Low Calorie Protein Dense foods?

Options

Replies

• Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    With only 30 lbs left to go you should aim for 1 lb loss per week. higher calories, plus adequate protein while lifting will ensure most of what you lose is fat. Not getting enough protein or having too higher of a deficit, given how much fat you have can both lead to muscle loss.

unless you were obese and/or new to lifting (or returning to lifting after time off) you probably didn't build much muscle if any. You can get stronger without building muscle. most strength gains come for CNS adaptation and recruiting more muscles to do the lifts

I mean, I'm kinda new, since January, we've already talked about this haha. There absolutely has been some muscle gain, not a lot but some, I can literally measure it. I was on the lower end of obese, overweight now. 190 is actually just on the high end of healthy according to the chart.

• Spadesheart
    Options
    LushFix wrote: »
    Shadioutwo wrote: »
    Beyond Meat products - I like the 'chicken strips' that are 20g protein per serve and only ~120 calories from memory.

I was just trying to find retailers in Canada that aren't restaurants, it's surprisingly difficult, but an excellent suggestion!

Check out vegansupply you can buy in bulk, but I think they are waiting for it to come back in stock.

https://vegansupply.ca/products/food-service-beyond-meat-lightly-seasoned-chicken-free-strips-2-26kg-bag
    LushFix wrote: »
    Shadioutwo wrote: »
    Beyond Meat products - I like the 'chicken strips' that are 20g protein per serve and only ~120 calories from memory.

I was just trying to find retailers in Canada that aren't restaurants, it's surprisingly difficult, but an excellent suggestion!

Check out vegansupply you can buy in bulk, but I think they are waiting for it to come back in stock.

https://vegansupply.ca/products/food-service-beyond-meat-lightly-seasoned-chicken-free-strips-2-26kg-bag

On this note:

My mother used to feed us something called "nutri nuggets" as a kid in rice. They're soy based and available at any ethnic grocery dried. I didn't think about them until I was looking at these, but they're comparable. 50 grams of the dry stuff is about 170 calories and 26 grams of protein. While I imagine they don't taste quite as good, I have to imagine that they are quite similar in production, and miles cheaper.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    So, it has come to my attention that I need to fit in an extraordinary amount more protein in my diet over the next 3-4 months while I lose the next 30 pounds. I'm getting close to hitting the natural plateau at the weight lifting, and I really need to maintain if I can't grow the muscle.

The soft goal is 0.8 grams per pound of goal weight, which is 190 pounds, so 152 grams of protein. I have ordered protein powder, which I will try to have 3 shakes of daily, for about 72 grams and 390 calories, and that's going to be awful. I normally get around 60 with my regular diet, if I try to keep pace to losing about 2 pound a week.

Please, save me from having to drink a fourth shake. I'm trying to maintain my calorie goal at 1200-1600 calories. What are the most protein dense, calorie light foods I can add into my diet?

As others have said, with only 30 pounds to lose, a goal of losing 2 pounds per week is too aggressive.

Also, with that rate of loss with little fat reserves, you will be losing more muscle along with fat than you would with a more sensible goal.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This thread usually has the answer to such questions:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Scroll through the list until you find foods you enjoy, and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't as much helping you meet your goals.

If you're vegan/vegetarian, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the spreadsheet, but the veg sources are there.

With 30 pounds to goal, and a goal of maintaining/increasing muscle, consider not trying to lose 2 pounds a week. Unless you're doing some highly technical managed diet (and at 60g of protein currently from food, I'm guessing you're not!), you will lose more than the minimum of muscle by continuing at that weight loss rate. It would be a better idea to cut to around 1 pound, pound and a half per week, at the outside; and go to 0.5 pounds at 10-15 to go.

Thank you for the list! To be fair, I am trying. I've ordered 7 kg of powder and will basically have to have it all over the next 3 months. That would get me up to 150, it's just gonna suck. Those shakes are awful.

What's the brand? There may be an ingredient in it you don't like that isn't present in others.

For example, some brands add sucralose, which I find extremely nasty. And some use too much stevia. I can take a little stevia in some brands of chocolate whey, but interestingly, not in the same brand of vanilla whey.

I did some trial and error a few years back and found a brand of plain and a brand of chocolate that I like.

I'm also wondering if you drink them plain? I'd find that very boring.

Tons of smoothie recipes in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728122/looking-for-smoothie-friends
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Scroll through the list until you find foods you enjoy, and eat more of those, less of something else that isn't as much helping you meet your goals.

If you're vegan/vegetarian, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy stuff near the top of the spreadsheet, but the veg sources are there.

With 30 pounds to goal, and a goal of maintaining/increasing muscle, consider not trying to lose 2 pounds a week. Unless you're doing some highly technical managed diet (and at 60g of protein currently from food, I'm guessing you're not!), you will lose more than the minimum of muscle by continuing at that weight loss rate. It would be a better idea to cut to around 1 pound, pound and a half per week, at the outside; and go to 0.5 pounds at 10-15 to go.

Thank you for the list! To be fair, I am trying. I've ordered 7 kg of powder and will basically have to have it all over the next 3 months. That would get me up to 150, it's just gonna suck. Those shakes are awful.

What's the brand? There may be an ingredient in it you don't like that isn't present in others.

For example, some brands add sucralose, which I find extremely nasty. And some use too much stevia. I can take a little stevia in some brands of chocolate whey, but interestingly, not in the same brand of vanilla whey.

I did some trial and error a few years back and found a brand of plain and a brand of chocolate that I like.

Tons of smoothie recipes in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728122/looking-for-smoothie-friends

The stuff I'm currently having is from Six Star, but the 7kg that will come in the mail today will be from Canadian Protein. It's gonna suck unless I add some actual fruit to it regardless. I bought 5 kg of strawberry banana because it was on clearance. Sigh.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The stuff I'm currently having is from Six Star, but the 7kg that will come in the mail today will be from Canadian Protein. It's gonna suck unless I add some actual fruit to it regardless. I bought 5 kg of strawberry banana because it was on clearance. Sigh.

Sure, plain protein powder is dreadful. And not satiating. I would never have PP without adding fat, fiber, and flavor.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Myprotein is quite nice tasting (relatively, obviously!). I have it in Alpro coconut milk, which is pretty low cal too, and tastes really nice. But really, what all the rest are saying is correct - your calories are far too low for your size.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i can get over 100g of protein with protein powder, greek yogurt, chicken tenderloins, salmon. all the good stuffs. you can vary it up by using different spices and such
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You really should not need that much protein powder. Are you vegetarian/vegan? What else do you eat in a normal day?
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The soft goal is 0.8 grams per pound of goal weight,

Are you sure about that? Isn't the rule 0.8 / "Kilogram" and not / "pound"?

Going by the .8/kg formula your goal should be closer to 70g of protein. No?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You really should not need that much protein powder. Are you vegetarian/vegan? What else do you eat in a normal day?

He's trying to get 150g of protein in 1200-1500 cals per day.

OP, the easy answer is to eat a reasonable amount of calories and not set yourself up for the struggle. I don't have any suggestions, as I can't imagine eating so few calories and so much protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »

0.8g per kg of body weight is the minimum to not end up deficient. People who are losing weight or trying to preserve/gain muscle are typically recommended to get 0.8g per lb of goal body weight (or lean body mass). Some others will say that 0.8-1g per lb of body weight is beneficial, though I don't know if that's supported by anything.
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I see I've been averaging 120 grams protein WITHOUT supplements.
    I eat a lot of chicken breast, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, shrimp, black beans, eggs.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm a Canadian as well, and found many veggie options at the Walmart Superstore, and theres a new place where I reside called Healthy Planet. It's an amazing store thats all supplements but also has the vegetarion/keto all the special "options" so to say. It's a franchise type place so maybe you can find one not too far. Also check out health food stores. Many in my area have a surprising selection of frozen and refrigerated options too. Good luck!
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

0.8g per kg of body weight is the minimum to not end up deficient. People who are losing weight or trying to preserve/gain muscle are typically recommended to get 0.8g per lb of goal body weight (or lean body mass). Some others will say that 0.8-1g per lb of body weight is beneficial, though I don't know if that's supported by anything.

That I absolutely would not be able to handle. 220 grams of protein would be actual hell.

150 is doable for 3 months.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

That I absolutely would not be able to handle. 220 grams of protein would be actual hell.

Why only 3 months, then what?
  • Spadesheart
    edited March 2019
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I hit goal weight, if not close to. Then I start eating more, and more varied foods with a slight surplus and try to build a few more pounds of muscle.

The problem isn't so much the amount of protein, it's trying to fit it into that small amount of calories. Life will be much easier once I can have all the other stuff.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    I see I've been averaging 120 grams protein WITHOUT supplements.
    I eat a lot of chicken breast, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, shrimp, black beans, eggs.

What's your daily calorie intake?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I hit goal weight, if not close to. Then I start eating more, and more varied foods with a slight surplus and try to build a few more pounds of muscle.

The problem isn't so much the amount of protein, it's trying to fit it into that small amount of calories. Life will be much easier once I can have all the other stuff.

I see. That is probably fine for now. However, I would consider as you get closer to goal and as you get leaner you decrease your deficit, or at least increase your protein at that point to 1g per lb goalweight (which I would imagine will be even more difficult). Otherwise you risk losing more muscle and basically it really sucks to lose muscle then just gain back what you lost with a bulk. You could really end up spinning your wheels. Again, right now you are probably fine but consider it later on.