Anybody going vegan or vegetarian besides me? :)

Options

Replies

• Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes.
    Apparently clinton eats Salmon and Eggs once a week to get his nutrients in. Thought that was interesting.

ALWAYS the 'politician'! Don't the Democrats know they already have most of the Vegans? lol.
    Y'all don't hate on me---it's all in fun!

The Dems don't have this vegan; I'm Libertarian. Which is probably even worse. :smokin:

That said, at the OP: I'm vegan, have been since April-ish, basically because I had to ditch animal products for medical reasons. But before that, I was ovo-lacto vegetarian all my life, having refused meat since my mother started feeding me solid food. It's a taste/texture thing for me, too, as opposed to an ethical thing, so I feel what you're saying. Happy experimenting!

I'm a libertarian too :bigsmile: :

Woohoo! We should start a Libertarian Vegan group. There'd be, what? Two members at least? :laugh:
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    What are the differences of vegan & vegetarian?
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    No, but I make a lot of vegetarian dishes that I can freeze up because I like to limit my meat intake and the amount of crazy money I have to spend to get it (it's really expensive here). I make things like spinach ravioli, eggplant lasagna, falafel, mushroom meatballs, pasta sauces (like marinara and cauliflower alfredo), and soups/stew with whatever is in season and freeze them so that I can throw them in the oven or pot when I need a quick healthy meal. It's a great way to get preserve all the fresh things that you'll probably be using!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    What are the differences of vegan & vegetarian?

Vegetarians don't eat any animal flesh (I know it's gross, but it's the only way I can think to describe it). Vegans don't eat anything from an animal including the flesh, but also things like milk, cheeses, and honey.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Veganism also usually includes not using any products that were tested on animals or contain animal by-products. True Veganism is actually very strict. As a diet though vegans dont eat anything that had a fae, family or pulse lol they dont eat dairy or eggs or honey or anything that uses those as ingredients they also dont eat the by-products like caisen, collegen or gelatin.
  • fitmelrideough
    Options
    Ever since living with my boyfriend, who is vegetarian, I have cut out a LOT of meat from my diet. When I was overweight, I used to eat a lot of meat, and to be honest, I couldn't digest it very well either. I am much happier now. Even just cutting out some instead of going full on vegetarian will do wonders for the way you feel. And there's loads of options for you to still get your protein while doing so. :)
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how many things people buy everyday that they have no idea is vegan.
    Huh? anything without meat/meat products is vegan. I don't have anything against veggies and fruits, I just also eat cheese and meat.

I think going Vegan might require you to eat too much frankenfood and most especially too much soy. I guess you could do it with just beans and rice and other whole foods, but it doesn't seem to be the popular route. The biggest issue seems to be getting enough protein safely.
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I went full vegetarian about a year ago and went mostly vegan a few months ago. If I go out to eat and there isn't any good vegan options, I will just eat vegetarian but on the whole, I stay vegan. I love it, and I feel like I am doing something good for my body and the world. I just started on MFP and would love to have you as a friend :)

Very similar story. I went pescatarian almost 2 years ago and been vegan for nearly 5 months. I enjoy it very much and I know my entire body does as well. The only worry you should have is your B vitamin replacement. I take a B complex supplement everyday. I've lost 27 lbs since being vegan and 11 since being on MFP. I enjoy this site and the vegan diet very much. I strongly encourage this and the best of luck to you! <3
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've tried and failed many times. I don't eat red meat at all but cannot stop eating chicken or turkey
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I think going Vegan might require you to eat too much frankenfood and most especially too much soy. I guess you could do it with just beans and rice and other whole foods, but it doesn't seem to be the popular route. The biggest issue seems to be getting enough protein safely.

Not true. I eat no "frankenfood," very little in the way of packaged/convenience foods, and not much in the way of soy unless I happen to be in the mood for some. (I don't have any reason to fear it.) And most of the time I struggle to stay under my protein limit (I'm on medical protein restriction). I am supposed to eat less than 40g of protein a day; I could easily eat at least twice that without ever touching soy. You'd be surprised at what has a lot of protein in it that isn't soy. That said, if I didn't like beans and legumes as much as I do, I might have some difficulty, but since I love those, it's all good. Also, if you can't do gluten, you can't have seitan, another good source of vegan protein. So really, it all depends on how you do it. Generally, it's surprisingly easy.

As to "What is a vegan?"...It depends on if you're talking about simply not eating animal flesh and animal products/by-products or if you're talking about the whole "lifestyle" that avoids clothing made from animals or products tested on animals and all that. I follow the diet for medical, not ethical, reasons and am not interested in the "lifestyle." Therefore, the "vegan police" would drum me out of the ranks toot sweet, but I call myself one because people generally understand what it means when it comes to, say, ordering something in a restaurant. That said, I eat honey because I'm a hobby beekeeper. My girls don't seem to mind sharing their bounty with me. I've been known to make a quick "honey raid" without a suit on, and I've never gotten stung.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was surprised at how many things people buy everyday that they have no idea is vegan.
    Huh? anything without meat/meat products is vegan. I don't have anything against veggies and fruits, I just also eat cheese and meat.

That's actually the way I'm eating now with a focus on whole foods like beans, whole grains, etc etc :) I've never bought 'fake' meat and never intend to. I also have never had things like tofu. Soy is something I have no interest in and have never had it, besides it being a trace ingredient when I still ate SAD. I'm getting in enough protein and so far it's going really well :) If anything, the only problem I've had so far is that I've started losing weight, because these kinds of foods are very filling, but not very calorie dense. So I'm naturally eating less calories now. I'm supposed to be in maintenance though :tongue:
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Vegan.
  • HealthyJ981
    HealthyJ981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was about 10 or so. Eating meat grosses me out. Just be careful that you dont substitute meat with carbs.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!
    I have been "meat" free since the beginning of this year. Still eating dairy & eggs (along with fish from time to time).
    I am slowly cutting down on the eggs and dairy. Looking to be plant strong starting 2014. (Sorry, just cannot use the term "Vegan"!)

All the best on your adventure!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm in Louisiana too, I started eating vegetarian last year and over the last few months moved over to eating mostly vegan; I try to keep some flexibility, but probably 95% vegan right now.
  • 199WillDo
    199WillDo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Count me in I have tried before and felt great however, I didn't stick with it.
  • amandanilo
    amandanilo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was about 10 or so. Eating meat grosses me out. Just be careful that you dont substitute meat with carbs.

My problem exactly!

I went vegetarian when I was about 13 - same reasons as you - it grossed me out. However, most of my meals were all carbs - big bowls of pasta, breads, pizza, fries, etc. You assume being a vegetarian would make you skinny. Well, it does - if you do it the right way! I did not.

After reading a few books, I decided to try and go vegan. It's only been a few days and I've basically given up all dairy. I had a Kind bar that has a little milk in it, though. Other than that, I think i've been doing well. I had made homemade tomato sauce with fresh herbs and ingredients from the garden, but I didn't want to have the pasta! I ended up making zucchini spaghetti and it was great and filling. I just need more options. I'm never sure what else to make but I know there are so many recipes out there. I just need to look!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Vegan for 6+ years, Meat Free for 10+ years! I have an open diary and like to share recipes!
  • bkitten1
    bkitten1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just became mostly plant based eater :) was a vegetarian in my teens and early 20's got away from it and now finding because of health issue that an almost completely vegan diet is what works for me!