Strength Training at home

Options
Izzwoz
Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
Hi guys, looking for some advice.

For varying reasons, I do not have access to a gym or a large budget to buy home equipment.
But I would like to do at least some sort of strength training at home, in order to tone up - I am pretty close to goal and am not really looking to lose much more, just firm up things :-)

Have any of you managed to tone up at home without having a fully equipped gym? What is your favourite workout? Did you get a set of weights? Is it possible at home?

Replies

• SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible! I have a small 140cm barbell (I also have olympic, but it's not very convenient due to lack of room), plates, kettlebells, dumbbells, resistance bands and a bench. I didn't buy it all at once, I keep adding stuff as I go, so expences are spread over time. I don't have room for a rack, so my budget version is two high chairs I weigh down for stability and put my barbell on for squatting. Necessity if the mother of invention!
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Powerblocks! Get a set and you can basically work every set of muscles with different routines. Best fitness investment I have ever made.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X...you can download a Torrent of it and try it out and then buy it if it works for you if funds are tight.

If you don't have any weights at home you can get something like this for $40: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225574
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would recommend P90X...you can download a Torrent of it and try it out and then buy it if it works for you if funds are tight.

If you don't have any weights at home you can get something like this for $40: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11225574

I don't know why it ***** D I C K Ssportinggoods.com?
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I got a beater bar from walmart and bought plates as I needed to add weight. Then I found a bench, a better beater bar and more plates on craigslist.org for a whole $25. People/gyms get rid of that stuff all the time, you just have to check. Finally I built my own squat rack from these instructions: http://freckledlifter.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/diy-squat-rack/

Bench, OHP, Deadlifts, and Squats, all in my own living room. We have a big mirror up so I can watch my form, and the husband helps with that, too. (He likes watching my form, teehee).

I started at a crossfit gym to learn form, but now I do my lifting at home, although with less frequency and weight as of late (I'm 10 weeks pregnant ♥)

ETA: you can see my homemade squat rack in my profile pics
  • I just discovered FitnessBlender.com and they have a BUNCH of strength training videos that require very little equipment, if any at all. Best of all, the videos are free!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bodeefit.com. Daily workouts via email, body weight exercises, kick butt workouts.

You're welcome :flowerforyou:
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just discovered FitnessBlender.com and they have a BUNCH of strength training videos that require very little equipment, if any at all. Best of all, the videos are free!

I just went to check out this site it's awesome can't believe I never heard of it before!!
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    Options
    I just discovered FitnessBlender.com and they have a BUNCH of strength training videos that require very little equipment, if any at all. Best of all, the videos are free!

Thanks!
  • ksuemc
    ksuemc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the local Craigs List, garage sales and good will…can usually get different size weights, sometimes even a bench, treadmill, etc.
  • AquaDITN
    AquaDITN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cfc32flvrs
    cfc32flvrs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Dragonflag07
    Dragonflag07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can do a ton at home. As one of the other posters said, you can build up gear slowly. You can pick up cheap dumbbells/plates from ads, gumtree (if you have it), yard sales. Even without any equipment you can still do chairdips, pushups and other bodyweight exercises. Where there's a will.. I actually quit my gym membership recently as I have all the gear I need now. 8 sets of dumbbells, pull up bar, bench, push up stands and whatnot. Still costs less than my gym membership in the long run.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bodeefit.com. Daily workouts via email, body weight exercises, kick butt workouts.

You're welcome :flowerforyou:
    This is awesome! You answered my silent prayer, I'm going abroad for a month and was just browsing for a solution how to survive with no weight other than my own butt! Thanks a bunch!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    To SadFaerie,

Hi - a couple of suggestions:

1. You Are Your Own Gym. A book load of bodyweight exercises from easy to impossible.

2. I challenge you not to find a plain old classical Yoga routine to challenge your strength; whatever your strength level.
  • are822
    are822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I got various weight sets from Five Below for $3 each, a resistance band, stability ball, yoga mat and do T25 as well as videos off YouTube. It's completely possible to get a great strength workout at home for very little money!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

^^^^^^This. Also do some research, I was able to buy weights from a warehouse that buys up and rehabs old gym equipment and sells at a discounted price.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips, everyone, thank you!!! Gonna get started tonight, methinks! :-)