Replies

• mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Yes, not at 70# but I want to build to more. I love the thought of squatting my body weight, why? I dont know it sounds strong.

You're on the right track. I started out squatting 65lbs. I'm now at 200. My thighs are the farthest thing from bulky- they're muscular, but nowhere near "bulky" (I f*c&ing hate that word). There is nothing wrong with progressively building your squat weight.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    WRT getting bulky, try it and see how your body reacts. It's not like one day you're normal and the next day you wake up, look at yourself in the mirror and you see Arnold staring back at you.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes, not at 70# but I want to build to more. I love the thought of squatting my body weight, why? I dont know it sounds strong.
    If you are only planning to lift your body weight you should not have much a problem with bulk (missed that through all the posts). I use to lift with a few females who could leg press over 1200lbs multiple times and they had some monstrous legs. I hated I had to buy my pants to big in the waist because my legs were so big but I loved the way my body looked in the mirror during those days.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options

You're on the right track. I started out squatting 65lbs. I'm now at 200. My thighs are the farthest thing from bulky- they're muscular, but nowhere near "bulky" (I f*c&ing hate that word). There is nothing wrong with progressively building your squat weight.

Thanks for the support - is your butt nowhere near bulky either?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Try using dumb bells. Hold one in each hand and squat. You're at 70 lbs., that make each dumb bell 35 lbs. You can work your way up from there. Think of it as improving your grip while working your legs. When you run out of dumb bells or can no longer hold them, then you have a problem.

The problem with DumbBell squats is you are limited because of the strain on your grip even when you wrap.

My thing on squats is for what purpose are you doing them? If you are a body builder and plan to have massive legs then they are great. If you are just need to have those tight buns that most women and men want, light dumbell squats or even using a curl bar across the wrong on your chest would suffice.

I would say, if you are not trying to get monster sized thighs and are working to tighten up legs and glutes, don't squat more than you can press and that way you will not need a rack.

Really? lifting heavy is going to bulk up my thighs? My goal is to tighten up legs and glutes but I've heard that heavy lifting is the best way to do that? I should add that my goals are really 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Faster knowing that if I do these the 'get skinnier' will come.

Um yeah... don't listen to that person. Bulk comes from exercise volume, diet, and especially for women; adequate testosterone which the average woman doesn't have naturally.

If you enjoy Back Squatting (BB across your back) then no, you need a rack to get better at it. You can get stronger with other exercises but there is NO supplement and no replacement for the Back Squat.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, just to be pedantic, would you suggest that someone who doesn't even have access to a power rack should learn a squat clean in order to be able to practice squats?

It Depends on the alternatives available, but yes, otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. I think too many people have some crazy fear of the lifts being impossible to learn and too technical. At a competitive level, yes there's a lot to fine tune to max out your total, but for an average gym goer to safely and acceptably put up some weight can be picked up fairly quickly. It's also useful even if a rack becomes available, as it can be used for developing mobility and power.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ok - I had a few minutes at work to check out those squats.

Jefferson - how do you ensure you aren't rotating and putting pressure on your lower back? does it matter which hand grips inside to outside.

Clean - wow - that looks amazing but like something I need to ensure the form is perfect to avoid injury. I'd need to stat light with those!

Off to the gym - got my gloves going to try a couple of dumbells ones
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ask if they would be willing to consider getting one. I doubt you are the only one that would use it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Do something for the workplace that requires a reward, then ask for one.. It's pretty much one of the most important things to have in the gym
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this thread, as I'm in the same situation (will be lifting at home with minimal equipment....NO squat rack). I've decided to try the Zerchers. They look great. Thanks!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) Squatting won't make you bulky when eating at a deficit or maintenance. You have to buy to ... um .... bulk.
    2) If you're looking to target your posterior chain until you have access to a squat rack, add in barbell hip thrusts. Those will kick your butt.

As an aside, a woman who is leg pressing 1200 pounds is either juicing or eating at a heck of a surplus to be a body builder. If you're not doing either, then you're not going to bulk. It's that simple. Bulking never happens by accident.

I squat 140, which isn't huge, but it's 20 pounds more than I weigh, and my legs are thin to average, and not even muscly yet.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Try using dumb bells. Hold one in each hand and squat. You're at 70 lbs., that make each dumb bell 35 lbs. You can work your way up from there. Think of it as improving your grip while working your legs. When you run out of dumb bells or can no longer hold them, then you have a problem.

The problem with DumbBell squats is you are limited because of the strain on your grip even when you wrap.

My thing on squats is for what purpose are you doing them? If you are a body builder and plan to have massive legs then they are great. If you are just need to have those tight buns that most women and men want, light dumbell squats or even using a curl bar across the wrong on your chest would suffice.

I would say, if you are not trying to get monster sized thighs and are working to tighten up legs and glutes, don't squat more than you can press and that way you will not need a rack.

Really? lifting heavy is going to bulk up my thighs? My goal is to tighten up legs and glutes but I've heard that heavy lifting is the best way to do that? I should add that my goals are really 1. Get Stronger 2. Get Faster knowing that if I do these the 'get skinnier' will come.

Uhh no. What she wrote is not accurate. My thighs continue to get leaner, stronger and more defined. Keep doing what you're doing, you are on the right track.

It is He (me) and I was a former body builder/power lifter. I am giving advice based on her goals and you are basing your comments on?

Sorry not trying to start a debate - I really would love to know what's best for me - however not sure anyone can give that advice without looking at my true body composition.

If you are eating at a deficit, then you won't be building muscle so thighs should get leaner, stronger and more defined. However, if you are eating at a surplus because you want to build muscle you might see a small increase in size.

I am currently squatting body weight - on a small deficit (150kcals below TDEE) and my thighs are only getting leaner (so far two inches off starting measurement)
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Since this thread started and I learnt about Jefferson squats, they've become an established part of my routine.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Since this thread started and I learnt about Jefferson squats, they've become an established part of my routine.
    A lift that can be a squat OR a deadlift?! :love: :love:
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    A lift that can be a squat OR a deadlift?! :love: :love:

Ha. Depends how low you squat, I guess. Tis a bit "Xzibit", though.