently at 210lbs last time I checked. That was last week.

I've decided to give as much as I can for the next 3 months to a healthier lifestyle. I slip up, which I expected, but I am going pretty strong for the first week as far as water consumption and gym participation. Last few days I've overshot the 1200 calorie goal.

When I'm on MFP I post long posts. My daily intent and what I've done for the day. In turn, I like lots of interaction from the website and appreciate it when people call me out for skipping the gym or not logging my food.

If you also like to comment a lot, please add me! I know each person on here knows something I don't or has tried a method I haven't and I am always open to try new things!

Okay that's it! Thanks!

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    This is my 2nd go around with MFP. I was here last year maybe a little later in the year and abandoned ship on Thanksgiving. Gained all my weight back, about 20lbs.

My goal weight is 160lbs and I'm currently at 210lbs last time I checked. That was last week.

I've decided to give as much as I can for the next 3 months to a healthier lifestyle. I slip up, which I expected, but I am going pretty strong for the first week as far as water consumption and gym participation. Last few days I've overshot the 1200 calorie goal.

When I'm on MFP I post long posts. My daily intent and what I've done for the day. In turn, I like lots of interaction from the website and appreciate it when people call me out for skipping the gym or not logging my food.

If you also like to comment a lot, please add me! I know each person on here knows something I don't or has tried a method I haven't and I am always open to try new things!

Okay that's it! Thanks!

The bolded jumped out at me. Is it your intention to try to lose the extra 50 lbs in three months?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'd add that this is a lifestyle change--to be effective, otherwise you'll just keep gaining it all back, with friends. Eat in a way that you enjoy and can do long term. Good luck.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I’m long past the age you are, recently turned 62, and I spend a lot of my time thinking about all the things I thought that, at age 27, I had forever to take care of. Setting lifetime habits at 27 is going to reward you for longer than it will me, but will be of value to us both.

My success this time around feels like it really can be the forever WOE (Way Of Eating).

I eat the foods I like. All of them.
    I limit the foods I like to eat by failthfully weighing and logging every thing I eat.
    I control my weight by eating only the calories I need, for my age, weight and height. (A little less to lose, a little more to gain).

You can do it. MFP is a really useful resource for me, both from logging my food and watching the progress over time, but also for the community here and all the helpful advice.

Good luck.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I know this is a lifestyle change and takes time to perfect healthy habits. I set the time of dedication to 3 months because it gives me a short goal to accomplish. I feel that when I sit down and say to myself hey this is forever, I feel overwhelmed. I would like this new lifestyle to be forever, but my mind isn't ready to think like that.

It sounds like you need to work in some habits. To keep from being overwhelmed, I'd recommend ditching any numeric goal over a specific time - for now. I would focus on a process-oriented goal first. Why? Because if you know the process works, then all you have to do is get yourself to follow it. And that can one decision at a time. Pick some part of the process to commit to that you don't do now - whether it's weighing your food, or logging everything or whatever 1 or 2 things that is. So over the three months you've allotted yourself, maybe you could measure how well and consistent your tracking is and whether you've met your deficit goals over that time. Then you'll have data to adjust to, but once you're used to weighing everything, then it may be a simple matter of reducing a portion size by 10% here or there if your weight loss is not occurring as expected.

I always start whatever phase I'm in in this process by knowing for a fact that the process works. So I do the process today. If I make a poor decision, I don't dwell on that - just make the next one consistent with the process. I know this part isn't for everybody, but I try never to make feelings-based decisions in this area. What I feel can fool me. What I know can't.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    ok, i just think you want friends who are ok with your long posts. you are getting advice because of where and how you posted.

post in the introductions or "want new friends, post here!" and title it: seeking friends who post a lot!

then post the same msg with:
    "If you also like to comment a lot, please add me! I know each person on here knows something I don't or has tried a method I haven't and I am always open to try new things!" first.

then sit back and bask in your new friend requests!
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    From your OP you seem to want lots of friend requests but looking at your profile you already have 33 friends - why can't you interact with them?
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    2020yesyouwill2020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I know this is a lifestyle change and takes time to perfect healthy habits. I set the time of dedication to 3 months because it gives me a short goal to accomplish. I feel that when I sit down and say to myself hey this is forever, I feel overwhelmed. I would like this new lifestyle to be forever, but my mind isn't ready to think like that.

It sounds like you need to work in some habits. To keep from being overwhelmed, I'd recommend ditching any numeric goal over a specific time - for now. I would focus on a process-oriented goal first. Why? Because if you know the process works, then all you have to do is get yourself to follow it. And that can one decision at a time. Pick some part of the process to commit to that you don't do now - whether it's weighing your food, or logging everything or whatever 1 or 2 things that is. So over the three months you've allotted yourself, maybe you could measure how well and consistent your tracking is and whether you've met your deficit goals over that time. Then you'll have data to adjust to, but once you're used to weighing everything, then it may be a simple matter of reducing a portion size by 10% here or there if your weight loss is not occurring as expected.

I always start whatever phase I'm in in this process by knowing for a fact that the process works. So I do the process today. If I make a poor decision, I don't dwell on that - just make the next one consistent with the process. I know this part isn't for everybody, but I try never to make feelings-based decisions in this area. What I feel can fool me. What I know can't.

Yes! Exactly what I am trying to do! I must be a poor communicator. The 3 months is the time I've allotted to test the process to see if it works, and if it does, then to try and keep it going for longer than three months. That's also why I really would like to not get on the scale at this time. I know weighing my food works, so I do weigh all of my food. I know going to the gym works, so I visit the gym. What you said is exactly my plan and so I try to post in depth about what I'm doing and the new things I'm trying, as such if I can find like minded people on MFP I want to read their posts too, can't see em if I don't friend them!
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    suziecue25 wrote: »
    From your OP you seem to want lots of friend requests but looking at your profile you already have 33 friends - why can't you interact with them?

I do interact with them. Most of what is on their feed is xxxx logged in for 20 days or xxxx did cardio for 45 minutes and burned blah blah blah. Sure, I could comment and ask, and that's a great point, in the future I will because seriously, as of now I didn't even think about asking these people what their doing. I always volunteer information and just assumed other would too if they wanted people to know their process.
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »
    ok, i just think you want friends who are ok with your long posts. you are getting advice because of where and how you posted.

post in the introductions or "want new friends, post here!" and title it: seeking friends who post a lot!

then post the same msg with:
    "If you also like to comment a lot, please add me! I know each person on here knows something I don't or has tried a method I haven't and I am always open to try new things!" first.

then sit back and bask in your new friend requests!

I thought I was in that thread and I apologize. I realize now after checking I'm in getting started. Oops!
  • 2020yesyouwill2020
    Options
    Also literally going to copy what you said and post there! Hope that's okay. Thank you!