I only eat when I'm hungry. Is that okay?

Options
I've been yo-yoing up and down for the last ten years. Low calorie, low carb, low sugar. It takes over my life. And I do always lose weight, but then I always gain it back. As of a month ago, I'm the biggest I've ever been (100 lbs overweight). So this time around, I decided I'm going to just quietly change how I do things. I want to take care of my body. Listen to it. Try to instill in myself that food is FUEL. I'm going to eat when I'm hungry, and only until I'm satisfied, and only healthy foods that I enjoy and that make me feel good. And I'm not going to obsess. I'm going to eat when I'm hungry, and then forget about it. I want to completely change my mindset in hopes it'll create a long-lasting healthy me. Easier said than done, I know, but, so far, so good.

A month in I'm down 8lbs. I'm not bloated. I have more energy. I overall just feel better. It was hard at first, really hard, but it's getting easier. I really only do eat when I'm hungry. But for forever, I've been conditioned that I HAVE to eat 1200+ calories a day to be healthy. But honestly, some days I don't. Some days I have a light lunch, and I'm good. I'm not hungry for the rest of the day. Other days, I'll have two full meals and a snack (I've never done breakfast, it always made me feel gross). It all depends on activity level really. But I worry, is that okay?

Any pros out there have an advice? Or anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with that method. I would love to get there and hope when I get to maintenance I can adopt that way of eating:). Everybody tends to use 1200 calories as a general rule of thumb, however your height/weight/age/activity level/etc. all factor in. Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are mentally healthy and you really truly aren't hungry, there is no reason to force yourself to eat. It will even out over time. You just need to make sure you haven't sort of convinced yourself you aren't hungry because you are wanting to lose weight so badly.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Some people on here do a weekly average because they'll generally have low and high days, and that's okay. Having low-calorie days is generally fine if they're only a little low, and you generally make up for it on days that are a little high. They would only become a problem if you were to end up in a binge-restrict cycle from going too low and then whipping back and going too high. It doesn't sound like you're dealing with that.

Heck, eating that way would be the ideal I think, but I think a lot of us are on MFP because we have trouble naturally regulating like that. It just doesn't work for me.

100% all this!

I think your way is ideal for long term.
  • money_as_in_banu
    Options
    Hi. I would also suggest to get regular medical checkups to be sure that you stay healthy. Some things might get damaged without you feeling it, so the healthiest approach is to also consult a medic at least once a year for routine investigations. Best of luck.