Why am I still so heavy?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I've hit a plateau and not seen any movement on the scale since Christmas! It's driving me spare. I'd love your 2lb loss please!

Do you measure? Sometimes the scales are just being mean but actually other things are telling you more. Measurements can change noticeably while the scale stays resolutely stuck. Or your trousers feel looser. Or your colleagues suddenly start to notice.

If you're getting married in July you'll be down another stone at that rate, that's not bad at all!

Keeping on going is the biggest hurdle.

Good luck!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Weigh all of you food.
    I am 5'10" and 14 stone 5 pounds. I use my Fitbit to figure out my calorie intake. I found I lost better eating 2400 calories than when I ate 2000. I lost 1lb a week and didn't plateau.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are not "types of calories" any more than there are "types of inches". How many calories you eat is the key for weight loss.

So you are saying if a person consumes say 1400 calories as as chocolate bars versus 1400 calories as vegetarian food they will still lose weight? At what cost to the body?

Carbohydrate calories definitely effect the way the body stores or burns fat. It's even posted on the MFP blog
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-is-a-calorie-a-calorie-2/

Yes. They will. Probably the same cost to the body as if they ate 1400 calories of tuna or kale or apples. You can't meet your nutritional needs on a monodiet. Depending on the chocolate bar (The nuts in Snickers or Almond Joy add some protein), it might be a healthier choice. I mean, Snickers or Iceberg Lettuce... which one's got more nutrients? PS: I ONLY eat vegetarian food. Which chocolate bars are you eating that contain meat/fish/poultry?

Most vegetarian food is high carb, btw. Which stands to reason. Fruits and veg are mainly carbs. Even the ones that are also good sources of fat or protein.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    PS: I ONLY eat vegetarian food. Which chocolate bars are you eating that contain meat/fish/poultry?

Excuse my ignorance here. Wouldn't the milk products be considered non-vegetarian? Or are they just non-vegan?

Just curious.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    PS: I ONLY eat vegetarian food. Which chocolate bars are you eating that contain meat/fish/poultry?

Excuse my ignorance here. Wouldn't the milk products be considered non-vegetarian? Or are they just non-vegan?

Just curious.

Just non-vegan.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Just curious.

Just non-vegan.

Exactly. I'm ovo-lacto.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    There are not "types of calories" any more than there are "types of inches". How many calories you eat is the key for weight loss.

So you are saying if a person consumes say 1400 calories as as chocolate bars versus 1400 calories as vegetarian food they will still lose weight? At what cost to the body?

Carbohydrate calories definitely effect the way the body stores or burns fat. It's even posted on the MFP blog

Yes. They will. Probably the same cost to the body as if they ate 1400 calories of tuna or kale or apples. You can't meet your nutritional needs on a monodiet. Depending on the chocolate bar (The nuts in Snickers or Almond Joy add some protein), it might be a healthier choice. I mean, Snickers or Iceberg Lettuce... which one's got more nutrients? PS: I ONLY eat vegetarian food. Which chocolate bars are you eating that contain meat/fish/poultry?

Most vegetarian food is high carb, btw. Which stands to reason. Fruits and veg are mainly carbs. Even the ones that are also good sources of fat or protein.

Just for the record, it's a thing.

250_3609_large.jpg

No sure what the PP would think about "bacon chocolate bar calories". I know what I think (I'm ovo-lacto veg, too).
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

Just for the record, it's a thing.

250_3609_large.jpg

No sure what the PP would think about "bacon chocolate bar calories". I know what I think (I'm ovo-lacto veg, too).

I'm also strictly kosher :sunglasses: No WONDER I didn't know about this!
  • PrincessTwista
    PrincessTwista Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Blimey that escalated! 🤣
    Sorry for the “different types of calories” comment. I don’t deny I don’t know anything about nutrition. I’m learning. Lost 1 this week and actually ate a few more calories than last week.

• PrincessTwista
    PrincessTwista Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @angelb1983 I don’t ever have cheat days. They make me feel rubbish! However I did this week and evens ate a few of my calories from exercise. Lost 1 this week (usually use 1/2) so I’m delighted!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I’m 5ft 10 and just over 15 stone. I’d like to loose 2 n a half stone. I’ve lost 5 1/2 stone using slimming World/ weight watchers over the past 3 years but haven’t really lost any weight since November.
    I’ve been using my fitness pal for 18 day and only lost 2 pound. I know everyone keeps saying “a loss is a loss! Better than a gain” but seriously. I’m seriously overweight. Why is it so slow?!
    I have 1800 calories a day. I should lose 2 pound a week on that deficit. I count every single thing that passes my lips. I was even weighing some broccoli last night as I wasn’t sure how much a cup was! I work out 5 times a week and never, ever eat back them calories. I’ve just finished an 11km run and do HIIT sessions and cardio core session with a small group- it’s not like I’m just doing yoga!
    I feel like I’ll never get to my desired weight. I was going to reduce my calories more but was advised against it as I’m active all day and do exercise.
    I feel like peope see I’m fat and just assume I lie about what I eat. Any advice?!

What I want to know is why everyone is such a jerk about yoga?
  • lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Weigh all of you food.
    I am 5'10" and 14 stone 5 pounds. I use my Fitbit to figure out my calorie intake. I found I lost better eating 2400 calories than when I ate 2000. I lost 1lb a week and didn't plateau.

I’m a similar height/weight and I have found the exact same thing. Too few calories/heavy exercise = agonizingly slow weight loss. Slightly higher calories/heavy exercise = steady weight loss of about 1 pound/week. Too few calories and my resting heart rate drops to 48 (I’m not that fit!), I’m constipated and tired. At about 1900-2000 calories (+ exercise) I lose weight, my heart rate rebounds to its normal 60 bpm, and I have energy. So OP, given how hard you’re working out, you might want to try going up just a little in calories. Then re-evaluate after a few weeks.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    There are a number of factors to consider. First, if you weigh yourself everyday, stop! Weight can fluctuate rapidly through the day just like blood pressure. Once a week is sufficient.

I disagree. Weighing yourself every day will give you data on how your body holds sodium, water fluctuations, what your body does at that time of the month.

You will see trends and be able to see why you are up a few pounds and realize that it is not fat, but rather some other fluctuation.

Weighing once a week will give you your weight for that day and that particular time only. It won't show you that you were down two pounds a few days ago and that the trend is heading downward, rather than staying stagnant or even going up.

I recommend downloading an app like Libra or Happy Scale and recording your weight every day to see your trends.

I weigh everyday to see my ranges. Last month was 216 to 219; this month 209 to 212; I’m trending down. If I have a weird spike I can examine what happened, sodium, need more water etc.... I started in Nov at 236, and I weigh 3-4 times a day....keeps me honest.
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    So you can weigh more because of sodium? What are the reasons for your body holding water? X
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Often it has to do with healing/tissue repair. Up your exercise and expect a temporary uptick in weight. Most women experience water retention at a certain point in their cycle, too. (I generally retain more water shortly before my period starts and lose it during. I know there are some people who retain water during and lose it after.) I know when I had surgery, I took on about 8lbs of water weight while I healed.

One thing you can do to shed water more quickly, though it sounds counter-intuitive, is increase your fluids. As I had it explained to me, your body needs water to repair itself. So it starts hanging onto it. When you drink more, a message goes out to your kidneys, "Hey, we actually don't have a fluids shortage; there's plenty coming in. So go ahead and release those reserves."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    mummy_h wrote: »
    So you can weigh more because of sodium? What are the reasons for your body holding water? X

Fluctuations in water retention are just part of how healthy bodies operate:

More sodium consumed than normal, more carbs consumed than normal (even when perfectly sensible amounts of either, within calorie goal); inflammation from healing or illness, including the micro-healing involved with a new workout; hot weather; hormonal changes (menstrual cycle related for women, but there are also other similar causes); stress/cortisol; . . . and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.