List your Seasonings

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cocoa/cacao: Add richness and depth to stews, sauces, soups, chili.
    Any particular starting recommendations for culinary noobs? I bought some cacao powder when it was on offer a while back and now I'm not sure what to do with it beyond adding it to yogurt.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think it's better cooked than raw, personally - we're talking the plain cocoa/cacao powder, no sugar or anything else in it.

I'm a vegetarian. I find that it adds a nice umami depth to something like veggie chili, or a simlar rather spicy vegetable stew/soup. I like about a tablespoon per (large) serving, but you might want to start with a teaspoon per serving, let it cook briefly to permeate, then taste and see what you think. If you can't taste it at all, add a little more, until you can perceive the difference - which should be enough to decide whether it's something you'll like.

@HeliumIsNoble if you are not a vegetarian you could add the cacao to Cincinnati Chili instead of the cocoa powder:

https://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cincinnati-chili-recipe/
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Smoked paprika.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,569 Member
    Options
    About half of what I have:
    28827798_10156228486585816_7824982110009784557_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&oh=f321a426071900e48f720675e2309080&oe=5CDDF301

Plus nuts, raisins, dried fruits, tomato paste, ansjovis, berbere, sumac, lots of other tasty things. I also have tomato ketchup and apple sauce if I really want something ready-made. There's not need for bland food, really.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Spice drawer and cupboard of random stuff. Also have the usual fridge stuff along with gochujang and soy sauce and teriyaki and junk.
    7l1nfpc9rqwy.jpeg
    ywssaeuyc5xt.jpeg