Poor excercise and food management

Options

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Skrilus wrote: »
    I've taken it on myself to start measure out all my food, some foods i'm not exactly sure how to go about measure such as coffee/creamer etc, any times would be great :) i measure my whole break fast this more it's not bad kinda time consuming but i imagine it gets quicks the more you do it thanks for all this positive and helpful tips everyone, i've read each comment and taken something from most of em

awesome!

yes it speeds up as you practice. many foods you will go back to (like the creamer) so you can just copy the previous entry (and then measure on the scale/measuring spoon)

I don't log coffee personally, you probably won't need to at this point for the creamer, use a measuring cup or spoon for that. (ex: I measure a half cup of milk then use that in my 2 coffees).
  • Skrilus
    Skrilus Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love me my international delight
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
  • Skrilus
    Options
    interesting video what are you getting at with it?
  • Skrilus
    Options
    Breakfast what did i do wrong if anything?

h8b54ue7oqs3.png
  • Panini911
    Options
    Great job.

Here are my thoughts:

that seems low for four eggs. are they full eggs? what size? does the carton you buy them in have calories listed per egg?

Did you weight the bacon? was it about 15 grams?

The big one is CHEESE. cheese should really be weighted as it is calorie dense. does the packaging of the cheese indicate calories per weight (Ex: per gram)? if so, weigh the amount of cheese to get the portion right. Even if it also lists "tablespoon" it often says "1 tablespoon (X grams).

for sugar, unless you are using little packets, i would weight it and then select an entry that uses gram or whatever weight measurement used.

Some issues may be the entries you use. it can be hard to pick the right one or find ones that indicate grams/weight. you can ballpark entry by compariing to info on the package (which shoudl give you weight per measurement).
  • Skrilus
    Options
    i actually put the eggs in a bowl and weighted the oz of the eggs in the bowl remove the weight off the bowl and weight the bacon and cheese directly on the scale maybe i shouldn't be measuring everything in Ounces
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Skrilus wrote: »
    i actually put the eggs in a bowl and weighted the oz of the eggs in the bowl remove the weight off the bowl and weight the bacon and cheese directly on the scale maybe i shouldn't be measuring everything in Ounces

Grams are typically more accurate than ounces for solid foods. I use ounces when I estimate for things like meals out, but measure in grams on my scale at home. Using ounces for solids is kind of like measuring the distance from your kitchen to your bathroom in miles instead of feet.
  • Skrilus
    Options
    so are my calories inaccurate then?
  • Panini911
    Options
    maybe, maybe not. it's hard to say without being there!

for example, what does the actual container of eggs and cheese list on their nutritonal info? How are you selecting the entries in MFP?
  • Skrilus
    Options
    yes it does have the info on it, and i'm selecting the closest thing that matches my search
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about that sugar entry. Half an ounce (0.5 oz) of sugar is 55 calories, but that's also about 3.5 teaspoons of sugar. For 2 calories of sugar to be accurate, it would have to be around an eighth of a teaspoon.

Something doesn't add up, there.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, the sugar one is definitely off. Oh, how I wish that a half ounce of sugar only had 2 calories! But yes, it's between 54 and 55 calories for 1/2 ounce of sugar.
  • Salixiana
    Salixiana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pretty easy: a standard large egg is 70 calories. I don't think you actually have to weigh eggs. If you're off a bit because the egg is bigger or smaller, it won't be by much. Plus most of the calories are in the yolks, and some chickens lay larger-yolked eggs than others. But kudos for your attempt to be precise!

The cheese, now. That I weigh out by the gram. Because it's so delicious and so calorie dense. Volume measures can be WAY off.
  • jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Skrilus - I would start by weighing your food until such time that you can accurately eyeball your portions. I started entering my foods in MFP a week in advance so that I knew my caloric and nutrient measures before I ate any food. I always thought I was doing good until I started measuring... With regard to exercise, you don't have to go to the gym. Invest in some resistance bands and you can purchase them through Amazon and they come with instructions. You can get a decent workout with the bands. I bought them because it's almost 20 miles for me to go to the gym so that is a battle from the start. Don't forget your cardio. Best to you.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Skrilus - just wanted to say great job for taking the advice on here and working on weighing your food. I know it sounds little "extra" at first, but it really is the way to go. It takes some practice but you've got this! I've been doing this for 2 years and still weigh everything. It turns into a habit soon enough.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ^^ditto to everything Kathryn said. Excellent start. Once you have your regular entries down, logging goes really fast. It takes a couple minutes to preload a whole day. Then you can make minor adjustments for weight discrepancies. The scale does become second nature. I hope yours has a tare function so you don’t have to subtract dish weight. Just put your plate on scale, slide cooked eggs on, tare to 0, add cheese noting weight, tare, add sauce noting weight, and so on. No measuring spoons to clean. It truly simplifies and demystifies so much. Good luck, OP!
  • Skrilus
    Options
    1rws7kvgmrj8.png

my official day all recorded