Reasonable amount of weight to lose in 3.5 months

Options
I am finally getting serious about losing weight.

I’ve been weighing my self fairly regularly for the last 2 months and I seem to be around 90-91 kgs. 5’8”, 41 year old woman. (I am weighing myself in kgs to keep myself from obsessing about the number in pounds!)

I have basically maintained a weight around this region for the last few years at least. I was 85 kgs before my first pregnancy in 2010/2011. My lowest weight I was 60 kgs in 2003.

I would love to eventually lose about 40 or 50 pounds. But I am settting myself a short term goal for mid-June. I am visiting friends/family in England then and also I just want to be lighter for the summer. Every year the summer gets me the most upset about my weight. I am ready for that to change!

So my question is what is a reasonable amount to lose in 3 or 3.5 months? 20 pounds? 25 pounds? 15 pounds?

For info, I already lead a pretty active lifestyle (17,000 - 20,000 steps a day, including a 3.5 mile walk about 3 times a week). So most of my change will be in food - i.e. fewer calories.
I don’t think I can drastically reduce to say 1,200 cals per day - 1,500 or even 1,800 is probably much more realistic.

Thank you !

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A good safe rule of thumb is 1% per week. Forget working in pounds as one number couldn’t apply universally depend on starting point
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep it at a low level of health risk (which I'd recommend), and if you're without close medical supervision (regular blood tests, etc.) or a very specialized diet (to maintain health), then a rough guideline of 1% of then current body weight weekly, ideally less when within 25 pounds of goal for most people (shrinking loss rate from maybe a pound a week at 25 pounds to goal, then half a pound at 10-15 pounds to goal) . . . at the aggressive end.

Strength training would be helpful, both from an appearance standpoint, and to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing fat. Good nutrition goes without saying, right? ;)

Best wishes!
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I’d never heard of the 1% per week rate - that is super helpful as a goal.

And yes strength training does sound really helpful - does anyone know of a good intro to strength training guide I could look into. I know nothing about it!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I’d never heard of the 1% per week rate - that is super helpful as a goal.

And yes strength training does sound really helpful - does anyone know of a good intro to strength training guide I could look into. I know nothing about it!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds since January 1 on a 1350 calorie lifestyle with no working out. I am currently 130 pounds, 5’4’’. I haven’t felt like I’ve sacrificed much!!!! I have 15 left and hoping to be there by mid June!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    If you have 40-50 pounds to lose, then setting your goal to 1.5 lbs a week is reasonable. When you get down to 30 pounds, drop it to a pound a week. At 15 pounds, drop it to a half pound a week. With your active lifestyle, you won't be restricted to 1200 calories.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Super helpful!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    20% of TDEE, 25% while obese. Generally falls within 0.5% and 1% of bodyweight per week esp if very active (which you sound like)
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Change your exercise routine to include weights/resistance at least every other day. Cardio (walking) is great but to lose weight the best way is to tone or build muscle as it is more metabolically active and burns more calories.

Finding your ideal caloric intake may take a couple of weeks but make sure you get an accurate sample of what you are eating...most people who "eyeball" their calories are either not eating enough or in most cases eating far too much.

Fewer carbs and more protein should be your goals as well as plenty of water.

Slow and steady weight loss should be the ultimate goal. Losing weight fast almost always backfires because people assume once they have reached their target weight that they can simple fall back into old habits. you should aim for .5 lbs. to 1.5 lbs. per week.

Sustained weight loss always requires lifestyle changes that are permanent.