Why do some people say eat at your BMR to lose weight??

Options
Let’s says your BMR is 1350 so they would say eat 1350 to lose weight? Is this effective?

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think it’s just a lazy way to find out the lowest you can go in your deficit.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Because some people are gluttons for punishment and assume that if you don't lose 2+ pounds every week that losing weight "doesn't work". I'm not trying to lose weight anymore, but my BMR is 1274 and my TDEE is 2000 to 2300. Whenever I enter a cutting phase again, there's no chance I'm only eating 1274 calories during the process.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I pretty much do eat my BMR - and I don't starve....but my BMR is 1338 per the calculators - and I seem to eat between 1200-1500 (depending on eating back exercise calories) anyway... - BMR is what you burn sitting in bed watching TV all day (or in a coma).....so any movement at all and eating at BMR puts you at a deficit. It's a lazy way of doing it - but it would work. The more you move the more you can eat....
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    People who have been on MFP long enough to know something about healthy and sustainable weight loss generally don't say that. I'm not sure who the "people" are that you're listening to, but I would recommend not taking weight loss advice from them. If someone is even lightly active, eating at BMR may be too few calories for them.

Just eat the number of calories MFP recommends for you. You don't even have to know what your BMR is.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I wonder if a sedentary person could eat their BMR + exercise calories. That would give them a deficit of ~20% (depending on the calculation).

Not recommending it, just thinking out loud.

Hmmm.

My BMR calcs out at 1960. So if I'm sedentary I should have a NEAT around 2350. Be a deficit of ~400 cals.

Not really unreasonable for me. Until I hit the gym or go for a run. Of course it would be too much of a deficit if I had a more physical job or when I'm more active outside of exercise.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I guess that really depends on the person and their activity.

My BMR is about 1550 so I don't eat below that even though MFP puts me below that to just lose a pound a week. So I guess I actually do what you are asking. It isn't out of laziness as others have suggested. I'm not even sure why it would be considered lazy.

I actually find this all a bit confusing. We shouldn't eat below BMR because it's unhealthy - I get that. But MFP puts some of us below BMR to lose weight. Why? Does MFP not think it unhealthy to eat under BMR?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options

My BMR is about 1550 so I don't eat below that even though MFP puts me below that to just lose a pound a week. So I guess I actually do what you are asking. It isn't out of laziness as others have suggested. I'm not even sure why it would be considered lazy.

I actually find this all a bit confusing. We shouldn't eat below BMR because it's unhealthy - I get that. But MFP puts some of us below BMR to lose weight. Why? Does MFP not think it unhealthy to eat under BMR?

I was just about to say similar my BMR is around 1600 mfp puts me below that to lose weight so what gives?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IMO, there's nothing magical about BMR as a hard line one should never, ever go below. It's just another estimate, after all (unless one's been tested in a lab by valid methods).

I'd consider it more a point of skepticism: Unless they're very inactive, someone eating below their BMR is fairly likely to have chosen a too-fast weight loss rate for best health and sustainability.

The calorie level MFP "puts us at" is based on how fast we say we want to lose weight. Sometimes people make less than sensible choices, and sometimes MFP doesn't stop them.

Even at 1lb a week loss mfp puts me below BMR and I still have 42lbs to go :(
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

MFP allows you to choose as high as 2 lbs per week, whether that's a good decision or not. For someone very short or already lean trying to get leaner, a 2 lb goal could put them under BMR. MFP just takes your NEAT and subtracts whatever calories you need to get the right deficit, and then abides by the 1200/1500 minimum. It's just a generic math equation. It also relies on you choosing an accurate activity level. If someone very lean chooses sedentary and 2 lbs per week, they will get a number that is probably too low. If they then decide not to eat back exercise calories, that would make it even worse.

In other words, MFP relies on the user to make informed decisions :wink:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It isn't automatically unhealthy to eat below your BMI. Some people who aren't very active may have to do that in order to lose weight.

It's unhealthy to eat below your BMR if it creates a deficit that is unnecessarily large. This is going to be the case for many, but not all, people.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the BMR calculations are also based on best estimates based on different formulas - there are always going to be people outside the standard deviations that those formula's cover
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

IMO, there's nothing magical about BMR as a hard line one should never, ever go below. It's just another estimate, after all (unless one's been tested in a lab by valid methods).

I'd consider it more a point of skepticism: Unless they're very inactive, someone eating below their BMR is fairly likely to have chosen a too-fast weight loss rate for best health and sustainability.

The calorie level MFP "puts us at" is based on how fast we say we want to lose weight. Sometimes people make less than sensible choices, and sometimes MFP doesn't stop them.

Even at 1lb a week loss mfp puts me below BMR and I still have 42lbs to go :(

Then, if you're actually losing no more than that (approximately, on average), being careful to get good nutrition, and being attentive for any worrisome signs of weakness or fatigue but feeling none, you're probably fine eating below your BMR, health-wise. It happens. Not the commonest case, though.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Your BMR calories is the calories you need just to stay alive to feed your heart / brain / lungs / healthy teeth and hair so on the amount of calories you need if you were just laying in bed!!! Then you have extra calories when your active this includes when you walking / working / exercise / playing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

MFP doesn't "think" anything...it's just a calculator making calculations based on your inputs as to stats, activity level, and desired rate of loss...and you also have to remember that BMR is just another estimate and most people use the body weight formula which gives them a higher BMR...using BF% formula gives a lower BMR value because you don't need to feed fat mass, you need to feed lean mass.

Beyond that, users time and time again neglect the fact that MFP's calorie targets are before exercise and when you exercise you're supposed to eat more...if people did things correctly and used this tool as designed they would in most cases be grossing BMR calories +.

Beyond that, I think a lot of people put themselves as sedentary and aren't really sedentary. When I started out, I put sedentary because I had a desk job and was losing at a much faster clip than I intended to...I failed to take into account that, yes, I have a desk job...but at the time I also had a 2 year old and infant at home and when I got home, I rarely sat down until 8:30/9 PM because I was busy cooking or cleaning or fixing this or that or chasing my toddler around.

IMO, eating slightly below BMR isn't a huge issue. It becomes a bigger issue when you're eating under BMR and then doing a bunch of exercise and not feeding that properly...this is when you start to see hair thinning and falling out, loss of menstrual cycle, etc.