Why are restrictive diets so popular?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    Emberlain wrote: »

TLDR: your way isn't the only way.

Of course not. Eek. If I came across as “why aren’t they doing it my way?” that wasn’t my intentional at all. The way they were both talking about their diets, they sounded miserable, which made me reflect on the many “magical” diets I’ve tried in the past, and my lack of understanding that it’s all about calories.

ok, well, that puts it in a somewhat different light - you didnt mention them being miserable in your OP.

and, sorry, yes it did come across as bit of 'why aren't they doing it my way'

which is why people like me responded saying there is more than one way and calorie counting isnt the be all and end all for everyone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Some people are looking for a magical quick fix which are the real crazy fad diets like the egg diet, etc.

I'd say for the most part though, a lot of people just do better with some kind of structure in place and I know a lot of people who would never stick with calorie counting (like me).

When my wife and I started losing weight years ago, we tried different things. My wife tried keto and that was too restrictive for her (I knew there was no way in hell for myself)...tried South Beach and that stuck (and phase III is pretty much how we eat in maintenance now most of the time).

I basically lost my first 20ish Lbs doing SB with her, though I never did phase I...just started with phase II. I started calorie counting when I became more interested in nutrition on the whole and also started doing more fitness wise. It was fine but certainly not anything I could have stuck with very long term as I found it pretty tedious, but educational...the educational part kept me going for the time I needed. My wife tried calorie counting and was done with it in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I haven't counted calories in almost 6 years of maintenance. I don't count when I want to cut my winter fluff either...I just kinda go back to that phase II of SB and have a few other rules in place for myself that I don't mind.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I have not read the thread, but the original question called to mind this article I read the other day:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/diet-fast-weight-loss-pipe-dream-so-why-do-we-ncna972266
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Emberlain wrote: »

TLDR: your way isn't the only way.

Of course not. Eek. If I came across as “why aren’t they doing it my way?” that wasn’t my intentional at all. The way they were both talking about their diets, they sounded miserable, which made me reflect on the many “magical” diets I’ve tried in the past, and my lack of understanding that it’s all about calories.

ok, well, that puts it in a somewhat different light - you didnt mention them being miserable in your OP.

and, sorry, yes it did come across as bit of 'why aren't they doing it my way'

which is why people like me responded saying there is more than one way and calorie counting isnt the be all and end all for everyone.

Yeah, sorry about that. I blame trying to type something meaningful on my phone while putting a small child to bed. Bad, bad multitasking on my part. 🌈
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have 2 good friends who are on diets at the moment. One is doing something called “carb cycling” and the other is doing what she calls “lazy keto.” I told them both I’m eating what I want and tracking my calories here, and I’ve lost 7 pounds since the beginning of the year, which didn’t seem to deter them from their plans. Not that I was trying to at all, but it got me thinking about why “we” feel like we need to torture ourselves to lose weight. We don’t (generally) gain weight quickly, so why do we feel the need to lose it so quickly? I ask all of these hypothetical questions as someone who has tried my own share of quick fixes...with little success.

They are popular because it can be hard to have to cut back in any way on the amount of food you eat when you've been eating that way for a long time. So a short term diet, a quick fix, however tortorous seems better because you just want to get the weight out the way and get back to life. But the latter part is tricky because you really haven't worked on sustainable eating habits that make you feel good physically and psychologically. You have the body that you want but you don't know how to maintain it. And to maintain it takes building new habits, which will take some time--more time than the quick fix diet. So one way or another, no diet that produces long-lasting results really happens overnight. For long-lasting results, you need to be in it for longhaul--you need to make it a life-habit.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    I think it's a bonding experience for a lot of women. I've never understood it. But I have watched it play out in countless offices & other work environments. They go through all of the fad diets and some do have success but most do not. Mostly it's like a group activity for them.

So true! I have seen a lot of this behavior in a workplace environment, amongst both men and women. Who can lose weight the fastest, and, especially, who’s suffering the most. When I was pregnant with my first child, I was actually the official weigh-in person for my office’s weight loss competition. One team would bring in donuts to try to sabotage the other team.

Ugh...now I kind of want a donut. 😂
  • witchaywoman81
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I have not read the thread, but the original question called to mind this article I read the other day:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/diet-fast-weight-loss-pipe-dream-so-why-do-we-ncna972266

This is brilliant! And exactly the point I was trying to get at. Thanks for sharing. 😀

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

So funny to read this. I was just thinking about the green smoothie cleanse: 10 days of under 1000 calories of smoothies, water, high protein foods, plus being encouraged to use kidney, liver, and bowel flushes. Yeah no wonder there's rapid weight loss.
  • witchaywoman81
    Options

So funny to read this. I was just thinking about the green smoothie cleanse: 10 days of under 1000 calories of smoothies, water, high protein foods, plus being encouraged to use kidney, liver, and bowel flushes. Yeah no wonder there's rapid weight loss.

Do they advise a person to stay near the bathroom during this cleanse? Sounds delightful. 🧐

• hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Aren't all diets restrictive? Anyway, some foods stimulate my appetite. I try to avoid such foods.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »
    Aren't all diets restrictive? Anyway, some foods stimulate my appetite. I try to avoid such foods.

I assumed that "restrictive diets" meant identifying specific foods that must or must not be eaten. IIFYM is restrictive only in terms of adhering to caloric and macros thresholds, without requiring or prohibiting any particular foods.
  • no1elseislikeme
    no1elseislikeme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I started out with losing weight, I looked into the popular diets. Now, I started out in 2017, so it was paleo and all of that. I quickly concluded that none were really for me because they cut out food groups and more than a few were rather costly. I have found that calorie counting works spectacularly well for me because there are no restrictions and I can eat what I want and have my treats and I’m fine as long as I don’t go over my allotment for the day.
    I’m not generally a fan of fad diets because many, though not all, aren’t sustainable long term and one is more likely to fail.
    I’ve always firmly believed that dieting is a highly personal thing and that one size does not fit all. As long as one’s chosen diet is healthy and sustainable long term, have at it as far as I’m concerned.