Low Calorie Protein Dense foods?

Options

Replies

• neilhiggins765
    neilhiggins765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sci-MX Pro2Go Original Protein Coffee

Get it in little bottles from Poundland, 114 calories and 23g of protein.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jaimydude wrote: »
    The soft goal is 0.8 grams per pound of goal weight,

Are you sure about that? Isn't the rule 0.8 / "Kilogram" and not / "pound"?

Going by the .8/kg formula your goal should be closer to 70g of protein. No?

0.8g per kg of body weight is the minimum to not end up deficient. People who are losing weight or trying to preserve/gain muscle are typically recommended to get 0.8g per lb of goal body weight (or lean body mass). Some others will say that 0.8-1g per lb of body weight is beneficial, though I don't know if that's supported by anything.

That I absolutely would not be able to handle. 220 grams of protein would be actual hell.

150 is doable for 3 months.

Why only 3 months, then what?

I hit goal weight, if not close to. Then I start eating more, and more varied foods with a slight surplus and try to build a few more pounds of muscle.

The problem isn't so much the amount of protein, it's trying to fit it into that small amount of calories. Life will be much easier once I can have all the other stuff.

I see. That is probably fine for now. However, I would consider as you get closer to goal and as you get leaner you decrease your deficit, or at least increase your protein at that point to 1g per lb goalweight (which I would imagine will be even more difficult). Otherwise you risk losing more muscle and basically it really sucks to lose muscle then just gain back what you lost with a bulk. You could really end up spinning your wheels. Again, right now you are probably fine but consider it later on.

It appears that I might have to. My maintainence at goal, with 3 days of exercise is something like 2600 calories, about double what I eat right now, and I work out 5-6 days a week currently. I'm going to have to start easing my diet back up as I approach the goal weight regardless to even be able to handle the extra food without feeling sick.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

0.8g per kg of body weight is the minimum to not end up deficient. People who are losing weight or trying to preserve/gain muscle are typically recommended to get 0.8g per lb of goal body weight (or lean body mass). Some others will say that 0.8-1g per lb of body weight is beneficial, though I don't know if that's supported by anything.

That I absolutely would not be able to handle. 220 grams of protein would be actual hell.

I hit goal weight, if not close to. Then I start eating more, and more varied foods with a slight surplus and try to build a few more pounds of muscle.

The problem isn't so much the amount of protein, it's trying to fit it into that small amount of calories. Life will be much easier once I can have all the other stuff.

I see. That is probably fine for now. However, I would consider as you get closer to goal and as you get leaner you decrease your deficit, or at least increase your protein at that point to 1g per lb goalweight (which I would imagine will be even more difficult). Otherwise you risk losing more muscle and basically it really sucks to lose muscle then just gain back what you lost with a bulk. You could really end up spinning your wheels. Again, right now you are probably fine but consider it later on.

It appears that I might have to. My maintainence at goal, with 3 days of exercise is something like 2600 calories, about double what I eat right now, and I work out 5-6 days a week currently. I'm going to have to start easing my diet back up as I approach the goal weight regardless to even be able to handle the extra food without feeling sick.

You should be dong that now... with only 30 or so lbs to go, you should not be aiming for more than 1 lb loss/week.
  • jgratopp6
    jgratopp6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a really similar diet for the last month or so. I am getting about 180g of protien a day on about 1300-1500 calories. I signed up for a weight loss program and this diet was laid out for me. I lost about 20lbs in the first month, and I almost never feel hungry.

paaalyou1z0z.jpg
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I use a vanilla protein drink (premier protein) in my coffee as my cream, eat high protein oikos zero yogurt & lots of chicken all are low enough in calories yet high in protein good luck to you
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

You should be dong that now... with only 30 or so lbs to go, you should not be aiming for more than 1 lb loss/week.

I still feel fat man, I still look fat. I'm not honestly finding the deficit all that difficult is the thing, if I was I would be begging for ways to slow it down. If I can maintain musculature on the way down, and can do it quickly, that's having my cake and eating it too. Pun intended.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    jgratopp6 wrote: »
    I have been eating a really similar diet for the last month or so. I am getting about 180g of protien a day on about 1300-1500 calories. I signed up for a weight loss program and this diet was laid out for me. I lost about 20lbs in the first month, and I almost never feel hungry.

paaalyou1z0z.jpg

So i have been doing the diet without substantial protein until now, and just dramatically up-ed my protein intake. There is something to this. Eating a really really high protein diet makes it actually difficult to be hungry. I feel full and gassy, if anything.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    Yellerie wrote: »
    I use a vanilla protein drink (premier protein) in my coffee as my cream, eat high protein oikos zero yogurt & lots of chicken all are low enough in calories yet high in protein good luck to you

And to you as well!
  • jgratopp6
    Options

paaalyou1z0z.jpg

So i have been doing the diet without substantial protein until now, and just dramatically up-ed my protein intake. There is something to this. Eating a really really high protein diet makes it actually difficult to be hungry. I feel full and gassy, if anything.

I agree. Definitely gassy for the first couple of weeks, getting better now though.
  • jgratopp6
    Options

paaalyou1z0z.jpg

Yikes... you may want to consider eating your exericse calories back.. only eating 1360 while burning 630 is like eating 730 calories and not exercising... no where enough, assuming that is a normal thing for you. one day here and there it should be okay

I completely agree. I also don't work out everyday, but I know this is not the best way to be losing weight. I am in a weight loss challenge with money on the line lol. As soon as it is over I plan to add at least the calories spent working out back in. but it wont kill me in 6 weeks.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I still feel fat man, I still look fat. I'm not honestly finding the deficit all that difficult is the thing, if I was I would be begging for ways to slow it down. If I can maintain musculature on the way down, and can do it quickly, that's having my cake and eating it too. Pun intended.

That's the problem with our lying eyes...did you take Before pictures and measurements?
  • Spadesheart
    Options

The reason you keep getting push back is because we've seen this a million times before. People insist that what's best for them is to speed straight through to their goal weight, and then they''ll figure out maintenance when they get there. But the thing is, maintenance is the hard part, maintenance is where everyone fails. It's why any kind of weight loss has abysmal success rates. People lose the weight all the time, it's keeping it off that they fall down on.

Just speaking from what I've seen on these boards over the last 3 years - people who lose weight aggressively are far more likely to quit early, are far more likely to get to goal weight and proceed to eat back most of the weight they've lost, are more likely to find themselves with loose skin and not the body shape they wanted. There are certainly people who that's not true for (and vice versa), they raced across the finish line, found their new equilibrium quick, and were happy with the results, so maybe you'll be one of those folks.

Eating enough protein and working a good program "may" mediate some of the muscle loss you will experience from rapid weight loss, but there's no guarantee. And you won't know until you get there. Anyway, we just don't want to see you back here 6 months from now having to start all over. Ultimately, you decide what's right for you, and hopefully the gamble pays off. We just want to make sure you're aware it IS a gamble, which your posts suggest maybe you don't. Anyway, it is out of concern, and best of luck!

Thank you for the very detailed response, and taking the time to write it. I appreciate it, and will try my best to be cognisant of it moving forward.

I have lost weight twice before, but I have never felt as committed, or it being as easy as it has been this time. I just want to do my best to use that momentum.

You are right, maintainence will definitely be harder as it is forever, but I am doing my best and will continue to do so. I hope I can keep moving forward too. I'm sick of the alternative.

Thank you so much.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's the problem with our lying eyes...did you take Before pictures and measurements?

Oh I'm definitely thinner but not quite thin yet hahaha
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You really should not need that much protein powder. Are you vegetarian/vegan? What else do you eat in a normal day?

He's trying to get 150g of protein in 1200-1500 cals per day.

OP, the easy answer is to eat a reasonable amount of calories and not set yourself up for the struggle. I don't have any suggestions, as I can't imagine eating so few calories and so much protein.

I know, I made that point upthread too. But he's saying he's currently consuming 3 protein shakes for 72 g of protein and considering a 4th for, presumably, 96 g of protein.

1600 cal or less (and I fear it's normally more like 1200) and 150 g of protein is challenging, but should not require 4 (or even 3) protein shakes for someone who clearly hates protein shakes.

I ate over 100 g routinely (often more like 120) on 1250 cal -- I am also 5'3, so way shorter than OP, and stopped doing that once I realized I should also be eating back exercise cals, and lost most of my weight on 1500 or more (again, with a goal weight of 120, NOT 190). But I still think that barring issues we haven't been told about there are other ways to get at least a significant part of that protein.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What I'm taking from this thread so far is that you're aiming for a larger than 1000-calorie deficit from your maintenance each day, aiming for 2.2 to 2.8 pounds lost per week, looking to have a diet that's 50% protein, and getting most of that protein from protein powder.

Leaving aside the incredibly aggressive deficit, which others have tried to address and I think is still a bad idea, I'm concerned about the idea that 30-50% of your calories would come from protein powder. I'm not familiar with the brands you've chosen, but the reason most people aim to get their protein from food rather than shakes is that the food comes along with other vitamins that your body needs where the powder does not. Is this a fortified protein that's meant to be used as a real meal replacement?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @Spadesheart My pleasure, just wanted to make sure you understand where we're coming from and that it's not just picking at you :)

@lemurcat2 Fair enough, I struggle a lot with protein so I would probably have to mainline protein shakes to get 150g every day :lol:
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    You really should not need that much protein powder. Are you vegetarian/vegan? What else do you eat in a normal day?

He's trying to get 150g of protein in 1200-1500 cals per day.

OP, the easy answer is to eat a reasonable amount of calories and not set yourself up for the struggle. I don't have any suggestions, as I can't imagine eating so few calories and so much protein.

I know, I made that point upthread too. But he's saying he's currently consuming 3 protein shakes for 72 g of protein and considering a 4th for, presumably, 96 g of protein.

1600 cal or less (and I fear it's normally more like 1200) and 150 g of protein is challenging, but should not require 4 (or even 3) protein shakes for someone who clearly hates protein shakes.

I ate over 100 g routinely (often more like 120) on 1250 cal -- I am also 5'3, so way shorter than OP, and stopped doing that once I realized I should also be eating back exercise cals, and lost most of my weight on 1500 or more (again, with a goal weight of 120, NOT 190). But I still think that barring issues we haven't been told about there are other ways to get at least a significant part of that protein.

I am working on the protein in the food food now, I just got the egg whites and tuna, and some soya chunks from the ethnic grocery (170 calories for 26 grams of protein). This is new for me as I have just been eating less to lose the weight without too much regard for the macros, I haven't counted protein before. Up until now, my gym performance has also been fairly dramatically increasing week over week which is why I was concerned when it slowed down. I should be able to keep it at 3 with the foods suggestions made here, which was the initial purpose of the thread hahaha.
  • Spadesheart
    Options
    What I'm taking from this thread so far is that you're aiming for a larger than 1000-calorie deficit from your maintenance each day, aiming for 2.2 to 2.8 pounds lost per week, looking to have a diet that's 50% protein, and getting most of that protein from protein powder.

Leaving aside the incredibly aggressive deficit, which others have tried to address and I think is still a bad idea, I'm concerned about the idea that 30-50% of your calories would come from protein powder. I'm not familiar with the brands you've chosen, but the reason most people aim to get their protein from food rather than shakes is that the food comes along with other vitamins that your body needs where the powder does not. Is this a fortified protein that's meant to be used as a real meal replacement?

I mean, my diary is open I think. Pretty sure anyone can see what I'm eating. You're welcome to critique.

Trust me, I don't want to drink that much powder if I can avoid it hahaha.