Just signed up for race for life!

Options
I couldn't be more nervous. This is something I have wanted to do for a few years now, I lost my gran to breast cancer when I was one so I'm doing it for her. I have downloaded couch to 5k, does anyone have any advice for a beginner?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There are a couple of groups in the Community that have tips and advice for C25K. This one seems to be active https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

From my own experience:
    • Get decent shoes - if you're not sure what you need go to a store that does proper fittings/gait analysis
    • Take it slow
    • If you can't manage the increase from week to week, it's ok to go back and do it again or do some sort of middle ground week. I really struggled going from Week 3 to 4 the first time so I did my own thing as a kind of week 3.5.

ETA: Also warm up and cool down properly, don't be tempted to skip these bits.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you able to walk for an hour or so? I know C25k says you can start from the couch, but if you get winded walking, you probably shouldn't try it just yet and start with just walking.

Otherwise everything said above is spot on. The proper shoes, go slower than you think you should and be okay with repeating weeks.