I only eat when I'm hungry. Is that okay?

Options
13»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    OP, good on you for a strong start. I hope you feel better and better with every month that goes by. Thoughts:

- 2lb per week is a healthy rate of loss for most people with 100 lb to lose. Great job! No need to change.
    - People with a lot to lose have a lot of margin to experiment and find what works for them. Keep experimenting and doing what you are doing for as long as it works. At some point, if it stops working (ETA: loss stops or is unhealthy fast), you can employ other tools e.g. tracking your calorie intake (using a scale and correct entries for accuracy).
    - You can estimate what your actual intake has been based on your loss so far. Most people lose water weight in the beginning, skewing this calculation to a bigger deficit that you actually have. More weeks of data will make this calculation more accurate. Nonetheless, here is the estimate with a couple assumptions to keep it generic:
    --- 150lb is upper "normal" BMI for a 5'6" woman. TDEE if she's 250lb +"lightly active" +30 year old ~ 2800 kcal
    --- a sustained 2lb/wk loss over time for this woman suggests an average daily intake of 1800 kcal
    --- Using your specific data, you can likewise determine what your intake on average has been.

If I ate when hungry I would be overweight. Full stop. Even after decades of maintaining a healthy weight, it's still a daily battle for me. A battle I am winning (!!!) but still a battle that takes some effort nonetheless. I can't emphasize enough how helpful accurate calorie counting is. It really simplifies and demystifies so many things. I highly recommend it as a tool if your weight loss stops before you intend for it to. Best to you!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale, they're not that expensive. Start weighing your food, and consistently do the MFP logging. I used to eyeball cheese, and logged in my portion as 1 oz. When I weighed what I was actually eating, it was closer to 3 ounces. Eye-opening! I made sure to eat a little something an hour or two before a meal, just to maintain a little more energy throughout the day. If you like eggs, they are a great source of protein, and that used to sustain me for a long time for very few calories (I think around 75 calories each). If you are exercising, be sure to eat the additional calories you've earned - you'll still lose weight! I think it's good to listen to your body and eat when you're hungry, but maybe a snack in between meals will help you avoid being ravenous by the time dinner rolls around.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this cuz I watch "My big fat fabulous life" and she weighs 330 ish pounds yet says she can go 24 hours without eating and it doesn't bug her,she has a personal trainer that has to encourage her to eat,now I'm just wondering if you're overweight wouldn't skipping some eating be a benefit? I'm being serious and NOT making light of the situation, I've just been curious since I saw that episode

Wasn't she caught out binge eating in parking lots away from her camera crew and production team?

She makes a big thing out of her weight being caused purely by her pcos which is bull, she pretends because it makes a much better story for viewers than fat girl over eats for years
    She eats more than she lets on
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I'm just curious about this cuz I watch "My big fat fabulous life" and she weighs 330 ish pounds yet says she can go 24 hours without eating and it doesn't bug her,she has a personal trainer that has to encourage her to eat,now I'm just wondering if you're overweight wouldn't skipping some eating be a benefit? I'm being serious and NOT making light of the situation, I've just been curious since I saw that episode

Whitney is lying about not eating. There is no way she isn't eating a whole lot of food. And she weighs more like 380. That whole show is just a joke.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It is a joke but I do like her personality she seems fun but sadly I do think she lies about the eating and yes the PCOS excuse has gotten stale :/
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=5469319
    Sooooo...... Please remember that we have community guidelines, they're located HERE. <-- Please click and review.

Here's a super-cliffnotes version if you're in a hurry:
    1. Discussing/picking apart ideas is totally awesome. Attacking the messenger or the way a message is delivered is not.
    2. Derailing a thread to discuss the merits of a particular food is a form of trolling.
    3. If you're in this thread, lets focus on assisting the OP - give her information and she'll decide for herself what she wants to or should do.
    4. If you want to discuss the merits of a particular food or way of eating, start your own thread.

Happy hump day folks!
    JustSomeEm
    :flowerforyou:

As a moderator do you disagree that telling an OP who is struggling to lose and not weighing/measuring her food to add calorie dense foods to her diet just to hit an inaccurate (since shes not measuring) number is poor advice that should be disputed by other members?

• corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Too few calories can also cause ... constipation.

I had constipation. One avocado a day took care of that! I feel "relieved".

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The problem with eating too few calories is that your body stops losing sooner, and since you are already low, you can't go any lower. I was doing 1200 calories a day, but then I stopped losing and was stuck for an entire year. I couldn't lower my calories any lower, as I was already low. So, this time I see a dietitian, who recommends 1600 calories a day. I have 59 lbs off since July 1. If I ever stop losing, I can safely go lower. So, I would be sure you are at least eating enough calories.