Skincare, haircare, and makeup routines

laurenq1991
laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
edited February 2019 in Chit-Chat
What do you guys use for skincare, haircare, and makeup (if applicable)?

This is what I am using right now.

Skincare: For body cleanser I'm using Clearly Natural Essentials unscented glycerin soap (I would prefer to use olive oil soap but can't find it in stores), and for face cleanser I'm trying out the Dove Dermaseries cleanser bar. I just started using it so I hope it doesn't break me out. For face moisturizing I use Vitamin Shoppe hyaluronic acid serum and raw shea butter (in the warmer months I will use just the serum). This is the best thing I have found for my skin so far. I finally found more shea butter in the store today after my old container got ruined in a plumbing mishap so I hope my currently messed up skin will go back to how it was. For body moisturizing I am currently using the Harmon Face Values generic knockoff of Aveeno lotion, which is good. At least it's fragrance-free although I wish it didn't have petroleum in it. For daytime I use the Australian Gold SPF 50 tinted mineral sunscreen which is my holy grail sunscreen/moisturizer/primer/base/etc.

Haircare: I use the Lush Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo bar and Brite Bar None conditioner bar (from Ulta). These are both great products and are a good value since they last for months. I'm very happy to have a plastic-free hair routine. I wish it was easier to find other effective plastic-free products.

Makeup: Currently I'm using the Physicians Formula Healthy Powder foundation, various Burts' Bees tinted lip balms, random Covergirl mascara and blush, and Elf Nude Rose Gold eyeshadow palette.

Replies

• laurenq1991
    I'm just here to see the woo count lol

Why? What did I say that is promoting pseudoscience?
  • laurenq1991
    Some of us just have the woo

It is not science, but religion

I don't know what that means. That people don't like me for no reason?

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I used the australian gold tinted sunscreen this past summer and i liked it but it was super hard to wash off! I don’t think I’ll repurchase it
  • laurenq1991
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I used the australian gold tinted sunscreen this past summer and i liked it but it was super hard to wash off! I don’t think I’ll repurchase it

That is the one drawback to it. I don't find that it's impossible to wash off with a cleanser but it does definitely adhere more than other sunscreens, which is why I also use it as a foundation primer.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ah, I love this topic.

Body wash/soap: Alba mango one or homemade soap from my coworker. Lotion: Vaseline, yellow one.

Shampoo/Conditioner: Matrix Biolage or Davines.

Hair product: Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum for straightening or Deva curl for waves. Davines hair oil.

Face: Neutrogena or Clarisonic wash. Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF. I am religious about SPF. Bare Minerals serum, Korres vitamin C serum, Herbivore pink cloud moisturizer, Curology cream (has Azaleic acid, Clindamycin, and Zinc), hydroquinone cream. Retin A when tolerated.

Makeup: Bare Minerals tinted moisturizer, Giorgio Armani or Dior Star foundation for going out, Smashbox and Nyx powder, Nars blush, the whole Fenty line of highlighters and eyeshadow lol, lips Too Faced, Nyx, or Huda, Mascara Loreal or Dior Blackout.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    hmmm....

For bodywash/soap: Melaleuca bodywashes.... all fruity scents.

Face: Melaleuca face wash, PONDS moisturizer (cuz it's the cheapest.... lol)

Hair: ALTERNA Hair Caviar Shampoo and Conditioner till it runs out and my dyed hair color fades. Then back to cheap better smelling stuff

Hair Product: ALTERNA Hair Caviar Serum maybe 1-2x a week

Makeup: Covergirl blush, random eyeshadows, cheap mascara, and whatever lipstick suits my mood/outfit. I don't like a lot of stuff on my face.....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't pay a lot of attention to product names, to be honest. I do know the brands I use.

Skincare: Quinn's lavender witch hazel, Epielle facial cleansing wipes, Pears soap and Andalou Naturals cleanser, Mizon sunscreen and daytime moisturizer, LilyAna Naturals and Weleda nighttime moisturizers (go back & forth depending on my skin). LUSH Cup O' Coffee face mask a couple times per week. For body...Bath & Body Works body cleanser and lotions (currently vanilla shower gel and rose lotion)...I don't love Bath & Body Works but a lot of other products irritate my skin so that's what I stick with.

Haircare: LUSH Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo & American Cream conditioner, occasionally Desert Essences Italian grape shampoo and some rose conditioner (don't recall brand), Not Your Mother's cleansing conditioner, Not Your Mother's Clean Freak tapioca dry shampoo on occasion. Herbal Essences hairspray. Andalou Naturals styling cream. John Frieda CitreShine laminator. Marc Anthony oil. A lot of this I use only once in a great while. Every few years I go pixie-short and love to use styling products from Garnier that are mostly meant for boys/men but I can't recall the names. When I do retro styles I love Garnier's Power Wax spray.

Makeup: Almay foundation, Rimmel loose powder (sometimes), so many random brands of blush and concealer I can't keep track of them (Benefit and Etude House are in there somewhere), Smashbox primer & eye shadow, Tarte eye shadow, Tarte "Lights, Camera Lashes" mascara (all time fave). I buy a lot of different brow and eyeliner products but they are usually Korean or whatever and I don't even know the names. I do like Billion Dollar Brows universal brow pencil and Ciate pen-style eyeliners though. For lips, mostly I use Bite Beauty lipstick and ME Cosmetics liquid lipstick. If I use cheap lipsticks or anything with a lot of shine then I add Smashbox Insta-Matte on top.

Referencing a comment above, I would *KILL* to not have to use heat on my hair. Even when my hair is barely chin length, it is so thick and does NOT dry on its own. I could seriously wash my hair at 6 AM and try to let it air dry and the underneath would still be truly wet - not just damp - at 4 PM. It is annoying.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited February 2019
    caco_ethes wrote: »

That is the one drawback to it. I don't find that it's impossible to wash off with a cleanser but it does definitely adhere more than other sunscreens, which is why I also use it as a foundation primer.

I use clinical grade 50+ allmedic face and body moisturising sunscreen on my face. I bought it from a skin cancer clinic. It's the best moisturiser I've ever used and bonus sun protection.. it doesn't sting your eyes like regular sunscreen either.

It also has cleared a dermatitis that I used to get occasionally on either side of my nose.. hasn't returned in the 4 years Ive been using this sunscreen.
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Skincare: Face; Cetaphil cleanser, St. Ives scrub, #7 Toner, Clarins Serum and Moisturizer, #7; Body; The Body Shop Grapefruit Body Wash, Body Shop Body Butter (Shea, Coconut), Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion (Cocoa Butter), Neutrogena Body Oil.

Hair: Natural Coconut based Shampoo and Conditioner & Cantu styling products

Makeup: Maybelline primer, MAC, Maybelline and cover girl foundation, Maybelline concealer and setting powder, MAC, Revlon and Maybelline lipstick, Maybelline mascara, Anastasia brow products.
  • seltzermint555
    I liked this post and would love to see more similar ones!
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Cerave cleanser on face, witch hazel as toner. Paula's choice products after and or tazorac cream, which is a prescription product and it is used for acne and is a retinoid too and is used for sun damage as well.

I am 50 and skin still breaks out so have to be careful what I use.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member

Me too!

Face:
    • Basis soap for sensitive skin (I always come back to this.)
    • Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
    • Ole Henriksen Nurture Me moisturizer

Hair: I'm loving Dove Rituals Thickening shampoo and conditioner!

Body:
    • Philosophy Pure Grace Nude Rose body wash and body lotion (I'm in love with this scent!)
    • Philosophy Snow Angel body wash and body souffle (Will not repurchase; it's not terrible, but I definitely don't love it.)

Makeup:

Trying to figure this out. The last time I wore makeup regularly (other than something on my lips, which I always wear) was decades ago. Obviously, the old stuff isn't working. I'm in the process of tossing all my old stuff, and it's making me very nostalgic and rather sad. This may sound very weird, but I have specific memories about makeup, e.g., "I wore that Estee Lauder eye shadow quad to Jack's christening" or "I wore the Chanel Glossimer in 'Spark' to Ann's open house". No idea what clothes I wore, but I remember the makeup! I remember shopping for certain products, too, and the fun I had.

I used to love some of the old makeup boards (does anyone remember The Lipstick Page?) and miss reading/posting. I think I might have loved being a makeup artist.

Enough of the past though; it's time to move forward! 💄💅 💖
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Skincare
    Shower Gel - The Bodyshop Frosted Cranberry (They also sell a good olive oil bar, so that’s somewhere you can look) I use a homemade body scrub. Lotion - The Bodyshop Shea body butter. Facial Cleanser - First Aid Beauty. Toner - Thayers Rose Witch-hazel. Eyecreams - Akar Nutrient Boost Oil &The Organic Pharmacy Lip & Eye treatment. AM facial lotion - Grown Alchemist Hyrda Repair Day Cream mixed with Coola White Tea facial sunscreen. PM facial lotions - Murad Skin Perfecting lotion & Tarte Maracuja Oil. Facial Masks - Ahava Hydration cream mask & Kate Somerville- Exfolikate. I also really love the GlamGlow Oxygenating bubble sheet masks but in the warmer months when I don’t need a hydration mask. Eye Mask - Blaq - hyaluronic acid. Makeup Remover - Marcelle Micellar water. Tools - Foreo Luna Mini 2 Vibrating Facial Brush. Handcream - Ahava Mineral hand-cream. PM Hand Treatment - StriVecton-SD. Lip Treatment - Hanalei in Mauve Pink. PM Lip Treatment - Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask. Lip Scrub - Hanalei Sugar Lip Deodorant - Aromaco Bar from Lush

Hair
    Argan Oil. I don’t remember where mine is frrom. Joico Blowout Creme if I’m putting heat on or Joico curl Correcting Milk if I’m wearing my hair natural. Dry Shampoo - Oribe Gold Lust.

Typical Day Makeup
    Foundation - Urban Decay Naked Skin
    Blush - Tarte Splendor or The Balm Cabana boy
    Eye Brightener - Thrive Brilliant
    Mascara - L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise
    Lipstick - Mellow Beauty - Posh
    or The Balm - Mia Moore

But I only wear lipstick to work.

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    So that’s where my money goes. Unfortunately, I wasn’t blessed with great skin, I have to buy it.

Some great products on your list. I feel you on the skin.

I was plagued with acne up until a few years ago. You would never know it now. Lol.

• seltzermint555
    The good thing about that though ^^ and ^ is that you're taking great care of your skin. I always had clear skin so until I was seriously THIRTY SIX YEARS OLD I just figured oh it's getting clean when I bathe. I didn't even use moisturizer regularly or anything, didn't remove my makeup before bed (gross I know). I did nothing. Then I was like, oh crap I am waaaay behind on all of this stuff.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    I prefer all natural products - For my body, African black soap. On my face I use that same soap OR a Superfood face wash (organic) by Elemis... I moisturize with virgin, unrefined Coconut Oil and occasionally use a serum such as Burts Bees brightening serum or Vitamin C serum (after a derma roller session). I also use a Aztec healing clay mask and occasionally a charcoal peel off mask or a gold peel off mask! <3
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2019
    SKINCARE:

I have combination (oily and sensitive skin)
    Meaning, my skin easily breaks out with certain products...

I am into Korean Skincare (not following all steps though)

For scrub, nothing beats St. Ives (I prefer Apricot) scrub. (2-3 times a week)
    I used to use it daily, but that can damage your skin in the long run, not allow time for your skin to regenerate and actually make you break out even more.

Double Cleanse:
    The Face Shop's "Rice Water Bright" cleansing oil and
    Neogen Dermalogy's "Green Tea" Foam

Toner: Son&Park's "Beauty Water"
    Essence: Time Revolution's "Intensive Moist" Essence

I alternate Serums:
    Seoul Ceutical's "Day Glow Serum" (Vitamin C Serum)
    Time Revolution's "Night Ampoule" Essence (meant for evening, but it works during the day, too)

Moisturizer:
    betheskin's "Botanical Moisturizing Soothing Cream"
    (It's pricey, but the only one that hasn't made me break out besides Klair's moisturizer, which doesn't provide much of a 'dewy' look)

SUNSCREEN:
    I finish up with Neutrogena's Sheer Zinc Oxide Dry-Touch Face Sunscreen (SPF 50). I rub the sunscreen in my hands then pat it onto my face. It is pasty at first, but after a few minutes it absorbs into the skin.

MASKS/EYECREAM
    Once in a while (every other week or so) I also wear a sheet mask (Sulwhasoo's Innerise Complete Mask, which is charged with moisture or Vita Lightbeam's Essential Mask, which is lighter, fights acne and is perfect for flights)
    I haven't tried an eyecream yet. I am not sure whether or not I want to invest in that,

HAIR:

I am a fan of Herbal Essence for shampoos and Aussie for conditioner
    After my hair has dried, I add OGX's Moroccan Oil at the ends.
    If I run out I sometimes make do with Extra Virgin olive oil. Not the best smell, but it works.

MAKEUP:
    I skip it for many reasons, biggest ones is that my skin is super sensitive and that I can't be bothered.
    However, I use a tube of Carmex liberally.

Annnnnnd, that's it.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    SaraKim17 wrote: »

Me too!

Face:
    • Basis soap for sensitive skin (I always come back to this.)
    • Ole Henriksen Truth Serum
    • Ole Henriksen Nurture Me moisturizer

Hair: I'm loving Dove Rituals Thickening shampoo and conditioner!

Body:
    • Philosophy Pure Grace Nude Rose body wash and body lotion (I'm in love with this scent!)
    • Philosophy Snow Angel body wash and body souffle (Will not repurchase; it's not terrible, but I definitely don't love it.)

Makeup:

Trying to figure this out. The last time I wore makeup regularly (other than something on my lips, which I always wear) was decades ago. Obviously, the old stuff isn't working. I'm in the process of tossing all my old stuff, and it's making me very nostalgic and rather sad. This may sound very weird, but I have specific memories about makeup, e.g., "I wore that Estee Lauder eye shadow quad to Jack's christening" or "I wore the Chanel Glossimer in 'Spark' to Ann's open house". No idea what clothes I wore, but I remember the makeup! I remember shopping for certain products, too, and the fun I had.

I used to love some of the old makeup boards (does anyone remember The Lipstick Page?) and miss reading/posting. I think I might have loved being a makeup artist.

Enough of the past though; it's time to move forward! 💄💅 💖

I don't wear makeup, but I love watching makeup tutorials, especially ones involving Goblin King-like eye shadow.
    I could see why you would feel nostalgic tossing those.