Gaining size and dropping body fat

Options
Can anyone help, I had my ACL repaired in December and I’m trying to gain some size and muscle however I can’t do a lot of leg exercises, and I don’t know if I should eat more or eat less as I’m afraid that if I eat more then I’ll gain unwanted weight, I eat very healthy anyway but I don’t know if I should up my calorie intake to see results or not

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance than, and really try to nail this so body has what it needs to repair more in addition to recovery from workouts.

The results will only be seen if doing a progressive overload lifting routine. Just saying because you don't mention what you'll do to gain some size and muscle. Some could think cardio and that's not going to happen.

Pick something here, know the legs might be delayed because of restrictions, but weigh weekly and measure wherever you gain fat first (usually waist), and if general trend of both going up - you are eating more than maintenance.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

This will be slower than a bulk/cut method - but unless you have the ability to really cause the body the need to add more muscle (along with some fat), this is likely best for now.
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would increase your protein to help repair and maintain current muscle. At least .08 per pound of lean body mass.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Amwa77 wrote: »
    I would increase your protein to help repair and maintain current muscle. At least .08 per pound of lean body mass.

I see this said a lot on here - how do i calculate lean body mass? I presume it's not the same as weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I see this said a lot on here - how do i calculate lean body mass? I presume it's not the same as weight
    @comptonelizabeth
    A.K.A. fat free mass.
    Just roughly estimate your body fat percentage and the rest is your lean mass.

And I hope the poster didn't mean 0.08 per pound of lean mass!

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@comptonelizabeth
    A.K.A. fat free mass.
    Just roughly estimate your body fat percentage and the rest is your lean mass.

And I hope the poster didn't mean 0.08 per pound of lean mass!

Thank you! Yes I assumed they meant 0.8!