Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is starvation mode a myth?

Options

Replies

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Bree1308 wrote: »
    I had weight loss surgery a year ago (I am not here to be judged, please). In this past year I have lost 135 lbs (Yes, I am healthy). The surgery claims patients lose about 60% of their excess weight. I have surpassed that with taking on running and working out regularly. Anyway, what I can contribute to this conversation is my own personal experience which, to some extent, involves a level of starvation, especially right after the surgery. I have learned that weight is one hell of a “thing.” Throughout this process, each step of the way involved increasing calories to reach a new normal calorie level for myself. How did my body signal to me that more calories were needed? My weight stalled.....

So yes, I do believe if someone who is overweight follows a strict/honest diet, their body will throw them an extremely discouraging curve ball at a time when discouragement is the last thing they need.

First, congratulations on the weight loss.

Regarding starvation though - have you ever read up on the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

6 months at 1560 kcals a day. I'm asking because hunger pangs (I'm starving!) and starvation aren't the same thing. May I ask what your caloric intake was during your recovery?

Thanks

edit: The 1560 is per wiki - I had thought it was less than that...input appreciated.

I was just reading about the experiment the other day, and was wondering if it would come up on this thread. I also thought they were allowed fewer calories.