Why are restrictive diets so popular?

Options

Replies

• witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There’s more than one way to get the job done and what you describe as torture about your friends’ weight loss journey may be pleasant and palatable to them. Hold your breath judging them and others who aren’t doing it your way. See where you’re at in six months and then maybe make your next judgment.

I lost 33 lbs. in 173 days practicing intermittent fasting. Some would call it a restrictive approach. I saw it differently and didn’t feel deprived but, rather, very disciplined. It worked, for me.

No judgment here, it just got me thinking is all. And the way they both takes about these diets, it sure didn’t sound like they were having any fun at all. 🤷‍♀️

Congrats on your weight loss success! That’s awesome!
  • witchaywoman81
    Options

Some people dont want to count calories and would find it restrictive and torture.

Yeah, that’s a good point! I have even seen people here bemoaning this, saying, “do I have to do this FOREVER?” I like the point that’s been mentioned a few times as well about structure. Maybe that’s something we all need. I get it from tracking my calories and eating what I want, while others get it from having a prescribed list of foods to choose from.

• witchaywoman81
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I agree with the notion that, overall, people prefer quick fixes and don't want to admit to themselves they eat too many calories.

Of course there's nothing wrong with keto, IF, carb cycling, etc. However, many people aren't following these diets because they're easier for them to adhere to. They're following them because they think they are magical ways of losing weight.

I can't count the number of times people have said keto causes more weight loss than CICO, that people thought eating outside of their IF eating window would prevent them from losing weight, or that cycling carbs would "boost" their weight loss. These are all examples of overcomplicating weight loss. A person who is just losing weight really doesn't have to worry much about nutrient timing, carb cycling, or refeeds yet I've seen just the opposite in many places, even here on MFP.

Noticing these things doesn't mean i'm judging them for it either. I just wish they'd know that they don't have to worry about any of these things to lose weight. If it truly helps them and doesn't feel like a burden, then that's wonderful! However, it simply isn't true for the majority of people who attempt weight loss. When they quit due to over-restricting or regain weight after going back to normal eating habits, they say weight loss is just impossible and give up until the next fad comes along. It's so disheartening because weight loss truly is accessible for everyone. There's no magic, no special metabolism, and no money to be spent on gimmicks.

QFT. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

You said it much more eloquently than I did. Thank you.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    There are loads of reasons why people choose the way they try to lose weight, someone could probably write a best seller on it....I don't know them all but one thing I do know is that Maintaining that 'your' way of losing weight is the only 'proper' way is like being a religious or racial bigot.... Horses for courses folks!
  • stevee303
    stevee303 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My wife has been using Slimming World 'Syns' for years and years. She wont eat some of the lovely healthy food I prepare either because it is not Syn free or she cant calculate it. This has ABSOLUTELY worked for her as it enabled her to first of all lose weight and then keep at maintenance while still enjoying some of the finer foods and drinks occasionally.

I have a very overweight friend who knows he should lose weight and who says he wants to and 'sticks to the 5:2 diet'. He hasn't lost a pound since I started my weight loss almost 100 days ago. He can see the progress I am making and when I tell him it's basically CI v CO supported by more walking, less alcohol, and a huge (for me) reduction in sweets, treats, cheese etc he focuses on the walking (he does little exercise) and says 'oh it must be the exercise doing it then'. He tells everyone who listens his weight must be 'medical' or 'because of the tablets I'm taking because I've been doing the 5:2 for years'. He may be right but I'm not so sure.....!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Emberlain wrote: »
    "

I carb cycle; eat more carbs on lifting days to fuel training, eat less on rest days to aid cutting weight. It's a popular and successful plan, and easy to implement. It doesn't involve restriction and isn't something to get upset about. Nor is keto.

Is that really all it is? Someone please laugh with me because it’s one of several things I haven’t read into yet. I read and watch a lot of videos about proper form when lifting etc. Other things become noise. Carb cycling is actually pretty intuitive, it turns out. Thanks!

Maybe my tendency to research into what I want to do is the reason why I’d never consider paying someone for their dieting or workout plan. I own a bodybuilding book, used to buy magazines, and now read reputable online sources about lifting and nutrition. That’s probably way too much work for many. They’d rather pay someone to tell them what’s “right” and quick and will gaurantee success.
  • rosiorama
    edited February 2019
    Options

Some people dont want to count calories and would find it restrictive and torture.

Yeah, that’s a good point! I have even seen people here bemoaning this, saying, “do I have to do this FOREVER?” I like the point that’s been mentioned a few times as well about structure. Maybe that’s something we all need. I get it from tracking my calories and eating what I want, while others get it from having a prescribed list of foods to choose from.

Yes! It had never occurred to be that some might view calorie counting as restrictive and/or torture!
    If I think about it, it’s just a set of rules and structure: eat this many calories and strive for these macros. I suppose entering foods may be tedious or torture for some.

What I’m doing does not feel restrictive at all- my calorie deficit is about 200 a day and if I’m actually hungry, I just add am extra 100 calorie snack.This weekend my macros went out the window because I made perogies for the first time in years and I FEASTED. So, most of the time I’m strict, but then I’m okay with enjoying things occasionally. And it’s working. The actual counting and figuring out my food is just part of my daily routine like brushing my teeth is.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I honestly don’t mind that people have restrictive diets. For me, I can’t eat what I use to because it doesn’t fit my calories so I guess I am somewhat restrictive myself. The problem I have is when people don’t understand the mechanism that’s behind their weight loss. Keto for example. It’s the people who drop 15lbs in 2 weeks and think it’s magic when in reality it’s science based and it would happen even if you didn’t slap a label on it.
  • rosiorama
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Because we want it NOW, too bad most of the time we don’t even give a thought about how are we going to Maintain in the long run, if we did we would take our time to learn and make it a LIFESTYLE ...I did on my last attempt (took my time & ate in a balanced way) I lost 45 lbs in almost 2 years, but I’m maintaining for almost 11 years!!!
    No fad diets for me ;)

That’s awesome. And true!